Re: micro-stutter related to eye strain? Re: micro-stutter related to eye strain? [Medical / Eye Twitching / Eye Spasms]

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
LNR69

Re: micro-stutter related to eye strain? Re: micro-stutter related to eye strain? [Medical / Eye Twitching / Eye Spasms]

Post by LNR69 » 10 May 2024, 10:32

I have had an issue for the last few years regarding perceivable micro-stutters when gaming. I have always found that this issue is not present initially however, it occurs after an hour or so of gaming.

I always thought the issue is with my pc (and It could be still), However I have changed my entire PC except my RTX 3070 and the issue still persists. So I am starting to think that maybe this micro-stutter is not actually related to my hardware but instead related to my eyes. Especially since when I benchmark my games the frame time graph looks acceptable. I have also had someone try my Pc and they could not notice anything.

I am a fairly competitive FPS player and I sit close to my monitor, So this could potentially cause my eyes to tire out. If anyone has any similar experiences I would love to hear about it :)

kyube

Re: micro-stutter related to eye strain?

Post by kyube » 11 May 2024, 13:49

List your entire computer specifications and move away to 60-100cm distance from your monitor, please.
You can't expect people to have a crystal ball and help you. The info you've given is too scarce.

LNR69

Post by LNR69 » 13 May 2024, 21:40

kyube wrote:
11 May 2024, 13:49
List your entire computer specifications and move away to 60-100cm distance from your monitor, please.
You can't expect people to have a crystal ball and help you. The info you've given is too scarce.
CPU: 13600KF
RAM: DDR5 6400MHZ CL32
MotherBoard: MSI Z790 TomaHawk
GPU: GIGABYTE 3070 gaming OC
PSU: 1000W corsair RM1000x

Sitting further from the monitor definitely helps with eye strain. However my question was more focused on if others having eye strain get a symptom that resembled the effect of micro-stutter. Again, this could be hardware related however I am unsure.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 May 2024, 13:34

I don't get anything like that. I'm on a 27" monitor and when playing games, my eyes are between 45-50cm (18-20") away from the screen.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kyube

Post by kyube » 14 May 2024, 16:52

LNR69 wrote:
13 May 2024, 21:40
kyube wrote:

Sitting further from the monitor definitely helps with eye strain. However my question was more focused on if others having eye strain get a symptom that resembled the effect of micro-stutter. Again, this could be hardware related however I am unsure.
What SSD, windows version, cooler, cpu settings and entire RAM timings? Do you have any kind of overclock applied?

LNR69

Post by LNR69 » 14 May 2024, 19:06

kyube wrote:
14 May 2024, 16:52
LNR69 wrote:
kyube wrote:

What SSD, windows version, cooler, cpu settings and entire RAM timings? Do you have any kind of overclock applied?
SSD: Samsung 990
Cooler: some 360 cooler master AIO
CPU settings: default
RAM timings: XMP profile that came with corsair ram.
No overclock.

Temps for all components are all good.

LNR69

Post by LNR69 » 14 May 2024, 19:12

RealNC wrote:
14 May 2024, 13:34
I don't get anything like that. I'm on a 27" monitor and when playing games, my eyes are between 45-50cm (18-20") away from the screen.
Yea Look honestly I have developed a really bad habit of sitting close to my screen from competitive gaming. I just measured it, and I sit any where from 18-30cm to my 27 inch screen. even if that is not the cause of the stutter, sitting close makes the micro-stutter significantly more obvious. maybe even a 24inch screen would be better considering how close I like sitting.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 May 2024, 05:28

LNR69 wrote:
14 May 2024, 19:12
Yea Look honestly I have developed a really bad habit of sitting close to my screen from competitive gaming. I just measured it, and I sit any where from 18-30cm to my 27 inch screen. even if that is not the cause of the stutter, sitting close makes the micro-stutter significantly more obvious. maybe even a 24inch screen would be better considering how close I like sitting.
If it's 1440p, you can test 1080p unscaled. The image size should be equivalent to about 20.5" or so :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kyube

Post by kyube » 15 May 2024, 07:39

LNR69 wrote:
14 May 2024, 19:06
kyube wrote:
14 May 2024, 16:52
LNR69 wrote:
kyube wrote:

SSD: Samsung 990
Cooler: some 360 cooler master AIO
CPU settings: default
RAM timings: XMP profile that came with corsair ram.
No overclock.

Temps for all components are all good.
What does "DEFAULT" imply mate? You're still expecting crystal ball service done to your PC when you're giving bread crumbs.
"Temps are good" is purely subjective and can be far devoid from objective reality without an actual value for people to evaluate.
intel CPU's come pre-overclocked from the factoy and XMP can be unstable. You're not helping out by saying "DEFAULT" and "XMP" profile
Not only that, you've not revealed us your peripheral setup and what devices you have plugged in your PC (most importantly, your monitor)
Troubleshooting your issue in this way of communication is a nuisance due to the nature of forums.
Find your help in a latency-related Discord chats, such as Calypto's. Real-time help can be provided much easier in chat-rooms as opposed to forums.

You could have a router next to your PC that causes instability and gives you stutters, that's how fragile PC hardware is when mishandled.
Or as a really wild edge case, you could be suffering from the current solar flare that's 16x the size of Earth's diameter.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2024, 17:54

RealNC wrote:
14 May 2024, 13:34
First things first, let's determine which is which:
- eyestrain caused by microstutter (e.g. microstutter triggering nausea)
- microstutter caused by eyestrain (e.g. sore eye becomes jerky motion)
kyube wrote:
15 May 2024, 07:39
What does "DEFAULT" imply mate? You're still expecting crystal ball service done to your PC when you're giving bread crumbs.
Hang on.
You helped by getting way more than enough breadcrumbs for me to ask the correct question.

The skill art is in counter-asking the correct question, like I am about to do.
Sometimes questions require a Chief Blur Buster rescue...

(Mandatory Skill Modifier Required: +Expert Skill in Display Sherlock Holmes)
LNR69 wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:32
I have had an issue for the last few years regarding perceivable micro-stutters when gaming. I have always found that this issue is not present initially however, it occurs after an hour or so of gaming.

I always thought the issue is with my pc (and It could be still), However I have changed my entire PC except my RTX 3070 and the issue still persists. So I am starting to think that maybe this micro-stutter is not actually related to my hardware but instead related to my eyes. Especially since when I benchmark my games the frame time graph looks acceptable. I have also had someone try my Pc and they could not notice anything.

I am a fairly competitive FPS player and I sit close to my monitor, So this could potentially cause my eyes to tire out. If anyone has any similar experiences I would love to hear about it :)
First -- are you asking this, or asking this:
1. eyestrain caused by microstutter (e.g. microstutter triggering nausea)
2. microstutter caused by eyestrain (e.g. sore eye becomes jerky motion)

If item number 1, there are over 100 ergonomic issues, and microstutter is definitely a trigger for some eyestrain/nauseas/motionsickness in some people. It's not everybody's cause of eyestrain.

Scenario 1
To determine if it's your head (brain) or the microstutter, try temporarily eliminating computer-side microstutters: You can try enabling VRR and using RTSS to cap your framerate well below refresh rate. See if the microstutters disappear, and if your eyestrain disappears too. If eyestrain disappears, then you may have found it. If you still get eyestrain but microstutters disappear, then amplified sensitivity to microstutter is simply a symptom of a different cause of eyestrain, move to scenario number 2.

Scenario 2
If item number 2, then troubleshooting may become more complex and may or may not involve an eye doctor. You should have breaks from the display, and/or use a smaller-FOV (shrink display size, shrink display viewport with a windowbox, etc) to minimize eye movements over long-duration esports play. I've seen people who have vibrating eyeballs (stutter) from involuntary eye-muscle spasming from excessive-duration gaming. So back off and rest a lot, make adjustments, eat better, have more breaks, more exercise, etc.

The type of gaming matters a lot. Does your games involve staring at a crosshair in screen center like snipers (ala Valorant and Counterstrike 2), or requires ultra-rapid eye movements like aiming/shooting while flying/jumping? (ala Rocket League, Rainbow Six arena-style gaming)

Most esports use 24" monitors partially to reduce eye movements which can reduce eyestrain over marathon gaming that isn't immersion-priority but stamina-priority. Learning "stationary gaze at crosshairs, use peripheral vision to identify enemies" is a common esports tactic that reduces eye movements and reduces eyestrain. Smaller displays make peripheral vision easier. However, this may not entirely eliminate eyestrain. And some things requires eye tracking (identifying moving camoflaged objects normally hidden by motion blur).

Also disabling strobe backlight features can be helpful too, as also trying different tech (NanoIPS versus TN versus OLED versus glossy screens versus matte screens), to see if eyestrain is reduced by other factors too as there are often multiple concurrent eyestrain causes too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!