AW2725DF flicker - possibly DSC related?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
artisanenjoyer

AW2725DF flicker - possibly DSC related?

Post by artisanenjoyer » 16 May 2024, 02:35

Hello guys, been reading this forum for many years intermittently but this is the first time I've had to make a post as I can't find anyone else discussing this issue.

Basically, my monitor came in the other day and it's beautiful except for one thing: it flickers slightly (most notably in dark scenes).

I tried to do my due dilligence and tested several settings/configurations to no avail:
-HDR off in windows
-HDR off in osd
-VRR on
-VRR off
-Lower brightness
-Lower color depth
-Tested another DP cable
-Tested another DP port
-Tested on PS5

Now, of all these things, only another DP port and PS5 reduced this flicker. In fact, on the PS5 I couldn't see any at all. Another DP port only reduced it. Then I realized that the PS5 only outputs 120Hz. So then I moved on to testing different refresh rates:
-360hz, flicker
-240hz, flicker
-144hz, no flicker

I had a hunch while I was testing at this point it was related to DSC but I didn't look up the bandwidth values it would activate at, and sure enough, above 144hz DSC activates.

So, I guess the evidence points to DSC causing my flicker in dark scenes, unless I'm missing something? I hope I am wrong, because I can't actually do anything about it if not.

artisanenjoyer

Re: AW2725DF flicker - possibly DSC related?

Post by artisanenjoyer » 17 May 2024, 08:52

update: I don't think it is DSC related after all. I found the screen test option in the osd and its happening there, so it's either a "feature" of the monitor or faulty hardware. Will contact Dell tomorrow.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2024, 21:30

DSC does not do this type of flicker.

Something else is causing it, such as insufficient capacitoring of a PWM-driven backlight at low brightnesses.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

artisanenjoyer

Post by artisanenjoyer » 06 Jun 2024, 02:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
21 May 2024, 21:30
DSC does not do this type of flicker.

Something else is causing it, such as insufficient capacitoring of a PWM-driven backlight at low brightnesses.
Yes, it was a faulty unit. I received a new monitor on the 24th which does not have the issue.

Sorry for the late reply, had covid lol.

thizito

Post by thizito » 18 Jul 2024, 03:59

also love to warn you but
when in 240hz the monitor uses DSC off automatically even in DP.
so if it flickers.. xd

u can use a bunch of combinations in the OSD buttons until get service menu
when u have service menu
u have DSC ON OFF showing in normal menu