Some New Interesting Findings on My Long Battle With Input Lag and Desync Issues

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Anonymous768119

Re: Some New Interesting Findings on My Long Battle With Input Lag and Desync Issues

Post by Anonymous768119 » 21 Apr 2022, 20:25

I am not sure about that "infected" mouse and keyboard theory. I haven't noticed the difference even for one minute between many wired gaming mice, including S-Tier wireless Razer.

https://streamable.com/9ik4y2

What do you think about that? I can't really tell if it is abnormal.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Some New Interesting Findings on My Long Battle With Input Lag and Desync Issues

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 22 Apr 2022, 06:13

Mr1991 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 12:15
Some people will tell you otherwise, but I’m pretty confident this is true, since I built a secondary pc for my own personal requirements I noticed a few strange things, I built it for native Windows 7 use so it’s pretty old hardware, when I first built it I originally had some generic ram in it, I ordered some low latency ddr3 ram for it and when I first put it in I instantly noticed an improvement in mouse response, on desktop, at first I thought maybe the ram before hand was simply no good and that was the difference, but after a while this improvement in responsiveness seemed to diminish, back to the state of the older ram, I also bought a usb 2.0 pcie card, so I could have my keyboard on a separate usb controller to my mouse, same thing when I first installed it, thought to myself this is all I needed all along, loaded up a game I was playing, was miss clicking so much less, seemed like clicks just seemed to land more correctly, without me putting much thought into it, a bit of time goes by and as with the ram, it went back to its natural state after a day or so

Now this is where it gets strange imo, I took the pcie card out as I was testing an old ps/2 keyboard to potentially take any load off mouse input, everything was all ok, then, some time after, maybe a month or more, I re-plugged the pcie card to try it again… exact same thing, felt good again, if I let my spare components sit there for a while with no use, (I’d estimate maybe a week or so), it seems to fix that “infected” state, which some people like to call it, I’ve also noticed it to a lesser degree with mice, and other components, my issue is prob no way near as bad as yours, by the sound of it, but the “clean/responsive” vs “slightly dulled down” is still there, it’s mostly me being picky.

I just wanted to write this out because some people who claim the whole “infected” parts thing get labelled as whackos, I’m 99% confident it’s true, but some people say it’s permanent and you need to throw away “infected” peripherals/components, which isn’t true.
Maybe they become magnetized or something similar? I'm trying to find a better suited term for "infected" since it's too broad. Demagnetization also happens naturally over time, maybe that explains why it works normal after you unhook it for a week or so and then hook it back again?
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 24 Apr 2022, 13:46

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 20:25
I am not sure about that "infected" mouse and keyboard theory. I haven't noticed the difference even for one minute between many wired gaming mice, including S-Tier wireless Razer.

You can’t really judge it too much by clicking alone, mouse movement is a constant stream of thousands of input, which is why any discrepancies is going to be more noticeable moving the cursor around, (or moving the crosshair around in an fps), usually (imo) bad electricity will come across as if your inputs are smoothed out, or heavily watered down. And in worse cases some people see worsening of their monitor clarity

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 24 Apr 2022, 22:26

Mr1991 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 13:46
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 20:25

You can’t really judge it too much by clicking alone, mouse movement is a constant stream of thousands of input, which is why any discrepancies is going to be more noticeable moving the cursor around, (or moving the crosshair around in an fps), usually (imo) bad electricity will come across as if your inputs are smoothed out, or heavily watered down. And in worse cases some people see worsening of their monitor clarity
personally my motion clarity is severely reduced. My latency certainly changes but my guess it's some hardware/OS issue not EMI or anything of that nature.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2022, 19:14

MontyTheAverage wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 00:51
I forgot the possible electrical section is separate. I don't know how to move it there. Maybe admin will help.
Moved for you.

If this is determined non-electrical (it's commonly wild goose chases / red herring, alas), we can move it back.

P.S. There's no such thing as an "infected" mouse or keyboard. The bigger problem is the cables of the mouse/keyboard is subject to interference -- moving a mouse cable 3 inches closer to a monitor power supply increased lag for 1 user. (Like the LG 5K WiFi problem that led to a LG monitor recall). There's a lot of non-product-recall situations (e.g. 100 true EMI situations out of 10,000 users) where one gadget is emitting so much EMI that it injects into a mouse cable or keyboard cable. Move all USB cables further away from your other electronics / power bricks.

Also, in high-wire-EMI situations, the best wireless gaming mice can have lower latency than wired mouse. This is rare, but this is one possible solution.

Sometimes the latency is port-related, not cable-related. USB hubs can get congested, especially if you buy multiple high-poll-Hz devices and hook to the same pair of USB ports on the motherboard. Another solution is USB roulette, as some USB ports go really noisy. USB Port Roulette To Reduce Latency: Try different USB ports, try a PCIe USB card, etc
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 29 Apr 2022, 10:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 19:14
MontyTheAverage wrote:
I forgot the possible electrical section is separate. I don't know how to move it there. Maybe admin will help.
Moved for you.

If this is determined non-electrical (it's commonly wild goose chases / red herring, alas), we can move it back.

P.S. There's no such thing as an "infected" mouse or keyboard. The bigger problem is the cables of the mouse/keyboard is subject to interference -- moving a mouse cable 3 inches closer to a monitor power supply increased lag for 1 user. (Like the LG 5K WiFi problem that led to a LG monitor recall). There's a lot of non-product-recall situations (e.g. 100 true EMI situations out of 10,000 users) where one gadget is emitting so much EMI that it injects into a mouse cable or keyboard cable. Move all USB cables further away from your other electronics / power bricks.

Also, in high-wire-EMI situations, the best wireless gaming mice can have lower latency than wired mouse. This is rare, but this is one possible solution.

Sometimes the latency is port-related, not cable-related. USB hubs can get congested, especially if you buy multiple high-poll-Hz devices and hook to the same pair of USB ports on the motherboard. Another solution is USB roulette, as some USB ports go really noisy. USB Port Roulette To Reduce Latency: Try different USB ports, try a PCIe USB card, etc
our experience is different you need to explain that
when we got into a fixed place and try play there everything is ok
until we plug our mouse from our place where we have a problem, and again when we plug back a mouse from a perfect place everything is ok you can do that again and again

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 29 Apr 2022, 16:11

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 19:14
MontyTheAverage wrote:
Moved for you.

I disagree, like I said in a previous post if I leave certain hardware components around without usage for a week+, it can have a positive effect on my input, minimal, but it’s there.

That’s not to say that your idea of cables being close is wrong, tho, but that doesn’t mean other variables aren’t influencing effects, there’s multiple, multiple variables.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2022, 18:04

Unixko wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 10:22
our experience is different you need to explain that
when we got into a fixed place and try play there everything is ok
until we plug our mouse from our place where we have a problem, and again when we plug back a mouse from a perfect place everything is ok you can do that again and again
Mr1991 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 16:11
I disagree, like I said in a previous post if I leave certain hardware components around without usage for a week+, it can have a positive effect on my input, minimal, but it’s there.

That’s not to say that your idea of cables being close is wrong, tho, but that doesn’t mean other variables aren’t influencing effects, there’s multiple, multiple variables.
This might more deserveworthy be in the other forum, obviously. But I don't have time to validate the OP's likelihood of EMI vs non-EMI, and I simply followed their thread-move request, since this ball could go either direction to either goal line. (But I agree, the non-EMI team is much stronger though)

But my reply was not targeted at you, but to validate the possible angle. This is often NOT an EMI issue. However, only >99% of the time it's not EMI (whether it be two sigma or five sigma, pick your number, but it's definitely ain't 100%).

Please note that there is an uncountable number of kinds of desync issues (potentially millions of causes) -- software related, hardware related, etc.

What I say is not necessarily applicable to this specific game for this specific situation.

The true fact neither of us are wrong -- this type of problem is one of those "no two snowflakes are identical"

This ain't a "this or that", "us or them", "red or blue" type of polarized issue. It's a vastly complicated problem containing a horrendous number of variables that are interacting with each other. Sometimes it's a dominoe-effect situation. Desync can be triggered in certain software by very unrelated things.

The problem is that forum threads are silos, and topics have to be moved back and fourth.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NJb

Post by NJb » 10 May 2022, 17:48

Your story sounds awfully similar to mine. Read this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9113

You're literally the first one I've seen who realized the problem also comes from the devices that you plug in.
Sadly, no fix yet

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 11 May 2022, 16:25

NJb wrote:
10 May 2022, 17:48
Your story sounds awfully similar to mine. Read this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9113

You're literally the first one I've seen who realized the problem also comes from the devices that you plug in.
Sadly, no fix yet
Since you actually haven't found a fix, I'm assuming the input lag came back? even on an entire new setup and apartment? If that's the case then it would be nice of you to update your thread regarding this, since the last thing you mention there is that everything is working perfectly fine.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini