Innocn 15.6" 4k OLED Monitor Testing PU15-PRE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Naveronasis

Innocn 15.6" 4k OLED Monitor Testing PU15-PRE

Post by Naveronasis » 16 Aug 2022, 00:47

Okay, so I did it, I went out and bought one of those laptop-turned-desktop portable OLED monitors. I actually bought 3 of them Magedok, Innocn, and Virzen.

Right out of the gate the Virzen won on response time and the Magedok won on inputs, but both had bad low gray uniformity. (we are talking marginal 1% blacks where the OLED's first turn on) leading me to return them. On the Virzen this looked to be a manufacturing flaw but on the Magedok UPS had its way with the package and smashed one end and it was the same end with the un-even low level gray. So It may have been damage.

That left me with the star of this test/review the Innocn 15.6" 4k OLED Monitor Testing PU15-PRE Lets get straight to it. It's AMOLED and performs spectacularly as you would expect from an OLED. The panel is made by Samsung. Oddly Innocn seems to be under-selling the performance on it boasting Brightness: 300CD/m2(Typ.) and a contrast ratio of 100,000:1. The blacks are pure black, emitting absolutely no light at all in a pitch black room and with a dark gradient on you can not tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins in the dark.

As for the peak brightness it says that it is 300CD/M2 or 300nits and while I have no way to validate this claim it is bright enough to be hard to look at on a white text document, much brighter than my quantum dot monitor when at peak and I am running the Innocn at 100% contrast and only 56% brightness. It is brighter than my phone's oled as well (Nubia red magic 6 pro) so you will not be disappointed with the overall brightness of this screen.

The one area where the claims of Innocn are NOT valid is in the "HDR" performance. This display does not identify as HDR and will NOT do any HDR standards. However with it's excellent black level and high brightness you still get a satisfying "pop" experience on bright areas that will not disappoint. The Magedok and Virzen displays had similar issues.

The 60hz display performs better on motion clarity than my LCD displays, but nothing like a tube and likely nothing like the big brother 120hz tv's and ultrawide OLED monitors available today. Photos below but I would caution you that with such a small and high resolution display focus was a major factor and real life performance far exceeds what you will see below. I would say it is closer to a 75hz display than the fairly average 60hz looking LCD like performance you see below. One benefit is that it has no overdrive and no over-shoot when it comes to motion blur so if you are like me and find overshoot absolutely intolerable at any level you will be satisfied.

The last thoughts that comes to mine before the photos is that the size of this display is not as "small" as it sounds once you position it closer to you with a proper tablet stand. With my "NEWSOUL Portable Monitor Stand" I can turn this monitor any way I like and use the touch screen features to play Android games or tablet classics like Plant's VS Zombies on Steam. Also I can easily flip the monitor 180 degrees to help ward off burn in from UI elements. Something that a TV or OLED monitor at a larger size can NOT easily do without a vesa mount. Remember, many gaming laptops are in the 15-17" range and at 15.6 inches you can have a satisfying gaming experience as long as you're not trying out Factorio at max zoom but with a 4k pixel density at this size the DPI is so astronomical that it is a mind blowing experience. Throwing my 3080ti at it to play some RTX titles like Minecraft and Cyberpunk was incredible. Any upscaling from DLSS is completely lost at DPI 282.42 or Dot Pitch 0.0899 mm.

(Below) You can see it isn't the fastest display ever, but it is keeping up with my daily drivers and I have never had an issue. This is connected over HDMI. It's worth pointing out that the Virzen monitor despite it's flaws had a faster response time than either of the two LCD's in the background but I lost the photo.
Speed.jpg
Speed.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 9583 times
(Below) Is a static 1/60th exposure.
Static.jpg
Static.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 9583 times
(Below) Is a pair of pursuit camera shots taken at 1/20th exposure. Remember this is a tiny 4k display running without resolution scaling on. These were very difficult to take and IMO do not match real world eye tracking performance. They are both out of focus but over 2 hours of trying this was as good as I could get.
Pursuit.jpg
Pursuit.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 9583 times

Naveronasis

Re: Innocn 15.6" 4k OLED Monitor Testing PU15-PRE

Post by Naveronasis » 16 Aug 2022, 00:51

I guess I made the forum angry and needed to make a second post to include more photos :D

(Below) The second pursuit cam in the FrogTest Normally I wouldn't post this here but due to sheer luck it turned out better than the UFO one.
Frog.jpg
Frog.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 9581 times
There was one issue with the monitor. Black crushing. As you can imagine such tiny OLED elements use nanoscopic power levels and I suspected if I tested gamma in a torture black test I could get some poor results. I was surprised with how well it did but you can see for yourself.

(Below) is a max ISO image to show the black falloff on the OLED:
OLED Gamma.jpg
OLED Gamma.jpg (4.36 MiB) Viewed 9581 times
(Below) Here is my cheap secondary LCD monitor.
LCD Gamma.jpg
LCD Gamma.jpg (4.82 MiB) Viewed 9581 times

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 16 Aug 2022, 00:54

Part 3!

I guess there is a 3 image embed limit.

(Below) is the reference image:
u3Lijjq.png
u3Lijjq.png (51.21 KiB) Viewed 9581 times
In practice none of this "black crushing" really mattered.

(Below) Here is a Snek photo:
IMG_20220816_005745.jpg
IMG_20220816_005745.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 9581 times
(Above) The additional saturation is a product of my phone's sensor. There is nothing I can do about it. The monitor has excellent color and saturation controls and can be easily adjust up and down as well as for temperature. It also includes multiple color standard presets.

(Below) And here is the reference file:
unkssssnown.png
unkssssnown.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 9581 times
Last edited by Naveronasis on 16 Aug 2022, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 16 Aug 2022, 00:56

Finally, here it is VS my 20" Samsung 1100DF Tube. As you can see both boast similar performance only the OLED is much brighter and sharper but the tube still takes it for ultra smooth blur performance.
VS CRT.jpg
VS CRT.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 9578 times
Misc thoughts:
The sound is crisp but not very loud. The OSD is very user friendly and fast and works with the touch screen so no awkward buttons. The monitor comes with a nice case and kickstand if you want to take it on the go. Is it worth 650 dollars? Well if you NEED to scratch that OLED itch and don't want to be an early adopter at 1200+++ and put on a waiting list then YES. It is so much better than my quantum dot display that I can't imagine going back. BUT less expensive 27~32" OLED monitors ARE COMING. So have a backup plan in mind. The display has a built in battery and can be used portably with DEX or phone or switch or a laptop. I intend to take it on the go for a nice demo unit so the purchase made sense. It also lets me explore burn in without burning my pocket book as much and if you really would like to save a buck there is a 1080p version for 250 and a 13" 1080 version for under 200. So you can get a nice OLED fix on the cheap if you can't wait for the full blown launch of QD down the product stack later this year or early 2023.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2022, 20:08

Fantastically useful post.
Bet this thread will get a thousand-plus views over the coming weeks.
Threads in the Laboratory forums often get more viewers than replyers.
Naveronasis wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 00:51
I guess I made the forum angry and needed to make a second post to include more photos :D
I moved your post to Pursuit Camera Forum, while keeping a redirect from TestUFO forum.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 17 Aug 2022, 05:54

Naveronasis wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 00:56
Finally, here it is VS my 20" Samsung 1100DF Tube. As you can see both boast similar performance only the OLED is much brighter and sharper but the tube still takes it for ultra smooth blur performance.

VS CRT.jpg
Which one's the tube?
The left one looks black crushed to hell and black. Missing like half of the details.

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 17 Aug 2022, 15:36

thatoneguy wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 05:54

Which one's the tube?
The left one looks black crushed to hell and black. Missing like half of the details.
Tube is left. The iso is very low. There is no crushing going on. I only took this image to show relative brightness. It says above the oled is the brighter one.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2022, 18:01

thatoneguy wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 05:54
Which one's the tube?
Naveronasis wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 15:36
Tube is left. The iso is very low. There is no crushing going on. I only took this image to show relative brightness. It says above the oled is the brighter one.
It's just camera setting behavior.

Many cameras can be very finicky at capturing the dark colors, so sometimes a pursuit photograph is not always gamut-accurate. Some fiddling with camera settings (e.g. ISO setting) helps, but sometimes many cameras run into darks limits, especially with older/dimmer CRTs.

Sometimes increasing picture brightness but that is harder on CRT -- it can bloom/blow out the electron beam dot too much, and sometimes you have to make do with photographing a 100-200 nit image on a CRT. Very colorful and very visible dark greys (because of great CRT blacks) especially if you play in the dark. But doesn't get exposed properly by many smartphone camera sensors. And raising ISO adds lots of noise grain that turns the resulting image even less WYSIWYG in some ways. So it's a pick-poison compromise with camera settings.

This doesn't make the pursuits useless -- since we can still clearly see the WYSIWYG motion blur of the brighter colors -- but it can be super challenging for smartphone sensors on dark shades on a CRT. It is just, alas, CRT can't light-cannon photons at your eyeballs like a 600nit LCD backlight... So sometimes the CRT color gamut fails to be captured as well on digital camera sensors.

You can kind of compensate by temporarily brightening/recalibrating your display to see the dark colors better in the Part 3, and then that kinda fixes the other photographs (even if colors/brights on other webpages and desktop apps are now blown out). At least, if the darks are not black-clipped by the original camera (since JPG doesn't preserve as much bitdepth as professional .RAW or .TIFF camera images), especially since most web browsers are 8-bit non-HDR. (The newest Chrome Canary build has much better HDR support in all the web APIs after fiddling chrome://flags to enable experimental features ... but it's still practically 3 years out from becoming mainstream)

These are exactly the same image:

So you can turn from overexposed (but noisy) to underexposed/screenshot (but no noise).

Viewing this CRT in a dark room, the real world appearance is better than both of the above.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 18 Aug 2022, 04:17

Naveronasis wrote:

Well, the image is misleading.
Should have put the ISO so that it reflects what you're seeing with your eyes.

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 19 Aug 2022, 16:46

thatoneguy wrote:
18 Aug 2022, 04:17
Naveronasis wrote:

Well, the image is misleading.
Should have put the ISO so that it reflects what you're seeing with your eyes.
That's why I put down the Images above for the actual tests. You're only going to see what your monitor/phone is capable of. There is no good way to "put what I see" here.