What OLED Monitor/TV would you choose with a Retrotink 4K and Retro Hardware?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
TeslaBB

What OLED Monitor/TV would you choose with a Retrotink 4K and Retro Hardware?

Post by TeslaBB » 14 Mar 2024, 12:39

If you had the choice of using an OLED TV or an OLED PC monitor which would you choose? The OLED TV route has comfort, brightness, and color advantages. The PC monitor route has BFI insertion and 240hz. I'm leaning towards an OLED TV. I've owned many film grade CRTs (PVM, XM29, XM37), but got tired of fixing geometry and the huge amount of space they occupy. I've owned a Framemeister many years ago when OLEDs were not commonplace and 120hz was unheard of. I have an LG 65E7P and it wasn't impressive with the Framemeister. It was playable for the most part, but I definitely preferred the CRTs. I am just wondering if a 120hz OLED TV in combination with the Retrotink 4k will fill that gap between CRT and OLED. I have a 3090 and 240hz 1440p IPS panel that I use for modern games. Never really liked emulators.

OLED TV:

-LG C3 65 or 77"
-Glossy
-Typically no BFI insertion
-120hz
-comfort of playing from couch/bed

PC Monitor:

-ASUS ROG Swift PG32UCDM 31.5"
-240hz
-BFI 120hz (can be used in combination with Retrotink 4k BFI?)
-limited to PC workspace

Any suggestions or sharing your Retrotink 4k setup are appreciated. Thank you.

deama

Re: What OLED Monitor/TV would you choose with a Retrotink 4K and Retro Hardware?

Post by deama » 03 Apr 2024, 12:02

I've got a LG CX that allows me to have 120hz with BFI at 4k. I don't really like ultrawides, I tried one in the past and didn't like them at all, very awful for web browsing, or even gaming tbh.

So for me it'll have to be something like 5k@240hz with BFI is best. I might be able to deal with 8k@165hz +BFI or so though.

But from my understanding of how the retrotink works, you'd basically need it to be at 4k@480hz to get 4k@240hz BFI right? Damn, that'll take godamn years, a good decade I bet for that on a TV...