Weird issue of having V-Sync ON (NVCP) + G-SYNC ON + FPS CAP and still having screen tearing issues

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Akso

Re: Weird issue of having V-Sync ON (NVCP) + G-SYNC ON + FPS CAP and still having screen tearing issues

Post by Akso » 15 Oct 2023, 03:14

jorimt wrote:
12 Oct 2023, 09:03
Akso wrote:
12 Oct 2023, 03:56
I remember that before having my multi-monitor setup, Ive played a bit with only the Asus one plugged in. It was smooth and working great. Is MPO the culprit or maybe the Nvidia Inspector thingy with the Multi-compatible/Single-compatible monitor setting in G-SYNC ?
Did you know which settings to setup for multi-monitor maybe ?
You can try disabling MPO, but it may cause more issues than not depending on your setup.

As for the multi-monitor settings in NVI, it shouldn't make a difference what it's set to if you only have the ASUS plugged into the GPU.
Akso wrote:
12 Oct 2023, 03:56
Maybe you are right, its related to latency. But I still find it strange that at 140-170 fps the difference is substential. Maybe its an OLED thing with how fast the pixels are.
Due to the near instantaneous pixel response times of OLED, lower framerate judder due to sample-and-hold persistence can be more apparent on OLED than LCD, and the lower the framerate, the more apparent it is.

So mix that with what I explained previously, and it certainly won't help. I.E. a superior display can reveal content limitations not previously seen.

After trying a lot of things (1 or 2 monitor plugged in, MPO disabled, different G-sync disabled etc...), 140-160 FPS feels still choppy. Maybe its CPU related, I have a 12900k ? Feel desperate at this point

jorimt

Re: Weird issue of having V-Sync ON (NVCP) + G-SYNC ON + FPS CAP and still having screen tearing issues

Post by jorimt » 16 Oct 2023, 09:06

Akso wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 03:14
140-160 FPS feels still choppy.
"Choppy" is not descriptive enough, and does not rule out whether what you're seeing is normal or expected; as I've stated previously, lower frame/refresh rates will feel/look worse than higher ones, especially in direct contrast.

For instance, try playing a game at ~240 FPS @240Hz for, say, 20 minutes, then limit it to 60 FPS. It will likely feel unplayable to you until you let yourself acclimate.

If anything beyond that is going on with your particular configuration (that we haven't already ruled out and/or discussed here), I have not been able to discern it from your descriptions.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Akso

Post by Akso » 16 Oct 2023, 16:17

jorimt wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 09:06
Akso wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 03:14
140-160 FPS feels still choppy.
"Choppy" is not descriptive enough, and does not rule out whether what you're seeing is normal or expected; as I've stated previously, lower frame/refresh rates will feel/look worse than higher ones, especially in direct contrast.

For instance, try playing a game at ~240 FPS @240Hz for, say, 20 minutes, then limit it to 60 FPS. It will likely feel unplayable to you until you let yourself acclimate.

If anything beyond that is going on with your particular configuration (that we haven't already ruled out and/or discussed here), I have not been able to discern it from your descriptions.
Its like stuttering that make games not smooth at all at those framerate. I've taken a look at my frametimes, they seem normal.
For comparison I've played on my second monitor, Acer Predator 240hz QHD that has Adaptive Sync like the Asus one and just the IPS panel as the difference.

I've locked Warzone to 180 fps on both of my tests and for sure, my game feels way smoother on my Acer monitor.

Do you know if a VRR module can be broken or bugged ? My monitor was bought open box so there is a chance that someone returned it because of it...

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Oct 2023, 17:51

Akso wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 16:17
For comparison I've played on my second monitor, Acer Predator 240hz QHD that has Adaptive Sync like the Asus one and just the IPS panel as the difference.

I've locked Warzone to 180 fps on both of my tests and for sure, my game feels way smoother on my Acer monitor.

Do you know if a VRR module can be broken or bugged ?
It's very unlikely for the module to be faulty, but you can attempt the below test and follow its instructions to rule out frame skipping (which is virtually unheard of with native G-SYNC monitors):
https://testufo.com/frameskipping

If the above comes back negative, and your IPS model (you didn't mention which model) still feels smoother at the same framerates vs. your OLED at all the same settings, then like I mentioned earlier, you could be sensitive to the judder that's more apparent at lower framerates due to OLED's near instantaneous pixel response times.

To be clear, there are only so many things that can make it feel "choppy" at the display-level, after which point it comes down to the particular panel type's characteristics and the limitations of physics.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Akso

Post by Akso » 31 Oct 2023, 09:01

To give a little update for someone in the future :
After some research, I've found that maybe the issue was DPC latency. Latency Mon shows me that things were going all over the place.
After following some advice from the Internet, I was been able to reduce drastically my latency and some weird spikes werent happening.
I have clean some old mice drivers with DriverCleaner too.
After that, I've disabled any changes that I've made related to full screen optimizations + put G-Sync in windowless and fullscreen mode + hide taskbar on the second screen + any GPU related animations (like Chrome or Discord). Since DX12 permit applications to run like windowed fullscreen without the input lag issue of windowed fullscreen, its better to have Gsync in both mode enable.

After all of this, my game felt smooth even at slower FPS on both monitor. I cant tell what exactly was the issue but I do think it was the DPC one.