graphic designer dealing with screen induced nausea/dizziess

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: graphic designer dealing with screen induced nausea/dizziess

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2024, 10:38

FYI -- Dell just announced some additional ergonomic models compatible with Thunderbolt / Macs -- this one is five-star rated by TÜV Rheinland, a display rgonomic testing organization. It's worth monitoring displays that have been tested by such organizations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jenue

Post by jenue » 08 Jan 2024, 18:55

Hey,

I've been experiencing HUGE issues with my eyes and migraines/headaches for the 4 past 4 years.

I work full-time as a freelance designer, and I believe this is due to prolonged hours spent on my computer.

I've experimented with various displays without success (LG ULTRAFINE, APPLE, MACBOOK PRO M1...) everything cause my big headaches in basically after 20 minutes working.

My solution was to find a good projector, after buy a few, the best one for me was to purchase a short-throw LED projector from OPTOMA (the newer one with automatic focus). Now, I project onto a wall, which is easier on my eyes.

The colors are satisfactory when calibrated using a 709 rec profile, or with the lg ultrafine profile.

While it's not as sharp as I'd like, I haven't encountered any issues since I began using it.

I believe the root of the problem lies in the brightness, flickering, and blue light emitted directly from the monitor affecting our eyes.

Feel free to send me an email or direct message.

I have a tablet made with RLCD that doesn't hurt my eyes too, but the colours are a bit wash out. But for check websites works well.

Displays are a cancer!!!!! : (

justpaintoverit

Post by justpaintoverit » 10 Jan 2024, 18:34

so you'll likely want to try and avoid turning FRC on.
Is there a way to turn it off on apple computers? Does anyone know if the new apple M2 studio desktop automatically employs FRC? If I get a 10 bit monitor, would the FRC turn off?
- A wipe and reinstall can do massive wonders to an 6-to-8-year Mac. A fresh reinstall of the latest makes a large difference;
I did end up doing this, though it still runs pretty slowly. I have one photoshop file for a project that is large enough that it takes a few minutes to open on the new Mac Studio, so even trying to open it on the old 2016 Mac would either take either 20 minutes or just end up crashing the laptop entirely.
- Surgical upgrades (doubling RAM, upgrading to SSD) from OWC Computing (www.macsales.com). This will help prolong the life of an old Mac until something bridges you over. Understandably, this is only doable to a certain extent.
I thought it wasn't possible to upgrade a Mac computer after purchasing it.
- Just use your old MacBook as a 2nd monitor: Your old MacBook can be an AirPlay destination for a newer MacBook. Apple has excellent AirPlay-based multimonitor support (even if you don't use Stage Manager), so as long as the laptop can be an AirPlay destination (natively or 3rd party software), you can still use your 2016 as an ergonomic screen.
Is it possible to hook a desktop Mac up to a Mac laptop? I haven't been able to find decent answers about that.
Running with external displays may be something you have to consider. Portable monitors are also another option, once you've found 'comfortable' external desktop displays. Prioritize on steering yourself back to comfortable ergonomic waters first.
That's what I'm doing. I gave up completely on the new apple laptop a while ago. The problem is I'm still having dizziness with the external displays hooked up to the apple studio desktop.

The two most recent displays I've tested are the Dell UltraSharp 27 Monitor - U2724D which causes some mild nausea and the old apple thunderbolt 27" monitor which so far is the easiest but does cause a little bit of nausea but it's the most mild so far out of all the displays I've tried.

Is it possible there is something with the apple studio computer itself that is causing this? I don't know if this is a computer issue or a monitor issue. Is it possible for it to be a computer issue? Do I need to see if I can get apple to let me return the Mac Studio? (I'm a couple days past the return window so I don't know if they will allow it)

As I asked earlier in the post, is dithering automatically employed, and if so is there any way to turn it off or is there a type of monitor that wouldn't trigger it?
My solution was to find a good projector, after buy a few, the best one for me was to purchase a short-throw LED projector from OPTOMA (the newer one with automatic focus). Now, I project onto a wall, which is easier on my eyes.
I don't have the blank wall space to do that and my walls are textured. I'm not sure this would be a good solution for me, especially during the day time.
I believe the root of the problem lies in the brightness, flickering, and blue light emitted directly from the monitor affecting our eyes.
I don't believe blue light is the issue as blue light blocking glasses haven't helped, and I never had any issue with blue light on my old computer. I've also tried lowering the brightness, and sever of the monitors I have tried as supposed to be flicker free.

justpaintoverit

Post by justpaintoverit » 10 Jan 2024, 20:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 10:38
FYI -- Dell just announced some additional ergonomic models compatible with Thunderbolt / Macs -- this one is five-star rated by TÜV Rheinland, a display rgonomic testing organization. It's worth monitoring displays that have been tested by such organizations.
That might be the monitor my brother just got. If it's the same one, I know he loves it, but he isn't prone to the same migraine issues I am. My main worry would be that the curve could be a nausea trigger, but I'm not against trying it if you think it'll give us useful information as to what my issue is.

What do you think of the idea of trying a true 10-bit monitor to see if that disables the dithering IF that's something apple has made a default in the M-chip computers (please forgive me if I'm describing how it functions inaccurately!)

https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cg2700s/
https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cs2731/
This explains the difference between the two: https://www.eizocolour.com/spotlight/co ... -cs-or-cg/

Do either of these Eizo monitors look worth trying? If so, is there one you'd say to try over the other? I was thinking of staying with 2k as that's what my eyes are the most used to from my old computer, and the monitor that has been the easiest so far is the old Apple Thunderbolt which is 2k.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 19:24

justpaintoverit wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 18:34
I did end up doing this, though it still runs pretty slowly. I have one photoshop file for a project that is large enough that it takes a few minutes to open on the new Mac Studio, so even trying to open it on the old 2016 Mac would either take either 20 minutes or just end up crashing the laptop entirely.
Any RAM or SSD opportunities? I've seen old Macs take 10x faster to launch Mac Studio when they received a concurrent RAM+SSD upgrade.
justpaintoverit wrote:
- Surgical upgrades (doubling RAM, upgrading to SSD) from OWC Computing (www.macsales.com). This will help prolong the life of an old Mac until something bridges you over. Understandably, this is only doable to a certain extent.
I thought it wasn't possible to upgrade a Mac computer after purchasing it.
Apple doesn't do it but OWC Computing at www.macsales.com do to most older Macs, they pull off miracles.
I was able to upgrade my family's 2015 MacBook and iMac to run 10x faster.

10 second launch -> 2 second launch
5 minute launch -> 30 second launch
Etc.

Your mileage may vary, you may only get 2x improvements, but I got a 10x launch-speed improvement on some things on those old Macs my family didn't want to give up.

Pimp your old baby to 32GB and 1TB SSD if you can. (You must upgrade both to get ~5x-10x multiplier)

Upgrades for 2006-2016 MacBooks: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/ ... ro/Upgrade
Upgrades for 2017-2021 iMac Pro: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/imac-pro-2017
Upgrades for 2006-2020 iMac: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

They even have RAM and SSD upgrades for 20-year-old CRT-tube iMacs too! Yes, the translucent one that came in 5 colors.

No commission, they're un-commissioned links.

OWC is the real deal, TrustPilot gives it 4.7 stars, https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.macsales.com

They even provide video install instructions, and they include the Apple-compatible TORX screwdrivers in every purchase!

Difficulty varies from Mac to Mac. If you have no experience installing a computer upgrade, it can be risky. But if you've installed a new SSD into a PC or Windows laptop, it's usually only slightly more complicated than that. Others, it's an absolute disassembly nightmare for certain models -- they will tell you if it's an easy upgrade or a difficult upgrade. You can also hire help too, if necessary, they also do install service. They will inform you if an upgrade is difficulty rating 5, and that's when they recommend you send in your old Mac for upgrade.

*BUT BACKUP YOUR DATA OR ELSE!!!
/disclaimer for those who forget that warranties still sometimes happen even with >99%+ reliable products

Enjoy.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 19:42

justpaintoverit wrote:
As I asked earlier in the post, is dithering automatically employed, and if so is there any way to turn it off or is there a type of monitor that wouldn't trigger it?
It is usually automatic, yes.

There's some hidden settings that are hard to access, but a user has a batch file for NVIDIA product on Windows:
https://github.com/SLStyler/Dithering-for-Windows-Simple-BAT-
This will help you turn off temporal dithering on a Windows machine containing an NVIDIA card.

I am not prone to eyestrain from FRC/temporal dithering.

I don't know of any equivalent for Apple M1 GPUs.