Dough Spectrum Black BFI/quality questions

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
blurblurb

Dough Spectrum Black BFI/quality questions

Post by blurblurb » 05 Jul 2023, 13:53

hello this is my first post here and thank you for helping to make modern monitors better (though sometimes it seems like it would just be simpler, easier, better and cheaper if somebody could please just crowdfund a new crt) :roll:

anyhow - :lol:

i am really close to buying a XG2431 because of its great BFI functions, but after using CRTs and OLEDs I am just concerned that the contrast is going to be such a big downgrade that I might regret the purchase, plus 24" 16:9 is small.

i read that dough will have the spectrum black out soon and it's only about twice as much as the XG2431 if preordered, and while most of my questions are about BFI i also wonder what people think about the image quality differences between the two.

1) one reason I considered the xg2431 is that it does BFI down to 60hz input which sounds good for old consoles. from the spectrum website it isn't quite exactly stated that the monitor will accept input that is 60hz that is from a console instead of a computer and then BFI that. they write it "works up to 120 fps" but does that mean anything from 48hz up can be divided into the 240hz max of the monitor with bfi? and the same whether its from computer or from consoles/video players?

2) the spectrum monitor says it has updatable firmware. i know the panel tech is different and so the options wouldnt be the same but does that mean it could get something on a firmware level that offers more custom settings like the pc-based blurbusters utility that makes the xg2431 so much better than stock? another reason im reconsidering xg2431 is you can only tweak it best through pc, so consoles miss many blurbuster settings.

3) i have an oled hmd and if it were more comfortable/convenient to wear for several hours at a time i would just use that all the time instead of any monitor. :) its refresh is max 90hz so with the spectrum black monitor being 240 (divided for BFI) will i get similar, worse or better image quality, brightness and persistence blur removal?

4) anything else you'd consider before deciding between these monitors? is the spectrum black better in every way or just at some things? the goal of the purchase is to have something as close to crt as possible...without risking ebay frustrations for an actual crt. :P

5) is spectrum black the only OLED in sight with really good BFI now that the LG CX series is done? or are there any other options maybe just as good in the next year? for the price i wish it was closer to 40" instead of 27".

thankyou

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Dough Spectrum Black BFI/quality questions

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2023, 23:46

Multiple OLED models with BFI (for 120Hz and less) are coming. Dough, however, is the only glossy model, which is important to some.

About BFI performance of OLEDs vs XG2431 I have a reply here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12217&p=95446#p95446

It's a matter of priorities -- pros/cons.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!