Slow response time of AMOLED on smartphones

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Pigeon_1234

Slow response time of AMOLED on smartphones

Post by Pigeon_1234 » 09 Feb 2023, 02:18

Hi, I've recently found a ZZanya video on youtube about OLED displays (video is in Russlan). It was said in the video and proven with tests, that amoled displays on smartphones have programmed ghosting for a few frames. Author said, that he submitted that problem to this forum, and for that time had no clue why is ghosting a thing on smartphones. I'm not sure, if problem was already solved here, video is year old.

I have my own assumption. Amoled displays have burn out problem, where pixels used more often are getting darker on the end of their lives. In many ads about such displays, companies write, that they have some "technology", which helps displays live longer, but I've never seen an explanation about how they do it.

In tests of ZZanya only pixels that changing from dark to light are getting ghosted, and not from light to dark, so overall image is getting darker, and display probably lives longer. So that may be a supersecret technology for saving amoled from burning out.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Slow response time of AMOLED on smartphones

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2023, 01:56

OLED can still use overdrive algorithms, just as LCD can do.

AMOLED requires some minor overdrive algorithms, but mobile AMOLED screens often avoid overdrive algorithms completely.

So mobile OLEDs do sometimes ghost slightly more than desktop OLED even if they ghost much less than LCD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kyube

Post by kyube » 13 Mar 2023, 10:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 01:56
OLED can still use overdrive algorithms, just as LCD can do.

AMOLED requires some minor overdrive algorithms, but mobile AMOLED screens often avoid overdrive algorithms completely.

So mobile OLEDs do sometimes ghost slightly more than desktop OLED even if they ghost much less than LCD.
The specific video OP seems to be talking about is this: https://youtu.be/VrZf-6FBFCE?t=1228
Very fascinating, I never knew AMOLED's do this.
I wonder, do P-OLED smartphones exhibit this behaviour too? I doubt PWM dimming does them any favour in regards to motion handling either. :P
Wish response times tests of smartphones were more prevalent today, along with some 240hz offerings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2023, 15:54

kyube wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 10:47
I doubt PWM dimming does them any favour in regards to motion handling either. :P

Until the PWM controller is configured to the same frequency as the refresh cycles, aka PWM=framerate=Hz.

Then CRT motion clarity beauty. But not everyone likes CRT flicker.

The PSVR2 headset uses the PWM=framerate=Hz technique of OLED motion blur reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Clear Motion Seeker

Post by Clear Motion Seeker » 29 Apr 2023, 13:06

I own a Poco F3 and my perception of blur is minimal when testing side-scroller games or 3D shooters.

It's not the ideal CRT-style crisp motion that i wish so much, but it's not a blurry mess for all that, like your typical sample-and-hold display.

Maybe the smaller size of the screen gives this impression.