LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
doug5421

Re: LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by doug5421 » 18 Feb 2023, 10:50

Hey Chief! New to the community, first post, appreciate all the hard work you've all done to combat blur!

That being said, I was fortunate enough to pick up one of the new LG OLED monitors just recently and it's phenomenal. Only gripe I have is the fact that the monitor doesn't have any hardware BFI! I'm very used to using OLED Motion Pro on my C1 that I feel as if the monitor is lacking compared.. Technically, what would BFI bring to locked 240hz gaming on this monitor? How much better clarity by the numbers considering Blur Buster's Law?

Saw that you mentioned software BFI being a possibility on these LG OLED monitors.. Is this what's being worked on privately? Any time frame on its release? For this new tech, I'd even be interested in testing.

All the best!

Doug

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2023, 15:31

Some software has BFI built in (e.g. RetroArch)

Other times you need to do it via existing software such as DesktopBFI.

Make sure you run DesktopBFI in Administrator Mode -> Task Manager -> Set priority to "REALTIME"

And configure the game to "BELOW NORMAL" and "Borderless Windowed".

And you have your software-based BFI on your game!

Also, use RTSS to framerate-cap to the BFI flicker rate, and that will make the game run much smoother.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

timbowman1

Post by timbowman1 » 19 Feb 2023, 16:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 15:31

Make sure you run DesktopBFI in Administrator Mode -> Task Manager -> Set priority to "REALTIME"

Also, use RTSS to framerate-cap to the BFI flicker rate, and that will make the game run much smoother.
Have you tried software BFI with a 240hz oled? Is it really dim, cause it’s half as dim as an already dim monitor? Lots of us could get 480 fps ez in valorant , cs go etc

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2023, 18:09

timbowman1 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:59
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Have you tried software BFI with a 240hz oled? Is it really dim, cause it’s half as dim as an already dim monitor? Lots of us could get 480 fps ez in valorant , cs go etc
If you can get 240fps already, then don't bother with software BFI. Software BFI on sample and hold displays, can never be less be the MPRT of maximum framerate=Hz (e.g. 1/240sec motion blur).

Assuming GtG=0 and framerate=Hz, Blur Busters Law dictates 1ms of pixel visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec

Motion blur is the hold time (visibility time) of a pixel:
Motion blur with BFI = pulsetime (pulse width of BFI)
Motion blur without BFI = frametime (duration of a frame)

So if you can get frametimes shorter than BFI pulsetimes, you do not need to bother with BFI -- strobeless motion blur reduction (brute framerate-based motion blur reduction) is vastly superior to strobe-based motion blur reduction of the same MPRT number.

www.blurbusters.com/1000hz-journey
www.blurbusters.com/gtg-vs-mprt

TL;DR: BFI will be obsolete with PC-based gaming if you can get extremely low MPRT's without strobing. 1ms MPRT is possible with 1000fps 1000Hz sample and hold, and 0.5ms MPRT is possible with 2000fps 2000Hz sample and hold. Reprojection technology will make this possible GPU-side.

Here's how 4K 1000fps 1000Hz UE5+ detail level will be achieved by 2030:
phpBB [video]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

binodynamic

Post by binodynamic » 20 Feb 2023, 05:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 22:51
I've been hired to work on 240Hz OLEDs as of late, so I'll chime in a bit, as much as my NDAs allow me to do so.

My 240Hz OLED is a bit too bright at maximum brightness, so I adjust it down abit.

I'm used to ~150nit when I'm doing Visual Studio or documents/articles anyway.

Now when gaming, I like the HDR-like feel of perfect blacks. It can be more fun gaming on a ~300-nit OLED with perfect blacks (in a dark room) than a ~600+-nit LCD with grey blacks. The black reference amplifies the brightness feel of the brights when you're gaming indoors without sun shining in a window. LCD is superior if you've got a glass house obviously, but I can confirm these new LG OLEDs is too bright for my eyes when I'm just Visual Studioing at night.

Also, download "Better ClearType Tuner" app to make text look MUCH better on these new OLEDs. Tweak according to preference.

I've always run desktop LCDs at 30% brightness when doing computer text, so that's well within the OLED brightness range. When I am gaming, I like a brighter profile for the HDR-like behaviors.

Replaying old games (like "Bioshock Infinite") is a totally new videogame on an OLED, with the 240fps-at-240Hz LightBoost-quality motion with NO strobing needed; brute framerate-based motion blur reduction is the future.

Everyone knows I wish it was 1000fps 1000Hz hurry up already (ETA 2030?) but today, 240Hz OLEDs already have less motion blur than a non-strobed 360Hz LCD. That's big; the best strobeless blur reduction technology consumers can buy today for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction at near-zero GtG and the only blur seen is purely MPRT only.

Thanks to darn near zero GtG numbers, OLED's are virtually perfect followers of Blur Busters Law -- much more accurately than LCD.
Can you share the setting you’re using on better cleartype tuner?

doug5421

Post by doug5421 » 21 Feb 2023, 11:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 18:09
timbowman1 wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 16:59
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

If you can get 240fps already, then don't bother with software BFI. Software BFI on sample and hold displays, can never be less be the MPRT of maximum framerate=Hz (e.g. 1/240sec motion blur).

Assuming GtG=0 and framerate=Hz, Blur Busters Law dictates 1ms of pixel visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec

Motion blur is the hold time (visibility time) of a pixel:
Motion blur with BFI = pulsetime (pulse width of BFI)
Motion blur without BFI = frametime (duration of a frame)

So if you can get frametimes shorter than BFI pulsetimes, you do not need to bother with BFI -- strobeless motion blur reduction (brute framerate-based motion blur reduction) is vastly superior to strobe-based motion blur reduction of the same MPRT number.

www.blurbusters.com/1000hz-journey
www.blurbusters.com/gtg-vs-mprt

TL;DR: BFI will be obsolete with PC-based gaming if you can get extremely low MPRT's without strobing. 1ms MPRT is possible with 1000fps 1000Hz sample and hold, and 0.5ms MPRT is possible with 2000fps 2000Hz sample and hold. Reprojection technology will make this possible GPU-side.

Here's how 4K 1000fps 1000Hz UE5+ detail level will be achieved by 2030:
phpBB [video]
This is big to know, thanks! Since I’ve been getting close to 200-240hz already in games, won’t benefit me as much. Will continue to play competitive on my OLED monitor & use my C1 w/120hz BFI to play single player, 4K high-fidelity titles. Perfect combo for me, personally. Just wish my C2 had 120hz BFI & not 60.. Oh well..

doug5421

Post by doug5421 » 21 Feb 2023, 11:39

Great to know about how at 240hz, software BFI won’t be of any real benefit. Thanks Chief!

Have best of both worlds w/ LG monitor for comp & LG C1 w/ 120hz BFI for high fidelity single player. Only wish my 42 C2 had 120hz BFI.. Oh well, can’t win em all.. 🙂

Would 42 C2 benefit from software BFI at 120hz?

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 21 Feb 2023, 14:56

doug5421 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 11:39
Great to know about how at 240hz, software BFI won’t be of any real benefit. Thanks Chief!

Have best of both worlds w/ LG monitor for comp & LG C1 w/ 120hz BFI for high fidelity single player. Only wish my 42 C2 had 120hz BFI.. Oh well, can’t win em all.. 🙂

From what I've heard, BFI support on LG OLED Tvs is now limited to 8ms MPRT, which would give you functionally identical motion handling for 60hz as you get with 120hz without bfi. In this specific case, going with the hardware level BFI is better because the TV is equipped to compensate for it, ie, it'll automatically make the screen flash brighter to try and give an equivalent perceived brightness for on vs off, and adjusts the image so colors appear as close to the same as possible with BFI on vs Off. The TV can use "HDR" headroom to accomplish this.

Doing it on a software level would be inferior because there'd be no such compensation. Best case scenario, the image is dimmed and colors / Gamma appear identical. But it's possible you'd lose color fidelity and some crushed blacks. No reason to introduce that possibility when the hardware option is available.

It makes me wonder how software BFI on the 240hz LG OLED would compare to hardware BFI on the LG C1. On paper they should work out to similar ratios of frame time / black time at all refresh options (60hz and 120hz both get about 4ms MPRT on the C1), but without the hardware support the monitor won't be able to use "HDR" overhead to compensate for the reduced brightness / potential color clarity loss / potential black crush. It'd be reasonable to expect youd have to manually adjust the brightness setting (aka OLED light or backlight, not the setting that adjusts white levels) I suppose, but it'd really make me wonder if the purchase would be worth it vs continuing to use my C1 / XG2431

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Feb 2023, 16:42

doug5421 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 11:39

BFI is still important for 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz content (And any lower frame rates), but if you can get max Hz framerate, the benefits of strobeless blur reduction now outweigh BFI at 240fps+ on 240Hz+ OLEDs.

ibd

Post by ibd » 23 Feb 2023, 08:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 16:42
BFI is still important for 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz content (And any lower frame rates), but if you can get max Hz framerate, the benefits of strobeless blur reduction now outweigh BFI at 240fps+ on 240Hz+ OLEDs.
Does anyone have hands-on experience with 60 Hz strobed content on N*60 Hz displays with hardware strobing using software BFI, like it exists in RetroArch, to bring it down to 60 Hz effectively?
I could only find theories and broad tips on this forum and otherwise, but no actualy reports.
How bad is the flickering with such a setup? Is it a favorable trade-off between duplicate images and improved (decreased) motion blur?