The 480Hz Tour De Force, Chef's Masterpiece: 480HZ OLED PURSUIT CAMERA

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
doug5421

Re: The 480Hz Tour De Force, Chef's Masterpiece: 480HZ OLED PURSUIT CAMERA

Post by doug5421 » 02 Feb 2024, 21:32

Can anyone hypothesize what the input lag would look like w/ 240hz ELMB? Could it still be competitive in esports? Assuming it’d be much better than 120hz ELMB.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 03 Feb 2024, 12:55

doug5421 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 21:32
Can anyone hypothesize what the input lag would look like w/ 240hz ELMB? Could it still be competitive in esports? Assuming it’d be much better than 120hz ELMB.
I estimate the chnace for it to be a problem at 0,00%.

120Hz backlight strobing is already OK with v-sync OFF.
120Hz backlight strobing is laggy v-sync ON, but much less laggy than 60Hz.
240Hz backlight strobing should be usable even with v-sync ON, although you'd still be better off using v-sync off for score-focused gaming. I see no reason why any monitor manufacturer would screw things up so badly that it would give some super stupid amount like +20ms. 240Hz full frame cycle is 4ms, so the backlight strobing itself will have close to zero effect.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Feb 2024, 16:50

RonsonPL wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 12:55
doug5421 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 21:32
I estimate the chnace for it to be a problem at 0,00%.

120Hz backlight strobing is already OK with v-sync OFF.
120Hz backlight strobing is laggy v-sync ON, but much less laggy than 60Hz.
240Hz backlight strobing should be usable even with v-sync ON, although you'd still be better off using v-sync off for score-focused gaming. I see no reason why any monitor manufacturer would screw things up so badly that it would give some super stupid amount like +20ms. 240Hz full frame cycle is 4ms, so the backlight strobing itself will have close to zero effect.
OLED does not have a backlight, so you have to use BFI / multi-refresh techniques.

There's some special considerations with OLED BFI only working up to half OLED max Hz on many OLED panels that do not have two-pass pixel refreshing per refresh cycle...

Only a few OLEDs (e.g. LG CX, Oculus Rift, PSVR2, etc) can do a double-refresh per refresh cycle (once to turn on pixels, again to turn off pixels), allowing sub-refresh BFI at max Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Tygr

Post by Tygr » 04 Feb 2024, 09:26

r0ach wrote:
28 Jan 2024, 02:46
Tygr wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 05:09
r0ach wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 03:20
Haste wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 03:10

Has there been input lag test done about this? (LDAT/ high speed camera/reflex equipped monitor/...)
I mean, it’s not that hard to test yourself since there are monitors like the XG27AQMR that let you toggle it on and off in the OSD. This is something you don’t need any fancy machinery to test because the difference is pretty noticeable toggling back and forth where you’re definitely going to like how it feels better off.

Blurbuster man says it might just be bad implementation but I think it’s an inherent DSC problem since the behavior is identical on every single monitor I’ve tried with it. As for actual measurements, it’s slightly anecdotal, but the HP 27QS and LG 27GR83Q-B both use similar BOE panels with the HP not using DSC while the LG does. RTINGS reviewed both and the HP has lower input lag. Don’t think anyone has actually benched it on and off on a monitor like XG27AQMR. It’s not something I personally need to bench as it feels unplayable turned on to me.

So my prediction is that you will see people in the competitive scene either fail to adopt new monitors like the Asus 540hz at all, or the people that do use it will probably underperform. And this will be the first sign of time for engineering to go back to the drawing board.
Hello roach

If the bottom line is that dsc is shit and most new oleds will use it

Can you name a good monitor for competetive games?

Should I consider benq new xl2546x/xl2548x?
Or another model that already exists and available!

Im using very old tn 144hz and want to upgrade
I’ve tried like 10 monitors in the last two months and each one either has 1). INSANELY HIGH EYE STRAIN 2). Sluggish cursor movement or 3). Both.

There’s a very high chance whatever you buy will be worse than what you already have (144hz TN panels aren’t exactly slow).
for now I'm keeping my old benq 144hz tn. it got some issues going on for it but it does the job
I'll wait to see what 2024 will bring to the table and hopefully I will find my "endgame" later this year