How Is OLED Technology Considered "Good"?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How Is OLED Technology Considered "Good"?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2023, 17:20

jorimt wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 09:15
NeonPizza wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 20:11
How long exactly will it take in order for future QD-OLED, or Micro-OLED(whichever tech comes next) TV's to achieve 1ms persistence and 1080p motion clarity ala' BFI, when lets say streaming movies/TV or gaming at 60fps?
Longer than you'd like, I assume.
Fastest way to do it today is via a VR headset -- a VR headset can emulate a CRT tube with 1ms MPRT in the virtual world; they are already low-persistence, so emulating a low-Hz CRT becomes easier in that context;

Now, manufacturers may not bother with doing it in a non-VR context; so if you're stuck with 1000fps 1000Hz sample-and-hold, then I think the easiest way to achieve this is brute Hz (1000fps 1000Hz) + software-based 60Hz CRT electron beam simulator (GPU shader simulating a CRT tube in 1/1000sec increments), generating a phosphor-fadebehind rolling scan effect. Emulating a 60Hz CRT tube over many digital refresh cycles per analog refresh cycle. Like a temporal version of spatial HLSL CRT filters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 27 Apr 2023, 21:24

jorimt wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 09:15
NeonPizza wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 20:11
How long exactly will it take in order for future QD-OLED, or Micro-OLED(whichever tech comes next) TV's to achieve 1ms persistence and 1080p motion clarity ala' BFI, when lets say streaming movies/TV or gaming at 60fps?
Longer than you'd like, I assume.

As far as I'm aware (though there may be other factors), for any significant MPRT reduction with BFI on OLED over current (3-4ms on CX at "High," for instance), sustained full-field brightness would have to increase multiple times over on WOLED (currently ~120-200 nits) and QD-OLED (currently ~200-250 nits), which is the most difficult thing to achieve on said panel technology due to things like heat, premature wear, and energy cost.

And even if they could push current-gen panels further, it would probably require much larger heatsinks and fans, which I've seen some buyers already complaining about in models that feature them (for both OLED and LCD).

Unless Micro-LED rears it's head in the near future at an affordable price. I'm assuming that tech will have tons of brightness to spare for BFI since it will be able to achieve QD-'LED' brightness but with all of the benefits of QD-OLED and then some.

And i've got to say, the LG C1's BFI Max/Motion Pro high's 8ms persistence is pretty solid. Beats my S60 plasma's motion persistence, but it's still no CRT, BUT perfectly doable for movies and gaming, I'm quite content with it for now, if it weren't for the horrible Flicker and shadow detail crushing...

Flicker breaks LG OLED BFI. i don't care if it has a 1ms motion persistence, if the flicks are that distracting, to the point where the screen is pulsating(especially on whites) why even bother? it's isn't viable unless you want to strain your eye balls. I hear the Samsung S95C's BFI has the exact same problem. Motion persistence wise, it's around 8ms persistence with at least 600p motion clarity. It Offers higher brigthtness than the C1's MotionPro High, but apparently a couple of owners from the AVS forum said the flicker was too harsh for it to even be usable.

$3999 CAD for the 65" S95C is a tough pill to swallow when i have to deal with a lousy 16ms motion persistence, + 300p motion clarity for movies...I was banking on it's BFI, but it's basically broken because of the flicks. At least you can use Motion Interpolation in game mode and transform 60fps titles into a 'fake' 120fps. If it's anything like the C1's De-blur '10' setting outside of game mode, than you should get the motion persistence down to 8ms, and motion clarity to 600p, while getting that life-like buttery smooth 120 motion, but without lowering latency down to 5ms. Instead it shoots up to 19.4ms according to RTNGS. but that's still pretty good and totally doable for certain genres. I'm expecting the odd motion jank and artifacts, but I might be ok with that considering the upgrades listed above.

And of course, QD-OLED color volume, gamut, Native gradient, RGB-like color, brightness and it's truer whites Spank WRGB OLED.
I'll probably wait for a sale with the S95C and then sell off my C1 and put that towards it in a few months or so.

Cellx

Post by Cellx » 10 Jul 2023, 18:23

Just want to say the "soap opera effect" is a fake issue. More framerate is always better. I find my lg oled to be very good at reducing 24p stutter and a tousand times better to watch anything on it than on LCD, which these days are all too fast to hide the 24hz of movies anyway. OLED being "too fast" for movie is such a myth, any decent modern display will do just as "bad"
So, just use motion smoothing or deal with the stutter/motionblur.

My C1 doesn't flicker that much at 60hz bfi and you can fix the dark detail crushing easily.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jul 2023, 23:30

"Soap Opera Effect" is partially from interpolation artifacts -- including the fact that interpolation increases frame rates without fixing display motion blur.

If you do 120fps-240fps+ HFR via original frame rate, this problem disappears.

Also, an additional item -- going far beyond 120fps helps bypass certain uncanny-valley issues -- including some things mentioned in the UltraHFR FAQ - www.blurbusters.com/ultrahfr -- In other words, 24fps and 1000fps is usually more pleasing than sample-and-hold 60fps. There is still persistence blur with intermediate HFR frame rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!