Is it worth "upgrading" from AW3423DW to OLED G9?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
enterprise24

Is it worth "upgrading" from AW3423DW to OLED G9?

Post by enterprise24 » 29 Jul 2023, 20:35

Hi, I can spend $200 more after selling the AW3423DW to buy the OLED G9. (Actually the upgrade cost can be nothing since I also have Acer XR341CK ready for sell).

I saw some post on Reddit about gsync issue on the OLED G9. Anyone got this issue?
Also is it worth ditching the gsync module? I know that OLED benefit is almost instantaneous response time (around 0.5ms according to rtings, tftcentral) so variable overdrive provided by gsync module may not be important.
But LFC done by hardware side (gsync module) should still in theory be better than LFC done by software side (driver) right?

Anything else that I may miss from the gsync module?

The reason for upgrading is simply I want to try 32:9 but I'm concern about 1800r curve. On the AW3423DW 1800r is perfectly fine but on OLED G9 I think 1000r might be better suit. Combined with some gsync issue that I read it seems like it may not worth the trouble to upgrade?

Also I will certainly lose the burn in warranty from Dell although I do take care my AW as best as I can (calibrate SDR brightness to 60 nits, hide desktop icons and taskbar, use solid black wallpaper, 2 minutes monitor sleep after inactivity, dark mode everywhere when possible, minimum UI brightness in supported games).

Any opinion is welcome.