Samsung QD OLED

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
NeonPizza

Re: Samsung QD OLED

Post by NeonPizza » 23 Mar 2023, 17:23

Adi-C wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 05:40
NeonPizza wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 15:00
Wow! Didn't realize the C1's 'MotionPro high' persistence was around 4ms....
Cx (2020 models) apparently goes even lower @3.5ms at bfi high, but the near black areas may be worse than c1, but I don't know that for sure. I think c2 further improved blacks somewhat again.

I wrote more about a few oleds persistence based on rtings reviews graphs here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10233&p=83112#p83112
Sadly s95C, this year's model is again limited to 60hz and 8.4ms persistence... And 2023 lg's are too.
NeonPizza wrote:
BTW, the S95C in SDR game mode using 60hz BFI offers roughly around 140 nits of brightness, do you know how much brightness you're getting when using MotionPro HIGH in SDR game mode on the LG C1?
Yeah, sorry, no, I don't own any of these, I'm just interested in bfi, but I can't check it myself.
NeonPizza wrote:
I'm assuming the Samsung is brighter since it's boasting QD-OLED tech AND because the persistence is 2x as high, i mean take a look at RTNGS SDR nit numbers and the S95B & S95C are noticeably brighter.
Yeah, I've heard that s95B, so 2022 model in BFI mode is... brighter than lg without bfi! Dunno which lg model though. Is s95C brighter than "B" model, or the input lag- I dunno, sorry.

Sorry, a little confused here. You mentioned that the C1 has a 4ms persistence with it's max BFI setting....But does that 4ms translate to MotionPro High when watching Movies & TV? Basically, for low frame rate content, or is it solely for 120fps content, like video games and 8ms for movies, TV and games that run at 60fps?

If that's the case, than I'm guessing there should be no difference between MotionPro High on the C1 Vs what the S90C & S95C have to offer specifically for movies, TV and 60fps games. But in the end, i guess it doesn't really matter either way if the flicker on whites is that aggravating to the eyes.

life_at_1ms

Post by life_at_1ms » 29 Apr 2023, 22:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 15:28
life_at_1ms wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 16:50
What's the best QD-OLED on the market right now? Hopefully something non-curved...
I predict there will be CES 2023 related announcements so uncertain fans can choose to wait until then, if they want to find out more about the future of OLED in gaming.
I care about text and usage at low brightness (so non-PWM matters)... Is there any OLED that is 27-32", >60hz, and minimally eye-fatiguing properties (no PWN) available yet? Still wonder what fits these requirements best.

Yes IPS is better for text, but how do you weigh that with OLEDs contrast greatness? If reading inverted text, then OLEDs blacks are to die for - so it isn't as simple as "IPS is better for text"!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2023, 22:20

life_at_1ms wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 22:26
I care about text and usage at low brightness (so non-PWM matters)... Is there any OLED that is 27-32", >60hz, and minimally eye-fatiguing properties (no PWN) available yet? Still wonder what fits these requirements best.
For text, running MacType-for-Windows font renderer on an LG OLED looks pretty great. I use my 240Hz Corsair Xeneon Flex (prototype) for text-based work including Visual Studio. It's good for converting between Windows based work (flat monitor) and gaming (curved monitor). I usually configure it to roughly half-curve, as its curve is adjustable.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

life_at_1ms

Post by life_at_1ms » 09 May 2023, 07:09

Cool, well I hope there's an OLED released soon that's 29-32", at least 120hz, non-curved, and minimally eye-fatiguing (no PWN)!

life_at_1ms

Post by life_at_1ms » 21 May 2023, 00:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 May 2023, 22:20
For text, running MacType-for-Windows font renderer on an LG OLED looks pretty great.
I use Linux BTW. Not sure if it is true, but I've read that Linux's Freetype is as good for fonts on OLED by default as MacType or MacType-for-Windows.

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 09 Jul 2023, 19:48

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong > :shock:

120fps = 8.3ms Motion persistence

144fps = 6.9ms Motion persistence

Honestly, the best way to fly at this point strictly in terms of modern gaming and TV's(not computer monitors)
would be a Samsung S95C QD-OLED paired with a PC(using a 4090) and running everything you can at 144fps.
If only i could play Nintendo Switch exclusives on PC, i hate being bottle necked with a vanilla 60fps, since the motion handling with OLED @60fps(Without BFI) is nothing short of terrible. Sure you can the BFI setting for 60fps games, but it's jam packed with 29-30ms(from 10ms) of latency and the same thing applies to it's game mode's motion interpolation setting. Clearly, that's not ideal in most cases, especially for platformers.

At this point, If i could play ANY game on PC @144fps with that TV I'd feel a lot more content, at least for a couple of years. lol

The dream would obviously be 144fps, 1ms motion persistence, 4K motion clarity & 1ms input lag. The question is, when will that ever come to fruition? I mean, I've been told that you can't even use OLED BFI for movies & TV, since it's designed for 50fps-120fps and doesn't work properly for low frame rate content. So then you're stuck with a 16ms persistence @300p motion clarity and with more film judder than a plasma. Yikes.
Last edited by NeonPizza on 11 Aug 2023, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 11 Aug 2023, 01:17

So the new Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Monitor has a 60hz BFI mode but it doesn't look that great

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... sc-s49cg95

This just dropped out of nowhere
Shows that the companies are listening but they aren't putting too much effort on BFI yet

NeonPizza

Post by NeonPizza » 26 Aug 2023, 14:40

Where's NanoLED when you need it? 2025 maybe?

I'm still super annoyed that we still don't have 1ms(or sub 1ms) persistence large sized QD-OLED's...But it makes sense since they don't have loads of brightness to spare for BFI just yet. Still, It's always drove me up the wall that we've had 1ms persistence CRT TV's since the late 80's, 90's and into the 2000's(With Sony's Wega Trinitron CRT series being my personal favorite) and ever since then it's just been two steps forward and one or two big fat steps back.

QD-OLED does so many things amazingly well from it's true blacks, searing brigthness, truer whites, 4K, Obtaining colour(Vs WRGB) that can compete against plasma and possibly then some, HDR(when done properly), 120-144fps, 77" screen sizes available, 5ms of lag at it's lowest(Which is close to CRT) thin bezel and less than half an inch thick for a window-like flush mounting effect etc. But that 16ms vanilla persistence for gaming and movies just doesn't cut it at all in most cases.

It's game mode's Black frame insertion AND motion interpolation triples input lag...Which is a deal breaker, even if it manages to sustain decent SDR brigthenss over WRGB OLED with an 8.3ms persistence. So both options are out. 120-144fps isn't compatible with Nintendo Switch, and XSX & PS5 120fps is slim pickings, although there seems to be 4x the amount with XSX. PC is clearly the way to fly in this case.

The best you can do currently without any compromises(like with game mode bfi and MI) for QD-OLED(S90C and S95C). Is to push 144fps(With a beefy PC, which i currently don't have) and get the persistence down to 6.8ms, if the math is correct. That's pretty decent, for everything other than first person based titles and maybe 3rd person. But still not good enough to make me want to go 77" The motion blur will just be magnified at that size.

Ideally for Nintendo & PC >

77" - (Flush mounted)
Future NanoLED - (With enough gobs of brightness to spare for BFI to obtain CRT-grade motion ,even at 60fps, if possible.)
Native 4K content
1ms(or sub 1ms persistence)
Gaining the 'buttery smoothness' of 120-144fps
*Stereoscopic 3D* (Wishful thinking. Might be a while)

As for movies. Retrotink4K is capable of supporting 4ms BFI @24fps which rivals a plasma's(At it's best) dirty 4ms for movies. lol
Which means, 8.3ms(which removes 50% of motion blur) is the best you can get with the S90C/S95C for movies when using Retrotink4K in tandem. I just wish it were 8.3ms @4K instead of 1080p. Maybe a future Retrotink model will be able to get the job done!

Still need a solution(Forget the soap opera effect/de-judder slider) for a little less film judder and less bfi flicks.