[Troubleshooting Equipment] ways to mitigate interference

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
nick4567

Re: [Troubleshooting Equipment] ways to mitigate interference

Post by nick4567 » 02 Oct 2021, 04:16

Magnus opus part 1

ground loops and their potential to cause interference as well as act as a very very strong antenna for interference, there are 2 types of ground when you are talking about a pc system the home/safety ground aswell as the ground to the pc case (ex psu is grounded to pc case by screw as well as motherboard and hdd) effectively the difference in voltage potential of the reference ground for a circuit which shares multiple grounding paths is what creates a ground loop; solution the single point ground i will explain in this post how to effectively single point ground both the pc and ur home this would eliminate a huge antenna that picks up all the emi and rf and make all of ur issues significantly better.

Single point ground the pc, this is relatively straight forward all you need is some nylon screws and electrical tape (for the i/o plate) you are gonna want to replace all metal standoffs but one with nylon standoffs for the motherboard generally the best place to keep ur metal standoff would be by the 24 pin connector (wire that powers the motherboard) and replace all but one metal screws for the psu to pc case

Single point ground home ground is much more difficult and will require a really good electrician, basically u r going to need to ground ur home using only one path connected to one point at the bar, example ur home ground is connected to water pipes as well as gas pipes and possibly steel bars as well as a rod, if all of these are done using a different wire connected to multiple points at the grounding bar then a loop can form.

Some links if u want to deep dive more into the theory

https://www.csemag.com/articles/groundi ... -or-multi/

http://www.industrial-electronics.com/DAQ/sss_5-0.html

Slender

Post by Slender » 11 Nov 2021, 15:47

nick4567 wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2021, 04:16
Magnus opus part 1

ground loops and their potential to cause interference as well as act as a very very strong antenna for interference, there are 2 types of ground when you are talking about a pc system the home/safety ground aswell as the ground to the pc case (ex psu is grounded to pc case by screw as well as motherboard and hdd) effectively the difference in voltage potential of the reference ground for a circuit which shares multiple grounding paths is what creates a ground loop; solution the single point ground i will explain in this post how to effectively single point ground both the pc and ur home this would eliminate a huge antenna that picks up all the emi and rf and make all of ur issues significantly better.

Single point ground the pc, this is relatively straight forward all you need is some nylon screws and electrical tape (for the i/o plate) you are gonna want to replace all metal standoffs but one with nylon standoffs for the motherboard generally the best place to keep ur metal standoff would be by the 24 pin connector (wire that powers the motherboard) and replace all but one metal screws for the psu to pc case

Single point ground home ground is much more difficult and will require a really good electrician, basically u r going to need to ground ur home using only one path connected to one point at the bar, example ur home ground is connected to water pipes as well as gas pipes and possibly steel bars as well as a rod, if all of these are done using a different wire connected to multiple points at the grounding bar then a loop can form.

I understand correctly, I change all the screws on the motherboard, except 1, and on the power supply and leave 1 of 4

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 15 Nov 2021, 10:49

Slender wrote: ↑
11 Nov 2021, 15:47
Magnus opus part 1

I understand correctly, I change all the screws on the motherboard, except 1, and on the power supply and leave 1 of 4
u feel any change?

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 15 Nov 2021, 14:30

Magnus opus part 1

yes, but not the screws the standoffs i made a mistake in the post

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 15 Nov 2021, 14:41

in terms of mitigating the susceptibility of your pc componenets to radiated noise you are going to want to shield it via a case that is secc standard (secc is a commercial standard all steel case so it is slightly more expensive than a normal case secc can absorb both rf fields as well as magnetic fields) there is no windows on these cases they r relatively ugly but they will at the very least possibly improve your experience if you are (especially if you are dealing with radiated noise), one more thing i would advise is to possibly get in contact with ham radio operators if they are near by with testing equipment and attempt to test the noise floor of your location should it exceed a certain threshhold the regulatory body of your country would get involved (regulatory bodies love to sue big companies)

Slender

Post by Slender » 15 Nov 2021, 17:29

Mugabi wrote: ↑
15 Nov 2021, 10:49
Magnus opus part 1

u feel any change?
I haven't tried it yet, to be honest I have no idea where to start..

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 15 Nov 2021, 20:22

15 Nov 2021, 17:29
Mugabi wrote: ↑
15 Nov 2021, 10:49
Magnus opus part 1

u feel any change?
I haven't tried it yet, to be honest I have no idea where to start..
you unscrew your motherboard you then take it out and replace all standoffs but one with nylon standoffs u r gonna want to look up ur case online to get the correct size standoffs really not that complicated