[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
InputLagger

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by InputLagger » 14 Aug 2022, 08:20

Thatweirdinputlag wrote: ↑
14 Aug 2022, 08:04
gadpaw wrote: ↑
12 Aug 2022, 03:26
With flat-iron something changes, it is connected to an extension cord
together with a computer and a monitor.

But this -> active energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNh2YV1_DzM

ofc mb placebo
So you connect a flat iron to the same circuit as your PC & monitor? I don't understand Russlan, couldn't get what the video was saying. I remember reading something about how induction heaters help in reducing harmonics of the 3rd and the 9th on the neutral line. Those harmonics of which are mainly caused by SMPS "Switching Mode Power Supplies" that our PC's and monitor's and practically everything we own now have.
Here's a nice read if you're interested - https://iaeimagazine.org/2002/2002septe ... e-disease/
To the same extension cord as pc and monitor with router plugged.

wadge

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by wadge » 14 Aug 2022, 09:00

Would something like this help with harmonics on single phase current ?

http://sikes-elec.com/Single-phase-harm ... s-10A.html

They also have passive filters : http://filter.sikes-elec.com/filter/Harmonic-Filter

And all sorts of different filters : http://filter.sikes-elec.com/filter

dervu

Post by dervu » 14 Aug 2022, 09:55

Why not measure it by some company with professional meter first if you suspect harmonics instead of throwing money first at something?
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 14 Aug 2022, 10:14

dervu wrote: ↑
14 Aug 2022, 09:55
Why not measure it by some company with professional meter first if you suspect harmonics instead of throwing money first at something?
Instead of buying by yourself they are just waiting for somebody to do so.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 14 Aug 2022, 17:24

wadge wrote: ↑
14 Aug 2022, 09:00

http://sikes-elec.com/Single-phase-harm ... s-10A.html

They also have passive filters : http://filter.sikes-elec.com/filter/Harmonic-Filter

And all sorts of different filters : http://filter.sikes-elec.com/filter
unfortunately we don't have a dedicated electrician here, if you want to pursue this, do it at your own accord. That said, I have absolutely no idea whether this will help or not. The filters in general do help mitigating some of the harmonics found in AC lines, yet i never heard of someone installing a filter that fixed his lag.
dervu wrote: ↑
14 Aug 2022, 09:55
These types of measurements are often quite expansive, and time consuming. Harmonic distortions are not a hit or miss, they fluctuate, and they vary in their timing. Any sort of measuring equipment should be installed and left for at least 4-7 days "with the inclusion of a weekend day", sometimes buying the filter might literally be cheaper than calling for support.

You might be able to trick the power company to come and do a site visit by telling them your equipment is failing rather rapidly and that you're suspecting something's wrong with the electricity. An actual site visit like that shouldn't cost a thing since it's the power comapany's job to keep THD within a tolerable limit specified by the government.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 14 Aug 2022, 19:52

14 Aug 2022, 17:24

These types of measurements are often quite expansive, and time consuming. Harmonic distortions are not a hit or miss, they fluctuate, and they vary in their timing. Any sort of measuring equipment should be installed and left for at least 4-7 days "with the inclusion of a weekend day", sometimes buying the filter might literally be cheaper than calling for support.

You might be able to trick the power company to come and do a site visit by telling them your equipment is failing rather rapidly and that you're suspecting something's wrong with the electricity. An actual site visit like that shouldn't cost a thing since it's the power comapany's job to keep THD within a tolerable limit specified by the government.
What is expensive? Every POCO should have an option for its customers to check the quality of power delivered to your flat/house if there are any concerns. For PQ-Box connected for 18 days I paid 30 euro and I had all measurements which were included in requirements and nothing beyond it. It means harmonics, power factor, voltage fluctuations, frequency fluctuations etc.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 15 Aug 2022, 02:20

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote: ↑
14 Aug 2022, 19:52
14 Aug 2022, 17:24

What is expensive? Every POCO should have an option for its customers to check the quality of power delivered to your flat/house if there are any concerns. For PQ-Box connected for 18 days I paid 30 euro and I had all measurements which were included in requirements and nothing beyond it. It means harmonics, power factor, voltage fluctuations, frequency fluctuations etc.
Yes, if done through the power company "hence my 2nd paragraph, please read!". After 3 calls to my power company a while back, they sent a guy that "supposedly" did some tests "without even contacting me when he arrived" and then reported that the electricity is working in order, and when I asked them to give me the person's number so I can ask him more details they said I can't contact him directly and that my electricity has no problems in it. Thats when I found a private company that works on rather big projects and asked them if they can do a small thing like that, the engineer said and i quote said; "It will cost you a lot, even if I was free to do it, it'll take up to a week of testing and multiple visits, which would costs about 250-280jds "equivalent to $400" not to mention that even finding a problem with your line might not be fixable through us and you'd still have to go back to your power company, unless you want to invest in filters or transformers".

What were the results of your line testing?
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 15 Aug 2022, 08:36

15 Aug 2022, 02:20
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 02-36-57.png
Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 02-36-57.png (725.39 KiB) Viewed 3810 times

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 15 Aug 2022, 12:28

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote: ↑
15 Aug 2022, 08:36
15 Aug 2022, 02:20
that looks good, not much knowledge into properly reading this though. Unless the tolerant level is already set too high for PC's. No idea.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2022, 22:03

Test results are only an approximate canary in a coal mine and is no guarantee, alas. Manufacturing variances can also mean a different power supply will test very different.

The tough part for real world computer usage -- is one computer may be very resistant to power issues at 2x accepted limits, while other falls apart at 1/10th accepted limited. So your virtual "green line" may not be the same as the reviewers' green line. And your problem may (frequently) very well end up being 100% unrelated to electricity/interference-related issues.

This is all testing crapshoot due to the invisibleness of all of this, to the average end user. Just wanted to add that caveat.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!