Batch file to turn off 8->10bit dithering in NVIDIA GPUs on Windows

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Batch file to turn off 8->10bit dithering in NVIDIA GPUs on Windows

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2024, 19:47

Disabling Temporal Dithering on NVIDIA GPUs

There's a relatively new open source project (only 3 months old) to disable temporal dithering on NVIDIA product.

Normally temporal dithering is good. For most people. Temporal dithering is used to emulate 10-bit via 8-bit, where pixels can flicker (shallow flickerdepth) temporally over multiple refresh cycles.

I'm not prone to this eyestrain, but I know some of you are. Some people claim to have eyestrain by FRC/temporal dithering. Be warned, FRC is a common redherring (e.g. usually not the main underlying ergonomic issue), but you can experiment turning on/off to see if your eyestrain appears/disappears.

It's not as bad as DLP, but some people here in this forum -- are particularly super-sensitive to eyestrain from this factor. There may be an interaction involved (e.g. specific LCDs that amplify eyestrain from this), as there's a lot of interplay between LCD inversion flickers and temporal dithering flickers that can create amplified resonance flickers that (a few) may be eyestrained by. Lots of unexpected causes and effects in the industry that are overlooked by small QA testing teams that are unaware of the "1% niche causes of eyestrains"; would not be surprised.

__

github.com/SLStyler/Dithering-for-Windows-Simple-BAT-
DISCLAIMER WARNING - I HAVE NOT VETTED FOR MALWARE - USE AT OWN RISK

MIT license, it's just a batch file. There appears to be a potential bug with it in Windows 10 versus Windows 11, maybe one of you can bugfix it.

In this case, this becomes a useful additional ergonomic tool to the "Over 100 ergonomic problems of pieces of glass called 'screens' that is imperfectly trying to emulate real life"
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MSIfanboy

Re: Batch file to turn off 8->10bit dithering in NVIDIA GPUs on Windows

Post by MSIfanboy » 19 Jan 2024, 06:18

windows 11 23h2 version 22631.3007
Attachments
dith.png
dith.png (36.39 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

MSIfanboy

Post by MSIfanboy » 19 Jan 2024, 06:38

Attachments
tt.png
tt.png (21.78 KiB) Viewed 3555 times

rx7

Post by rx7 » 21 Jan 2024, 01:53

Haven't tried this yet but here's another!
https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorControl

Btw there seems to be hardware baked dithering in some GPUs that cannot be turned off. I have a bunch of GPUs I have to test. Supposedly the quadro rtx 4000 and 5000 are safe once using color control.

dogelition

Post by dogelition » 21 Jan 2024, 09:58

I would recommend using either ColorControl or my own novideo_srgb (also on GitHub), as both use the proper NVIDIA APIs for querying the current dithering settings and configuring it per display. I'm biased towards mine, since the GUI is simpler and it starts up much faster than ColorControl (which has a lot more functionality!), but AFAIK both use the APIs in exactly the same way.

Note: Unless something has changed recently, you cannot properly configure dithering on a GPU output which is using DSC. The setting will only affect the left half of the display, while the right half will retain the default driver behavior (i.e. it will apply dithering in most configurations, excluding 8 bit full range RGB in SDR).

rx7

Post by rx7 » 21 Jan 2024, 14:56

dogelition wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 09:58
I would recommend using either ColorControl or my own novideo_srgb (also on GitHub), as both use the proper NVIDIA APIs for querying the current dithering settings and configuring it per display. I'm biased towards mine, since the GUI is simpler and it starts up much faster than ColorControl (which has a lot more functionality!), but AFAIK both use the APIs in exactly the same way.

Note: Unless something has changed recently, you cannot properly configure dithering on a GPU output which is using DSC. The setting will only affect the left half of the display, while the right half will retain the default driver behavior (i.e. it will apply dithering in most configurations, excluding 8 bit full range RGB in SDR).
I'll check yours out. Thank you!

That's good to know I didn't know that about DSC. Anyway to know if PC/monitor is using DSC. I have a OLED g8 odyssey I'm going to test which uses DSC I think above a certain Hz?

Edit: so full range 8bit SDR won't dither even with DSC? What about a true 10bit display with HDR disabled ?

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 21 Jan 2024, 16:22

rx7 wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 01:53
Haven't tried this yet but here's another!
https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorControl

Btw there seems to be hardware baked dithering in some GPUs that cannot be turned off. I have a bunch of GPUs I have to test. Supposedly the quadro rtx 4000 and 5000 are safe once using color control.
This was awesome, thank you for sharing.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

rx7

Post by rx7 » 22 Jan 2024, 00:44

Not a problem! I haven't tested those Quadro RTX 4000/5000 myself but someone I know has with the dvi2pcie(think that's what it's called?) capture card and didn't see any dithering. I did buy the same capture card so I plan to test my other cards eventually