LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
CortexFPS

Re: LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by CortexFPS » 21 Apr 2023, 04:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 14:42
CortexFPS wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 10:32
Regarding the burn-in issue, here's what happened to me after less than 20 days of use:
Run Pixel Refresh and give monitor some other content for a few hours -- see how it looks.

I am curious, do you have Orbit turned on? What gaming profile are you using?
I've been doing this all this week but sadly it wouldn't go away, I just took it to a service center and they will replace my panel.
If by Pixel Orbit you mean Screen Move mode, I've always had it turned off by default because it was too invasive, although lately I've discovered that mode 1 was good and not annoying.
I use the monitor in Gamer 1 mode, brightness 79, contrast 70, HDR off, 50% digital vibrance in NVCP, taskbar disappeared, dark theme in Windows and Chrome, automatic screen lock after 3 minutes.
That circle looks like a minimap, I play a lot of competitive fps with a static HUD.
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

arsn

Post by arsn » 21 Apr 2023, 20:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 14:42
CortexFPS wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 10:32
Regarding the burn-in issue, here's what happened to me after less than 20 days of use:
Run Pixel Refresh and give monitor some other content for a few hours -- see how it looks.

I am curious, do you have Orbit turned on? What gaming profile are you using?
After reading this post I checked my screen and noticed an identical circle outline on a different part of my monitor. In the picture I attached it's right below the download button. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but my outline is also more promiment on the upper half. For me none of the games I play have any HUD parts that fit there. The worst offenders (in terms of hours played) would be Escape from Tarkov or Apex Legends and neither have a circle in that area. I also use my monitor for work but at a low brightness (50 to 70) and I don't think any of the apps I commonly use have a small circle around that area (GitHub, Teams, VS Code). I just got my first pixel cleaning after 500 hours of usage and I do multiple image cleanings a day. I really doubt this is a burn-in issue caused by my usage. Maybe some weird uniformity issue?

Anyway I can only see the outline on a grey background. White, red, green or blue doesn't really do it.
Attachments
IMG_1810.jpeg
IMG_1810.jpeg (509.34 KiB) Viewed 14759 times

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 06 May 2023, 01:10

Death_Lotus wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 07:13
Hey,
I just came across this monitor after I saw an ad in one of the latest Riot Games league streams.
This monitor looks good on paper and in reviews, albeit some drawbacks like the (too) matte coating or the WQHD resolution.
But I don't mind them and would like to go for it. Also, I don't have a problem with the overblown brightness issues, since I never setup my monitors with a higher brightness than 80-120 nits.
However, I am still hesitating because of potential burn-in with certain games that I play.
I would like to use the monitor only for gaming and videos, but even though you can have proper OLED "hygiene" e.g., black desktop, 1 min screensaver, remove taskbar, leave it permanently on wall power - one just cannot avoid static elements in games.
Just take a look at the screenshots.
This monitor was advertised in an official League of Legends stream, but this game has a lot of opaque static HUD elements.
After reading some posts on Reddit and in some other forums, people tend to hide HUDs - but those people are talking single player games and some games just require HUDs.
The worst offender on RTings long term burn-in test are TV channels with a lot of static content or large logos.
Is this not the same case as with a lot of esports games, in which this monitor is supposed to excel?
Take for example CSGO, again a lot of HUD elements and also a lot of people run the netstats.
But I have to admit, League seems to be here the worst offender.

Also, here is also someone who played on OLED with a lot of big static HUD elements and now has visible issues.

Anyone here with the same concerns?
Does OLED still have to be babysat and tailored to?
Just don't want to end up with Burn-in issues already after one or two years.
Valid concerns, I'm interested in what more experienced users with OLED monitor here got to say too

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 May 2023, 15:05

TL:DR

How does this compare to the 390Hz monitor in terms of input lag, and other speed metrics?

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2023, 00:41

On the newest WOLED's I am not too worried about static elements.

I browse and Visual Studio on my Corsair Xeneon Flex (prototype).

The new RTINGS tests are showing that the newest WOLED panels are really resisting burnin much better.

I think you'll easily go quite a while at moderate picture settings (75% brightness or less)

Look at the new RTINGS OLED testing video. You see the pattern. They're confirming what I say, newer LG WOLED panels lasts much longer now.

You'll get the phosphoresent temporary-image retention effects, that disappear after 5-10 minutes. And of course, the usual OLED dark-greys uniformity quirks (which you gotta, of course, compare with IPS glow and BLB issues too.) Pick poison. But OLED has the fewest high-Hz poisons for a lot of us!

Remember, dialing the nits back by half or two-thirds, during desktop use, can actually add 4x-10x+ more lifetime to your OLED, pushing it beyond your purchase-lifetime of your OLED. Still brighter than an average well-worn Dell 60Hz monitor that's been sitting in an office since ancient times. Ha.

But for me, image retention is not a worry if you use moderate Windows Desktop brightnesses. Save your nit surges for your HDR gaming; for your cyberpunk-scene neon lights and 1957 chevy chrome sunglints etc, where you definitely want to enjoy a few 1000-nit pixels for. Most gaming HUDs are typically not rendered in HDR-league brightnesses, fortunately, but I'd love to see an adjustable HUD brightness/intensity in more games, ideally.

RTINGS is pushing them hard intentionally, and the LG C2 WOLED had no burnin.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevi ... te-3-month

Do best pratices and dial back your max-nits during Windows desktop usage, and it'll probably last the entire lifetime of the monitor now. Some have even have used LG OLED TVs as computer monitors for 2 years with no computer burn-in, because them dialed them down to normal-office brightness, and a few other best-pratices.

I'm sure you can do the same for QD-OLED or LG WOLED.

That being said -- interestingly with the common white-on-black and black-on-white texts of computer usage -- for general-purpose computer use, it is probably easier with LG WOLED thanks to how it uses the white pixel as a brightness-enhancer to offload the wear of R/G/B pixels. And your bright white HUD elements and Windows apps won't burn-in your R/G/B subpixels. Also, the white is very interestingly a fuller-spectrum white (more pleasing on my specific eyes than a white generated by R/G/B), rather than a white generated by R/G/B, so you get more brightness-per-pixel-power for a lot of common general-purpose computer use, reducing the odds that a specific brightness will create burn in. The addition of a W subpixel certainly has pros/cons, but the W really greatly reduce burn-in risk from general purpose computer use.

Another tip: A third party font renderer (www.mactype.net) makes text looks better on all OLEDs, if anyone here is bothered by the text rendering on OLED due to all those odd-pixel-layouts -- these subpixel design decisions were intentionally done by both vendors to reduce burn in risk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BoredErica

Post by BoredErica » 21 May 2023, 08:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 May 2023, 00:41
Remember, dialing the nits back by half or two-thirds, during desktop use, can actually add 4x-10x+ more lifetime to your OLED, pushing it beyond your purchase-lifetime of your OLED.
What do you think the curve is for brightness? 35 -> 70nits = 1/4th lifespan and how do you find out? I tried to look up some documents from wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED#cite_note-116) and trying to compare max brightness CNN vs 200 nits CNN from their 2018 6 TV test. (With the latter, I don't think C7 has logo dimmer but I dunno if APL set in on their scene at all for the CNN logo. I know in their current 2023 test, the logo is only 135nits at max brightness due to TV protection measures for their OLEDs according to Rtings employee.)

hart

Post by hart » 08 Jun 2023, 00:48

picked one up for 750€ on a LG sale and I'm 50 50 on keep or return

it blows out of the water my old 27gl850 in terms of motion clarity, and I don't need turbo brightness on SDR as I usually calibrate displays around 110 nits, about 65/70% brightness, and on HDR it's not that bad. So I don't have much complains there as a lot of people do.

but the colors... I don't know, didn't made a side to side with the 27gl50, but I am using it with a LG dualup as productivity display, which is not the best ips in the world, and still have better colors on a lot of things, like the reds or some yellow tonalities. The blacks are obviously better, but I don't know if to the point of trading the blacks of the oled for, maybe a 360 ips with ulmb2 and having 0 blur and also 0 worries on future burn in.

If the PG27AQN had the same price or even 100€ more (not 1300€, 550€ extras), I think I would change it, to forget about maybe burn ins and change the blacks for ulmb2.

Maybe keeping it for 3 years and waiting for oleds with bfi at 480hz and true 1500hdr at 1/3 of the price?

difficult choice on this one.

It's not a bad display, but it's not incredible either, 750€, I can swallow it, 1200 which was what they were asking 3 months ago, I would have returned it in hours.

_____

Also, have one doubt, what's the average expectancy lifetime before burn in? Was looking the use hours of the 27gl850b and we have at home an average of 15 hours daily, 16.500 hours in 3 years

Hope is nothing like 5.000 hours or so, because then I would return it tomorrow lol

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 14 Jun 2023, 15:04

Heat accelerates the degradation of the oled subpixels, and higher brightness generates more heat. I'm not sure anyone has done enough testing to math it out, because ambient room temperature over time while the screen is in use can absolutely play a role.

Just remember perceived brightness is not operating on a linear scale. It takes more power than you think to make an image appear just a little bit brighter, and you may be able to gain more perceived brightness at a lower wear to your panel by controlling the room light instead.

I have an LG C9 used in a light controlled room, largely for standard pc use, Calibrated for use around 125~150 nits. Bright enough to be usable during daytime hours without being completely overwhelmingly bright at night. Over 6000 hours of real use, including some HDR engagement (where the brightness is content dictated), mostly on a computer with many static elements. Still not a single sign of burn in to this day.

vityafx

Post by vityafx » 17 Jun 2023, 04:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 22:51
I've been hired to work on 240Hz OLEDs as of late, so I'll chime in a bit, as much as my NDAs allow me to do so.

My 240Hz OLED is a bit too bright at maximum brightness, so I adjust it down abit.

I'm used to ~150nit when I'm doing Visual Studio or documents/articles anyway.

Now when gaming, I like the HDR-like feel of perfect blacks. It can be more fun gaming on a ~300-nit OLED with perfect blacks (in a dark room) than a ~600+-nit LCD with grey blacks. The black reference amplifies the brightness feel of the brights when you're gaming indoors without sun shining in a window. LCD is superior if you've got a glass house obviously, but I can confirm these new LG OLEDs is too bright for my eyes when I'm just Visual Studioing at night.

Also, download "Better ClearType Tuner" app to make text look MUCH better on these new OLEDs. Tweak according to preference.

I've always run desktop LCDs at 30% brightness when doing computer text, so that's well within the OLED brightness range. When I am gaming, I like a brighter profile for the HDR-like behaviors.

Replaying old games (like "Bioshock Infinite") is a totally new videogame on an OLED, with the 240fps-at-240Hz LightBoost-quality motion with NO strobing needed; brute framerate-based motion blur reduction is the future.

Everyone knows I wish it was 1000fps 1000Hz hurry up already (ETA 2030?) but today, 240Hz OLEDs already have less motion blur than a non-strobed 360Hz LCD. That's big; the best strobeless blur reduction technology consumers can buy today for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction at near-zero GtG and the only blur seen is purely MPRT only.

Thanks to darn near zero GtG numbers, OLED's are virtually perfect followers of Blur Busters Law -- much more accurately than LCD.
Hey Chief! Can you please share what I can do to patch my FreeType so that I achieve better text clarity on Linux? So, basically, could you please explain what the "Better ClearType Tuner"/"MacType" do in principle (the idea)?

Also, compared to ViewSonic XG270 (1080p 240hz), with PureXP+, will this panel (I am going to buy the ASUS version instead) provide the same amount of image clarity?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jun 2023, 00:34

I am not familiar enough with FreeType to give advice on that -- but if you find settings that look good on OLED under Linux, please post them here!

As for OLED, you should be aware that LCD strobing currently outperforms OLED strobing (or lack thereof). While GtG is vastly faster on OLED, the other response benchmark (MPRT), MPRTs on strobed LCDs can reach one-tenth the MPRTs of OLEDs.

However, if you don't like strobing (e.g. PureXP=OFF), then OLED produces the best brute framerate-based motion blur reduction. In other words, 240fps sample-and-hold (flickerless) has the least blur on OLED than LCD.

Both technologies have their place. Some people prefer flickerless methods of motion blur reduction!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!