with oled, is there any reason to not use always VRR?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
hart

with oled, is there any reason to not use always VRR?

Post by hart » 11 Jun 2023, 15:14

With the almost instant response times of oled screens, does it even make sense to not use VRR always?

240hz on 90 fps, shouldn't look different than 90fs on 90hz with oled, or did I understood this wrong?

Vorsic

Re: with oled, is there any reason to not use always VRR?

Post by Vorsic » 14 Jun 2023, 07:17

OLED screens are still sample and hold so they'll still have that blur. I don't believe there are any oled screens that let you use vrr and bfi at the same time.

KALK4L

Post by KALK4L » 06 Jul 2023, 11:00

hart wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 15:14
With the almost instant response times of oled screens, does it even make sense to not use VRR always?

240hz on 90 fps, shouldn't look different than 90fs on 90hz with oled, or did I understood this wrong?
Using the monitors at 240Hz while getting 90 FPS with VRR on will give better results than 90Hz with 90 FPS, because the first configuration will give better input lag results. So I think they will look identical but the input lag will be different between the two.

Jorimt and Chief Blur Buster gave me good answers here that you might find useful

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2023, 21:06

hart wrote:

Please remember that instant response does not eliminate motion blur.

There are two pixel response standards.

Even at GtG=0, MPRT is throttled by frametime blur, as per www.testufo.com/eyetracking (view on OLED).

You can never have less display motion blur (in milliseconds) than MAX(frametime,refreshtime) on a sample-and-hold display. So 240Hz = 1/240sec of motion blur.

For more information, see GtG versus MPRT, The Two Pixel Response Methods.

VRR still hugely benefits OLED. But 240fps looks better on OLED than 360fps looks on LCD. There's about a 1.5x-2x blur advantage with unstrobed OLEDs versus unstrobed LCDs, due to the darn near lack of the GtG component in MPRT blur.

So you can't have less display motion blur at 240fps on any flickerless display, than a 1/240sec photograph. You need to add more framerate (and Hz) or add impulsing to reduce motion blur further.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2023, 21:10

KALK4L wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 11:00
hart wrote:

Using the monitors at 240Hz while getting 90 FPS with VRR on will give better results than 90Hz with 90 FPS, because the first configuration will give better input lag results. So I think they will look identical but the input lag will be different between the two.

Jorimt and Chief Blur Buster gave me good answers here that you might find useful
This is correct.

Always, always aim to get more Hz than you think you need, as long as you can afford it & as long as it doesn't have disadvantages.

We no longer have (mandatory) picture quality degradation for high Hz like for the first high Hz LCDs (TN). Since high Hz is now finally available in wide-gamut LCD format and OLED format. You ideally want your frame rate range completely inside your VRR range if you can -- including your 1% frame rate peaks -- so you don't have to worry about the capping stuff.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Jul 2023, 21:37

hart wrote:

Depending on your tolerance and the given model, OLED VRR near-black flicker, for one:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12166&p=95019#p94998

Secondly, OLED has near 0ms GtG, which will prevent virtually all visible ghosting/smearing artifacts that are usually seen on slower LCD models, but like already mention here, OLED is sample-and-hold, so non-strobing clarity is still tied to achievable refresh + framerate ratios.

I.E. 90 FPS 240Hz OLED VRR will be lower latency than 90 FPS 90Hz non-VRR, and will have virtually no visible ghosting/smearing like equivalent LCD panels, but the given blur/double image of 90 FPS (aka "MPRT," or motion picture response time blur) will remain.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)