New 48 inch C2 oled ghosting/double image?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Gabsuviu

New 48 inch C2 oled ghosting/double image?

Post by Gabsuviu » 09 May 2023, 17:54

I recently moved from a qn90a to a LG oled c2, and i was expecting imrpoved motion and i heard oled will not have such flaws like normal led or qled tvs, but i simply cant explain this or if my panel is faulty, maybe someone who game on a c2 can share his opinion also:
- in astro play room on ps5 if i pan the camera the objects are doubled.
- in ghost of tsushima and many other ps5 games paning the camera over objects and texts i see a double image.

I attached two screenshots i made with my phone, they show exactly what i see, a double image, with my eyes i also see the double image and some blur also.

In terms of motion it has less blur compared to my qled, but i was shocked to see it has the same "double image" effect as my old tv, everything i read about oleds seems wrong now for me, maybe someone with a oled can explain to me? Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_20230510_014116.jpg
IMG_20230510_014116.jpg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 6121 times
IMG_20230510_013746.jpg
IMG_20230510_013746.jpg (5.12 MiB) Viewed 6121 times
IMG_20230510_013729.jpg
IMG_20230510_013729.jpg (5.05 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New 48 inch C2 oled ghosting/double image?

Post by RealNC » 09 May 2023, 20:43

Make sure the "OLED Motion" setting is disabled when running 30FPS content. It results in double-image. Only use it for 60FPS games.

Or use 120Hz mode with your PS5, I believe this disables it automatically (in the C2, I believe it only works in 60Hz mode.) 120Hz is better anyway, since some games will be able to run in 40FPS mode instead of 30FPS. For example, see:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundr ... me-changer
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Gabsuviu

Post by Gabsuviu » 09 May 2023, 20:59

The games i tested in the images are at 60hz and oled motion was off, game mode was on, tested with ALLM off/on, VRR on/off, with oled motion the motion blur was on, but the double image was not completely gone, pretty much tried everything possible, even swapped the hdmi cables, tried diff picture presets, connected the pc instead of the ps5, same thing, there are two conclussions for me, either this is how 60hz looks on oleds or the panel has some sort of faulty overdrive setting.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 May 2023, 09:23

Gabsuviu wrote:
09 May 2023, 20:59
Moved to OLED section.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 15 May 2023, 04:40

PS game "ghost of tsushima" run by default at 30FPS, if your TV is set at 60Hz, you are seeing VSync double image, same frame repeated two times.

Maybe there are one patch to unlock 60FPS, and if PS can sustain 60FPS, can fix it. If can't sustain all the time 60FPS, radomly can appear the double image until 60FPS reached again. Other way is try to set TV at 30Hz.

Gabsuviu

Post by Gabsuviu » 15 May 2023, 20:07

All games i tested are made or patched for 60hz, recently i played diablo 4 beta on ps5 and its made to run at 60fps, there is no other mode, moving the character in game shows some objects "doubled", for example in this type of arpg you have a text over players and items, standing still looks normal, starting to move it looks "doubled", not sure if this is due to sample and hold tech on lcd/oleds or is ghosting/inverse ghosting a issue with the panel, please keep in mind that i am used to old crt monitors motion, so i still need a opinion from someone owning a LG oled and who games on it, if this is normal behaviour from such panels in regards to motion in games, using black frame insertion almost fixes the problem but its something i will not use because it flickers.

Nightsaber

Post by Nightsaber » 14 Jun 2023, 18:29

HI do you have hdmi deep color on in general,devices,hdmi settings

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2023, 23:57

Gabsuviu wrote:
09 May 2023, 17:54
I recently moved from a qn90a to a LG oled c2, and i was expecting imrpoved motion and i heard oled will not have such flaws like normal led or qled tvs, but i simply cant explain this or if my panel is faulty, maybe someone who game on a c2 can share his opinion also:
- in astro play room on ps5 if i pan the camera the objects are doubled.
- in ghost of tsushima and many other ps5 games paning the camera over objects and texts i see a double image.
Don't confuse display "motion blur" with the "stroboscopic effect". Fixing OLED motion blur never fixes the stroboscopic-stepping effect.

There are multiple possible causes:

1. Are you currently running in pulsed/BFI operation?
If so, try switching to framerate=Hz. Increase your framerate or lower your refreshrate, to make sure the BFI pulsing matches the refresh rate and the frame rate. This will solve the eye-tracked double-image effect (moving eyes tracking moving imagery), this is the same cause as the old double image effect at CRT 30fps at 60Hz.

-OR-

2. Turn on the GPU Motion Blur Effect if you hate the stroboscopic stepping effect (stationary eye, moving imagery). Keep in mind, there is an additional factor, The Stroboscopic Effect of Finite Frame Rates.
This is generally unfixable at current contemporary refresh rates and frame rates without using the GPU Blur Effect setting.

Also, if you're seeing more stutters on OLED than LCD at the same settings (same sync technology, same frame rate, same resolution, same GPU) -- keep in mind slow pixel response hides stutters in the past, this is why OLED stutters more at the same frame rate than LCD does, EXPLAINER: Why Does OLED Stutter More At Low Frame Rates?

Solving some of this this usually requires triple-digit frame rates (>100fps+), so try to run your games at higher frame rates while your display is configured to 120Hz. You may also wish to have G-SYNC turned on, since that produces smoother visuals. For some solo games, you may wish to upgrade your GPU to a 3000-series or 4000-series, and turn off RTX, while turning on DLSS to a "Performance" setting, to get frame rates really high.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!