Is having hardware G-Sync all that important these days? Also, just how big of a problem is burn-in?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
BoredErica

Re: Is having hardware G-Sync all that important these days? Also, just how big of a problem is burn-in?

Post by BoredErica » 19 May 2023, 01:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 May 2023, 20:00
BoredErica wrote:
16 May 2023, 02:51
When you say that VRR flicker is less visible on 240hz OLEDs, does this require achieving 240fps or does simply having the newer panel or 240hz refresh rate minimize the VRR flicker? How does it reduce the issue?
Well, it's hard to answer this one. Fluctuations between 100<->200fps has less gamma flicker than fluctuations between 50<->100fps. The gamma flicker is simply like a 1%-3% brightness change in dark greys during sudden framerate changes. You don't always notice.

IMHO, not a big deal. I've seen worse LCD VRR flickers before (uncertified VRR that is non-native GSYNC). Especially uncertified VRR LCDs that aren't well overdrive-tuned.

LCD vs OLED are a game of pick-poisons, and OLED has way fewer image-quality poisons. If your calculus leans more towards best motion quality in the 80fps-240fps regime, it's really hard to beat OLED + VRR now, even with the gamma-udulation quirk (more visible during sudden sharp dips from 100fps+ suddenly down to 30fps, and only creates a 1-3% brightness difference only in the dark greys portion of the color spectrum). Motion even looks better than 360Hz OLEDs.

Even many of the 240Hz OLEDs are even debutting at reasonably low lags (lower lag than the world's first 240Hz LCDs in 2016-2017). But if your priority is a couple milliseconds lower lag, you may still lean towards an esports LCD.

However, motion-quality purists who don't want strobing, definitely should consider OLED. Even with VRR.
First, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I wish my experience was as positive as yours regarding VRR flicker. Heavily modded Skyrim is my main game and will continue to be so for a very long time. There are flaws that show up w/ VRR flicker that I've not experienced with my only LCD IPS monitor (27gp950).

Many menus right now cause a frametime spike when opening and it's most noticeeable when spam selling items to NPCs. Normally this is not visible without flicker as there isn't constant motion to perceive the spike. But it is noticeable if the screen keeps flashing. Traversal stutter even w/ 13600kf (which performs far, far better than my old 5600x) still exists, but typically would not be very visible as again, the flicker to me is like a beacon saying 'the game is stuttering!'.

It's a problem but it's not a dealbreaker because FPS is high enough to get close to hitting 120fps cap w/o VRR. Can't use VRR to try to reduce the impact of stutters a little, and I have less leeway with FPS since w/o VRR the difference between 100 and 120fps is more noticeable. With future CPU/GPUs, the issue will reduce bit more. And if your experiences w/ higher framerates decreasing VRR gamma visibility are correct, then that is another option several years from now.

I'm more concerned about older games like Fallout New Vegas and especially Oblivion. Oblivion stutters significantly and if I naively play the game w/ VRR on and run around outside at night, I'm asking for a flicker lightshow. And CPUs would have to be many times faster to make a very large dent in the stuttering. Oblivion even w/ perfect performance is still crashy though so it's not as important as Skyrim performance.

I'd say I'm less able to perceive motion clarity benefits vs average person here but maybe more sensitive to gamma flickers, also because I play a game with more stuttering and dark dungeons.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is having hardware G-Sync all that important these days? Also, just how big of a problem is burn-in?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2023, 03:29

BoredErica wrote:
19 May 2023, 01:28
First, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I wish my experience was as positive as yours regarding VRR flicker. Heavily modded Skyrim is my main game and will continue to be so for a very long time. There are flaws that show up w/ VRR flicker that I've not experienced with my only LCD IPS monitor (27gp950).
IPS VRR, especially G-SYNC certified, is usually pretty good nowadays. There's no VRR flicker on most of them.

But, which model OLED? VRR flicker varies a lot between models. 240Hz gaming-monitor OLEDs vs 120Hz television OLEDs.

Obviously, some games will have frametime graphs that amplify VRR flickers worse, so YMMV.

Everyone certainly sees different things on displays. Some hate tearing more, others stutters more, yet others motion blur, etc. It's all over the map, so I can't blame you if you see VRR flicker effects very clearly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BoredErica

Post by BoredErica » 19 May 2023, 04:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 May 2023, 03:29
BoredErica wrote:
19 May 2023, 01:28
IPS VRR, especially G-SYNC certified, is usually pretty good nowadays. There's no VRR flicker on most of them.

But, which model OLED? VRR flicker varies a lot between models. 240Hz gaming-monitor OLEDs vs 120Hz television OLEDs.

Obviously, some games will have frametime graphs that amplify VRR flickers worse, so YMMV.

Everyone certainly sees different things on displays. Some hate tearing more, others stutters more, yet others motion blur, etc. It's all over the map, so I can't blame you if you see VRR flicker effects very clearly.
Just got my LG c2 OLED. :) Overall it's a big upgrade, I'm just thinking hardcore about how I'd mitigate the issues. Here's to hoping 3 GPU gens from now 240fps Skyrim will be a thing on my setup. I actually wonder what is stopping LG from doing 240hz on their TVs. Maybe it's coming in a few years? Samsung's got 144hz already. Also as more people own 240hz OLED displays, maybe we'll get more consensus and awareness of the issue.

In the case of menu frametime spikes, since it's not visible normally, I doubt anyone is lining up to try to fix it. Most people don't even know what VRR gamma flicker is for PC gaming. So I gotta figure it out myself.