What causes horizontal white line flicker?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Dreamic

What causes horizontal white line flicker?

Post by Dreamic » 01 Mar 2024, 22:36

I have this issue and can find numerous reports on all kinds of displays from QDOLED to WOLED, LG, Dell/Alienware, MSI 27" and 32", etc. But I never find an explanation or a real solution, I don't know if people give up, get a replacement, or it magically disappears and they don't say anything. The only "solution" for my MPG 271QRX so far seems to be lowering the refresh rate to 240Hz from 360Hz. Why would this be? I tried experimenting with CRU, but with this display specifically it seems to completely ignore it. Seems this may be because DSC seems enabled at all refresh rates and resolutions. Maybe it could be DSC artifacts at 360Hz and its somehow stable at 240Hz? Supposedly MSI will be releasing a firmware allowing DSC to be disabled, but even with its full 48gbps HDMI 2.1 port this won't allow 360Hz 1440p atleast at 10bit. The included cable is certified by the way, and the issue still exists regardless of monitor port or GPU port, same applies for DisplayPort. Also not VRR related, same issue on or off. The lines can go minutes without appearing, and appear in random locations, and vary in left to right width. I don't know if there's a specific way to trigger it. I'm also on the newest version of Windows 11 and Nvidia drivers (3080) and monitor firmware. I don't know if there's much else I can add
phpBB [video]

Screenshot 2024-03-01 213513.png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 213513.png (113.52 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

I hope someone has some insight, thanks!
Last edited by Dreamic on 03 Mar 2024, 19:24, edited 5 times in total.

Dreamic

Re: What causes horizontal white line flicker?

Post by Dreamic » 03 Mar 2024, 00:41

It seems simply making any change in NVCP that causes the driver to restart (black screen for a second) fixed the issue, temporarily...
Some weird behavior, that reinitializing things somehow solves...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Mar 2024, 19:11

This is a strange firmware bug.

Idea: Try using NVIDIA Custom Resolution and tweaking a porch number by a tiny bit bigger, or try a custom 350Hz refresh rate, and see if the behavior changes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dreamic

Post by Dreamic » 03 Mar 2024, 19:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 19:11
This is a strange firmware bug.

Idea: Try using NVIDIA Custom Resolution and tweaking a porch number by a tiny bit bigger, or try a custom 350Hz refresh rate, and see if the behavior changes.
This is the only display I've had which I haven't been able to get CRU working, nor are custom res supported in NVCP. Deleting resolutions, etc, from CRU, nothing is listened to. I think it might be because DSC is currently forced on at all resolutions and refresh rates. I don't know.

Besides firmware, it could be an Nvidia driver or Windows bug possibly.

Also here's two others having the same issue
zpukAaB.png
zpukAaB.png (195.79 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
phpBB [video]

Also here's maybe the main Reddit thread about it so far I guess could be useful to add:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... _to_360hz/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Mar 2024, 23:18

Dreamic wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 00:41
It seems simply making any change in NVCP that causes the driver to restart (black screen for a second) fixed the issue, temporarily...
You can also try ToastyX restart64.exe as an alternative way of rebooting the driver.
Annoying though.

This is really truly a mysterious firmware bug, and I deem this to be a firmware bug.

Also, the disabling of NVCP Custom Resolution is quite annoying, and the inability to use ToastyX is also quite annoying too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dreamic

Post by Dreamic » 04 Mar 2024, 11:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 23:18
Dreamic wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 00:41
You can also try ToastyX restart64.exe as an alternative way of rebooting the driver.
Annoying though.

This is really truly a mysterious firmware bug, and I deem this to be a firmware bug.

Also, the disabling of NVCP Custom Resolution is quite annoying, and the inability to use ToastyX is also quite annoying too.
Yes, I have done that, it is annoying and it seems like eventually the problem does come back over time but that almost acts as some sort of refresher or something... I don't know what's happening.

Me and another guy have been trying to brainstorm possible solutions and try things one by one, at this point I @'d MSI on Reddit with basically everyone I could quickly find so far who have reported the issue in various places there, 12 people.
Screenshot 2024-03-04 103139.png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 103139.png (82.55 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
I also submitted a ticket to MSI etc. So hopefully something comes from this, they're easier to reach than Nvidia or Microsoft (if it was one of their issues) and if it were, MSI would have an easier time with whatever connections they have.

Also, they have previously said they're working on a firmware update to disable DSC, which I think would allow CRU and custom res in NVCP to work. However, 360Hz 2560x1440 at 10bit still wouldn't work without DSC even with its proper full 48gbps HDMI 2.1 so... You would have to lower refresh rate, run 8bit, or hopefully they just get the full potential working flawlessly with DSC.

Don't think there's much more I can do, got MSI's attention as much as I can.

Mckrogh

Post by Mckrogh » 13 Mar 2024, 07:57

I have the same display and the exact same issue. Im torn between keeping it (hope for firmware fix) or by sending it back.

Would you guys keep it? Or send it back?

Dreamic

Post by Dreamic » 13 Mar 2024, 21:23

Mckrogh wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 07:57
I have the same display and the exact same issue. Im torn between keeping it (hope for firmware fix) or by sending it back.

I've been hoping for a firmware fix, even though it seemingly doesn't seem exclusive to this panel or even Samsung/QDOLED somehow... MSI seems to have said they're replicated the issue and are looking how to solve it, which hopefully they can.

When the DSC toggle firmware comes out, since this has HDMI 2.1 we will be able to run 314Hz roughly at 1440p 360Hz 10bit, and maybe that will be free from the issue as 240Hz is. I'm assuming without DSC such custom resolutions will be supported, and that the issue is possibly related to DSC (despite it still being on at 240Hz). Or maybe 314Hz being lower like 240Hz will make it issue free, if it's related to being too high. The issue also exists at 360Hz at 8bit iirc, so when DSC toggle comes we could check if DSC disabled 1440p 360Hz 8bit exhibits the issue as that will be possible without DSC unlike 10bit.

I just don't understand how some have experienced this on the 32" from MSI, the 27" from Dell/Alienware with the same panel as this, people with LG WOLED even and some with TVs... how in the hell could these all have the same root cause when they're completely removed from each other. If that's real MSI might have a bit of an impossible task? Or they'll discover the problem of multiple displays and panels... Unless there's somehow different causes of what seems to be the exact same issue.

I don't know man.

Also what else would I even buy? RMAing would be a complete waste of yours and their time though, it's either return for refund or keep it. I've done my job in bringing this to their attention as much as possible, detailing it and providing as much info as possible and tagging everyone who has commented about experiencing the issue in a post on Reddit.
TFTCentral also said he will pass it on etc. He did experience it but hasn't had the time to look into why and may not before he has to send it back unfortunately, but a voice like that helps.

It's disappointing when there's an issue no reviewers end up mentioning and random customers have to rally together to be heard. I'd have had such an easier time if I was someone like Hardware Unboxed talking to MSI about this.

Anyways fingers crossed. MSI probably also doesn't want to say this is a known issue that affects all panels until they are sure they can fix it... imagine acknowledging that publicly and then not being able to figure out or fix it.

Dreamic

Post by Dreamic » 14 Mar 2024, 17:04

Mckrogh wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 07:57

Screenshot 2024-03-14 160324.png
Screenshot 2024-03-14 160324.png (25.41 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Dreamic

Post by Dreamic » 21 Mar 2024, 19:05

But look at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... _27gs95qe/

Same issue, different brand and panel, WOLED instead of QDOLED, new, recent.
If we think it's firmware, what the f*** is going on?
The guy says it's his 2nd LG with the issue too.
This seems doomed, widespread, most people are halfblind is an issue.