PG32UCDM inversion artifacts?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Genadio

PG32UCDM inversion artifacts?

Post by Genadio » 18 Mar 2024, 03:30

I see vertical "scan lines" on my PG32UCDM QD OLED and I believe these are inversion artifacts.

Symptoms are:
At 240Hz with or without VRR - I see them in some dark places in games during motion. As motion stops, they dissapear. It's very difficult to detect them at first place if you don't know they exist and where to look. But I tested VRR flickering in Cyberpunk 2077 and carefully observed dark areas, that's how I noticed these lines and now I can easily make them appear and see them.

At <100Hz/FPS with VRR activated - they appear in more places (but also dark) and also in static content! I made a video with them in a Cyberpunk 2077 screenshot. I wanted to add the link to this video, but I'm not allowed to add an external link to this post.

Are these lines inversion artifacts?

I thought this was only an issue with old TN monitors.
I made a post on Reddit where I asked people to check this phenomenon. Most of them told me they had nothing, but I think I just didn't explain well enough what to do to notice them.

On one german forum, I asked people to check this on their PG32UCDM. And two people who really reproduced the conditions I described were able to detect them.
I also saw several reports with a very similar issue on other QD OLED monitors from MSI and Dell.

marcin512

Re: PG32UCDM inversion artifacts?

Post by marcin512 » 02 Apr 2024, 14:13

Hi,
You mean this when slowly moving horizontally?

REDDIT: /r/ASUSROG/comments/153i443/weird_vertical_lines_when_moving_from_or_panning/

I own DELL U3032E and have the same issue, also my friend has the same LCD and he claims his unit might have it too. The guy in reddit thread linked above claims the issue stopped after he replaced GPU. In my case it's 100% not related to GPU. Tested on different PCs / GPUs. All the same.

I have multi monitor setup and what's most interesting is that when I move CP2077 window to the other monitor, and slowly move it back, the issue disappears... until I press esc to get to the menu, and hit esc once again to get back to the game.

I concluded that in my case the DELL monitor seems to have some algorithms for detecting games / full screen color changes. How could you explain it otherwise?