Why 240fps on my 360hz OLED monitor feels worse than 240fps on my other 240hz Oled monitor ?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Akso

Why 240fps on my 360hz OLED monitor feels worse than 240fps on my other 240hz Oled monitor ?

Post by Akso » 03 Mar 2024, 16:02

Just switched from the Asus 240hz 1440p monitor to the AW2725DF 360hz OLED monitor from Alienware.

I try capping my FPS to 240 fps, thinking that with G-Sync it will butterfly smooth since I was dropping frames and having V-Sync ON.

It wasnt the case at all. It was jittery af. The game is Warzone 2 to be precised.
What was strange is if I use my Asus monitor, cap at 240fps too, it feels butterfly smooth.

Is it normal ?

DeckOled

Re: Why 240fps on my 360hz OLED monitor feels worse than 240fps on my other 240hz Oled monitor ?

Post by DeckOled » 04 Mar 2024, 15:10

I realized 2 things work really well with the AW2725DF so far…please note this is not testing just my subjective thoughts on playing CS2:

1) 360 hz set in windows and in game. gsync on in nvidia control panel, vsync on in nvidia control panel, no frame rate cap in game or in nvidia control panel. Made sure my frames are set to maximum in game. In game: made sure vsync was off and reflex +boost is on. Not sure if boost is needed as I’ve read mixed things regarding competitive shooters.

2) gsync off and vsync on in nvidia control panel. Capping frames to 240 in nvidia control panel and setting monitor to 240 hZ in windows and in game. This option is very smooth and consistent if you can’t hit 360 frames all the time.

I had a feeling at first option 2 would be better until I tried option 1 again and currently love it. Both are great though.

DeckOled

Re: Why 240fps on my 360hz OLED monitor feels worse than 240fps on my other 240hz Oled monitor ?

Post by DeckOled » 04 Mar 2024, 15:10

I realized 2 things work really well with the AW2725DF so far…please note this is not testing just my subjective thoughts on playing CS2:

1) 360 hz set in windows and in game. gsync on in nvidia control panel, vsync on in nvidia control panel, no frame rate cap in game or in nvidia control panel. Made sure my frames are set to maximum in game. In game: made sure vsync was off and reflex +boost is on. Not sure if boost is needed as I’ve read mixed things regarding competitive shooters.

2) gsync off and vsync on in nvidia control panel. Capping frames to 240 in nvidia control panel and setting monitor to 240 hZ in windows and in game. This option is very smooth and consistent if you can’t hit 360 frames all the time.

I had a feeling at first option 2 would be better until I tried option 1 again and currently love it. Both are great though.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2024, 21:41

Many monitors do not perform very well at under native refresh rate.

Alternate approaches:

1. It's better to use max Hz, and use GSYNC to have a "lower lag 240Hz" on a 360Hz.
GSYNC has fewer compromises if your uncapped framerate range is completely within your VRR range. Most lag complaints about GSYNC is framerate ranges that repeatedly go outside the VRR range. So new esports purchasers of VRR needs to purchase more refresh rate range than they need, so they don't have to cap, e.g. a 480Hz screen, since 100-200fps on a 480Hz VRR screen is delightlyfully much lower lag than 100-200fps on a 240Hz VRR.

2. If you need a fixed-Hz mode for any reason (motion blur reduction, etc), try using Quick Frame Transport tweaks, e.g. custom mode to do 240Hz refresh cycles transmitted over cable in 1/360sec. Utilities such as ToastyX CRU can achieve this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Akso

Post by Akso » 10 Mar 2024, 17:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:41

Alternate approaches:

1. It's better to use max Hz, and use GSYNC to have a "lower lag 240Hz" on a 360Hz.
GSYNC has fewer compromises if your uncapped framerate range is completely within your VRR range. Most lag complaints about GSYNC is framerate ranges that repeatedly go outside the VRR range. So new esports purchasers of VRR needs to purchase more refresh rate range than they need, so they don't have to cap, e.g. a 480Hz screen, since 100-200fps on a 480Hz VRR screen is delightlyfully much lower lag than 100-200fps on a 240Hz VRR.

2. If you need a fixed-Hz mode for any reason (motion blur reduction, etc), try using Quick Frame Transport tweaks, e.g. custom mode to do 240Hz refresh cycles transmitted over cable in 1/360sec. Utilities such as ToastyX CRU can achieve this.
I mean, when Im playing in Warzone, the game is running 200-250 fps but its juddery as hell. The input lag is a lot felt. Almost unplayable and makes me want to resell my 360hz OLED monitor.

Why everyone is advertising to buy this monitor when when you cant run it at below his native refresh rate (even with G-SYNC enable) it is a mess and unplayable ?
Ive had this issue with every single one of my monitor, makes game when running at refresh rate unplayable. Its only smooth when at 360 fps or near that number.

Akso

Post by Akso » 10 Mar 2024, 18:52

Akso wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 17:37
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:41

Alternate approaches:

I mean, when Im playing in Warzone, the game is running 200-250 fps but its juddery as hell. The input lag is a lot felt. Almost unplayable and makes me want to resell my 360hz OLED monitor.

Why everyone is advertising to buy this monitor when when you cant run it at below his native refresh rate (even with G-SYNC enable) it is a mess and unplayable ?
Ive had this issue with every single one of my monitor, makes game when running at refresh rate unplayable. Its only smooth when at 360 fps or near that number.
After some testing on with the Animation Timing Deviation graph, Ive found out that Armoury Crate (Asus RGB Software) and L-Connect 3 (Lian-li RGB software) were causing stuter on the graph. Ive found out that after disabling all of their processes in the Task Manager.

Now. playing at 200 fps is butterfly smooth.

How in hell are RGB software able to do that ? Can someone explain to me ? Im about to resell all of my RGB thingy...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2024, 21:18

Akso wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 18:52
After some testing on with the Animation Timing Deviation graph, Ive found out that Armoury Crate (Asus RGB Software) and L-Connect 3 (Lian-li RGB software) were causing stuter on the graph. Ive found out that after disabling all of their processes in the Task Manager.

Now. playing at 200 fps is butterfly smooth.

How in hell are RGB software able to do that ? Can someone explain to me ? Im about to resell all of my RGB thingy...
RGB software is sometimes a stutter-plague at >240Hz

It can be designed efficiently (Some RGB software has no perceptible latency) but different RGB software unfortunately adds a lot of latencies, jitters, and stutters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!