List of 240Hz OLEDs

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

List of 240Hz OLEDs

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2023, 23:35

Here's the best-known list of 240 Hz OLEDs, pasted from another forum post of mine.

Please update availability dates if you see them announced and/or hitting the market.

I am finally starting to lose count in this tsunami flood!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NeonPizza

Re: List of 240Hz OLEDs

Post by NeonPizza » 05 Aug 2023, 06:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 23:35
Here's the best-known list of 240 Hz OLEDs, pasted from another forum post of mine.

Please update availability dates if you see them announced and/or hitting the market.

I am finally starting to lose count in this tsunami flood!

Any idea when larger Samsung QD-OLED 240hz displays will become available, like in the 65" Range? And will they also support 240hz BFI? Seems like LG and Samsung have abandoned 120hz BFI, and have no plans on bringing it back probably because they figure most people aren't using it, so eliminating the feature will just save them more money in the end.

Where's 1000fps & 4K motion clarity running at 120fps when you need it? lol The question is, when will we be getting a 1ms motion persistence for large sized QD-OLED displays(Or micro-LED etc). Feels like it will never happen, since there's very little demand. Most people seem content gaming with high motion blur and very little motion clarity @60fps.

Putting aside VR & AR, this would be my dream TV, strictly for gaming >

Micro-LED
83" (Flush Mounted)
4K resolution
4K motion clarity
Zero motion blur
120-144fps
Sterescopic 3D - (To feel like you're looking through a window into a virtual gaming world. MASSIVE game changer!)
Advanced Gyro/Motion controller with a reference(Sensor bar for ex).

But realistically, this is the best I can do based on what's currently available. And i wouldn't dare go 77" just yet, because the motion blur will just be magnified, even when running games at 144fps.

65"
QD-OLED (S95C)
4k Resolution
144fps
6.8ms motion persistence from 144fps
Over 600p motion clarity

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Aug 2023, 11:41

NeonPizza wrote:
05 Aug 2023, 06:55
Zero motion blur
120-144fps
Do note, that's not 100% achievable at that frame/refresh rate due to stroboscopic effect. And if displays ever do achieve retina frame/refresh rates, faster motion just ends up blurring again anyway.

Motion clarity nuts need to remember real eyes experience motion blur too, we just don't want any added on top of it by the display, same goes for latency; the ultimate goal with any external peripheral is for the human body to become the only bottleneck, which "ain't even close to perfect" either.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 05 Aug 2023, 13:28

jorimt wrote:
05 Aug 2023, 11:41
NeonPizza wrote:
Zero motion blur
120-144fps
Do note, that's not 100% achievable at that frame/refresh rate due to stroboscopic effect. And if displays ever do achieve retina frame/refresh rates, faster motion just ends up blurring again anyway.

Motion clarity nuts need to remember real eyes experience motion blur too, we just don't want any added on top of it by the display, same goes for latency; the ultimate goal with any external peripheral is for the human body to become the only bottleneck, which "ain't even close to perfect" either.
An OLED capable of 240fps, + 240hz BFI maxed out should be good enough as far blur reduction goes. Unfortunately, those are limited to 45" max as a computer display monitor. If 240fps can knock the persistence down to 4ms, then what's stopping 240hz BFI high from achieving 1ms?

My LG C1, when running a game at 120fps, and using MotionPro High gets the persistence down to 3.2ms. It's almost reaching CRT la la land. 240 + BFI should do the trick, or almost at the very least, assumingly. :P

In regards to persistence, LG C1 >

120fps = 8.3ms
120fps + MotionPro Medium = 5ms
120fps + MotionPro High = 3.2ms

Samsung S95C >

144fps = 6.8ms

With the C1, you can get a big boost in brightness for MPHigh, if you hop in the service menu and switch HDR module from Normal to 'ON' Without it, MPHIgh isn't worth using because of the severe brightness loss.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Aug 2023, 20:43

NeonPizza wrote:
If 240fps can knock the persistence down to 4ms, then what's stopping 240hz BFI high from achieving 1ms?
As I've already mentioned in other topics here, it's partially down to sustainable full field brightness (along with potential backplane limitations) on current OLED panels when compared directly to otherwise equivalently-specced LCD panels that can already reach the necessary brightness to achieve 1ms or under persistence when strobed.

OLED simply isn't there yet, and there's no guarantee it ever will be.

As for "viable" consumer microLED, we've been talking about those for years, but nothing has come of them. Last that is known is the form factor and yield rate is not quite there for mass production at the same scale as current-gen TV/monitor tech.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Aug 2023, 23:47

jorimt wrote:
05 Aug 2023, 11:41
NeonPizza wrote:
Zero motion blur
120-144fps

WHOA!

Watch that dangerous semantics rabbit hole, jorim :D :D :D

My experience is that I went into giant arguments about terminology because we were talking about apples vs oranges, so -- this PSA applies to moderators here -- to correct everybody's use of terminology, but I want to be careful that people on Blur Busters Forums distinguish the different types of blurs.

Not everyone talks about the same blurs. When most people say "zero blur", they want the CRT effect. This is much closer (albiet not quite) achievable with 60Hz via external BFI boxes on 240Hz OLEDs (such as Retrotink 4K, which can do HDR nit-boosting for BFI brighter than LG OLED BFI) -- I am working with Mike of Retrotink to add BFI via an external video processor box, for BFI enthusiasts.

Here's a list of the 3 most common kinds of "blurs" that many people talk about, some fixable, and some unfixable:
  1. Stroboscopic Effect
  2. Persistence Blur (Frametime blur / Sample and hold blur / Pulsewidth blur)
  3. GtG Ghosting
To readers: Nuance the type of blur you're picky about.
To moderators: Acknowledge that when people say zero blur, remind the 3 main kinds of blurs. The said person may be referring to item #2 (CRT tubes)

I've been enough arguments to find out how I can make the person quickly agree with me, once I gave them a menu that made them realize exactly what they wanted / what they were picky about.

Now, there's also a human perceptual biasing effect. Flicker-free 4ms MPRT on OLED often looks (roughly) as low blur as Flickery 2.4ms MPRT of old NVIDIA LightBoost. Although not quite zero blur for ultra fast motion speeds, games like Super Mario are slowly scrolling enough (even at maximum scroll speeds) that they go sufficiently darn near blurless at 4ms MPRT. So, many find that sufficiently good enough, if they're targetting temporal CRT simulation for CRT resolution content.

Higher resolutions amplify display motion blur visibility, so the type of material you play, and their relative scroll speeds, can determine your MPRT requirements. The low resolution retro stuff tend to work pretty well at 2-4ms MPRT, while modern stuff you may be picky enough to go 0.5ms-1ms MPRT (not yet achievable on direct-view OLED).

For ultrafast high-resolution motion, LCD strobing massively outperforms OLED BFI by an order of magnitude. However, for retro purposes, getting to roughly plasma-quality motion (which 240Hz OLEDs can achieve with an external box like the upcoming Retrotink 4K I'm working with), is usually good enough for most.

The low resolutions, means even 4 pixels/frame scrolling is a fairly fast horizontal scroll at things like 224-pixel-wide retro video game consoles, and quarter-persistence (4ms MPRT 60Hz) looks zero-blur at this scroll speed.

Also, check out External BFI Injector Box -- Retrotink 4K Video Processor/Scaler which can add either CRT scanline effects -- or BFI -- or both simultaneously!
External BFI Injector Solution

The amazing thing is that Retrotink 4K does brighter BFI on LG OLEDs than the LG OLED's built in BFI!
retrotink4k.png
retrotink4k.png (55.68 KiB) Viewed 12892 times
It's a box-in-middle that goes between your source (console/retro/xbox/playstation/computer/FireTV/etc) and the display, and even supports 240Hz via ModeLines on SD cards. Whether you want to do 96Hz doublestrobe (35mm projector simulator) or add 120/180/240Hz BFI to your Nintendo, you can do it now with the upcoming Retrotink 4K box. And yes, you can connect a PC/Mac of any OS through its HDMI input -- although at lower resolutions and lower refresh rates (720p-1080p), depending on output resolution you plan to use. It's retro marketed, but the ability to partially simulate a CRT temporally and spatially is something that an external box can do (add scanlines filter + add BFI!).

That's because it converts retro SDR video input (e.g. Super Nintendo) to a HDR colorspace, then applies HDR brightness-boosting. We found that in certain cases, we can brighten 50%-cadence 60Hz BFI to become brighter than 60Hz non-BFI.

As I've been pissed at 240Hz OLEDs lack of BFI, I'm putting matters into my hands and helping someone throw BFI straight into a box-in-middle which can be used with almost any high-Hz sample and hold display. Problem solved, and I outperform the TV's BFI in brightness to boot!

DigitalFoundry Retro Nut Confirms

twitter.com/dark1x/status/1686843392917954560
retrotink-4k-bfi-hdr-boost.png
retrotink-4k-bfi-hdr-boost.png (455.21 KiB) Viewed 12903 times
Includes:
- Custom Hz support (Linux style ModeLines in a text file on a SD card you insert into Retrotink)
- Variable persistence BFI (if output Hz supports)
- Multistrobe BFI (for fans who want to simulate a 35mm projector)
- LCD saver (prevents image retention)
retrotink-features.png
retrotink-features.png (175.51 KiB) Viewed 12886 times
(Mike is the founder of Retrotink)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Aug 2023, 09:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Aug 2023, 23:47
WHOA!

Watch that dangerous semantics rabbit hole, jorim :D :D :D
I was fully cognizant of the fact that @NeonPizza was referring to a lack of GtG/persistence blur when they said "Zero motion blur," hence my response to them.

Serial motion blur idealists holding out for the "perfect" display should simply be aware of the limitations of both far future retina-level display manufacturing and the human eye.

But sure, if all they're referring to is non-CRT displays maintaining high enough sustained full field brightness to achieve CRT-like motion clarity for lower frame/refresh rates via strobing at finite scrolling speeds, it's already doable on current-gen LCD and potential future consumer tech like microLED, just not as fully doable on OLED (for aforementioned reasons) in the nearer term.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Aug 2023, 23:47
Also, check out External BFI Injector Box -- Retrotink 4K Video Processor/Scaler which can add either CRT scanline effects -- or BFI -- or both simultaneously!
Neat.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Aug 2023, 17:23

Another nuance is what threshold they are considering about motion blur reduction. I also noticed some say "zero motion blur" may end up happy only with 0.25ms MPRT (which would appeal to yesteryear's "LightBoost 10%" fans), and others may refer to 4ms MPRT. For the latter, OLED can most certainly achieve.

Some people don't realize what they prefer, until they try it themselves. Brute framerate-based motion blur reduction performs much better on OLED than LCD.

For users who have lots of money, try both a very good LCD strobe mode (e.g. XG2431) and a 240Hz OLED (any of them) and go with what you prefer.

Cdim

Post by Cdim » 16 Aug 2023, 01:12

So, If I could play a game right now on 1500+ fps, would that benefit the current 240hz oleds to that lossless like motionblur quality due to near 0gtg? Or does the mention of this brute framerate solution only come into effect when the monitor hz is much higher and refreshrate is just as high as the framerate?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2023, 01:20

Cdim wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 01:12
So, If I could play a game right now on 1500+ fps, would that benefit the current 240hz oleds to that lossless like motionblur quality due to near 0gtg? Or does the mention of this brute framerate solution only come into effect when the monitor hz is much higher and refreshrate is just as high as the framerate?
Motionblur is capped to refresh rate, alas.

Sample and hold is best-case equal to frametime, but starts to be capped by max Hz.

Frame rates above refresh rate derive no further motion blur reductions on a sample-and-hold display, except via reduced jittering/etc (during VSYNC OFF).

That's why I am excited about 1000Hz OLEDs by ~2027-2030.

However, brute framerate can still reduce latency, while reducing visibility of tearing, as seen in this article:
Are There Advantages to Frame Rates Higher Than the Refresh Rate?

Hope this helps!