Spread Spectrum

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Xehet

Re: Spread Spectrum

Post by Xehet » 06 Sep 2021, 18:47

SixRavens wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 17:49
Downclocking seems to work tho PC has booted weird: slower and more silent than usual. Still fluctuating with and without Spread Spectrum(
I would say that overall games feel better for me with BCLK Spread Spectrum disabled and there are less fluctuations in Bus Speed. Might there be more hidden Spread Spectrum settings that are affecting it? Or perhaps some interrupt settings that make the system "stutter" a bit?
Or there is just some voodoo stuff :shock:
There are also RFI, PCIe and various other spread spectrum options in some mobos, it is not as common as BCLK spread spectrum though. No matter what I disable, my BCLK keeps fluctuating as well.

You can try to find hidden power options and possibly power saving options, there often some hidden ones that effect the power profile during the boot.

I doubt that the solution would be that easy though, after all many people experience issues like EMI.

nax_dv

Post by nax_dv » 08 Sep 2021, 15:44

on my z490 unify bios, unfortunately, theres no way to disable bclk spread spectrum. even if bios is set at 100, some software programs read it at 99.98 and on cpu-z it fluctuates up and down from 99.98-100.02 ish. its annoying, ive asked msi to unlock the setting in their bios, its been an issue for awhile. i dont know why they started hiding this option in their bios settings again

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 08 Sep 2021, 19:47

Most programs read 99.98 but that doesn't mean the bclock isn't 100. It's just how programs are updating information.
For cpu-z you need to use BusClock=0 in cpuz.ini.
There are cases where some boards have issues with XMP memory profiles and you have to manually set bclock to 100.
Spread Spectrum lowers bclock a bit so you need to disable it to get 100.

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 09 Sep 2021, 04:48

nax_dv wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:44
on my z490 unify bios, unfortunately, theres no way to disable bclk spread spectrum. even if bios is set at 100, some software programs read it at 99.98 and on cpu-z it fluctuates up and down from 99.98-100.02 ish. its annoying, ive asked msi to unlock the setting in their bios, its been an issue for awhile. i dont know why they started hiding this option in their bios settings again
You can try using SCEWIN or even mod your bios to change Spread Spectrum options, but your fluctuations are bellow 0.1 range so I assume the fluctuations will continue without spread spectrum as well.
MatrixQW wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 19:47
Most programs read 99.98 but that doesn't mean the bclock isn't 100. It's just how programs are updating information.
For cpu-z you need to use BusClock=0 in cpuz.ini.
There are cases where some boards have issues with XMP memory profiles and you have to manually set bclock to 100.
Spread Spectrum lowers bclock a bit so you need to disable it to get 100.
I didn't know about BusClock=0 so I checked it online as well and read that some people get 100.00 readings with it, however, for me, BusClock=0 causes BCLK to have more fluctuations in CPU-Z, instead of 99.98-100.01 (with BusClock=1), 99.99-100.12 (with BusClock=0), occasionally it is exactly 100.00 with BusClock=0 though. Also, I manually overclock my RAM but I tried XMP on and off before as well, and tried it again now, it makes no difference to my BCLK readings. My BCLK is already set to 100.00, and currently spread spectrum is disabled. With spread spectrum enabled, my BCLK used to be static but now its fluctuating between 25.xx to 200.xx, so I keep it disabled.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 09 Sep 2021, 19:41

Unreazz wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 07:35
i randomly changed my blck today from 100 to 99.98 to check myself if i see any diffrences and after i applied, my pc immediatel shut down to restart. my rig was restarting but not with full energy somehow, my fans barely rotated and overall it was not booting. i scared the shit out that i messed something up and broke my rig soo i forced restart threw the power button and it booted normaly again.

when i was in the bios again i felt very weird mouse movement, like it was not 1:1 anymore... it was like ice skating sooo i changed it back to 100 and everything seems to be normal again
That means your bios settings reset if your fan speeds are low. There's so many bios settings that you should modify. There's many power/clock gating, power saving, and timers you can adjust for better latency.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 09 Sep 2021, 19:47

BLCK SS isn't the only form of spread spectrum. FIVR Spread Spectrum, RFI Spread Spectrum, pcie pll ssc, VRM spread spectrum etc.
I recommend trying the others. A lot of bios settings are hidden (thanks to board manufacturers being useless like usual). There's literally no reason not to let people have access to all bios settings with proper documentation. This is really pathetic actually. I use pre compiled version of SCEWIN to modify my bios settings. I will soon flash a fully unlocked version of my bios and i'll document any more settings. I just helped a guy with his intel board, and holy shit there's so much. So many power saving features and other bs. Should he report back with positive results, that's more than 5 people who have been benefiting from it & there's something going on.

aerin

Post by aerin » 22 Sep 2021, 13:35

Eonds wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 19:47
BLCK SS isn't the only form of spread spectrum. FIVR Spread Spectrum, RFI Spread Spectrum, pcie pll ssc, VRM spread spectrum etc.
I recommend trying the others. A lot of bios settings are hidden (thanks to board manufacturers being useless like usual). There's literally no reason not to let people have access to all bios settings with proper documentation. This is really pathetic actually. I use pre compiled version of SCEWIN to modify my bios settings. I will soon flash a fully unlocked version of my bios and i'll document any more settings. I just helped a guy with his intel board, and holy shit there's so much. So many power saving features and other bs. Should he report back with positive results, that's more than 5 people who have been benefiting from it & there's something going on.
eonds lets be real u aint gonna flash for the next 2223902 years weve already tried it and u kept getting errors. unless you finally decide to learn using afudos / flashrom ur not gonna flash a bios w afuwin