Any way to make the white color less bright without dimming the overall monitor brightness?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
laredotornado

Any way to make the white color less bright without dimming the overall monitor brightness?

Post by laredotornado » 01 Feb 2024, 13:21

Hi,

I have an Asus (harmon/kardon) 27" EyeCare external monitor connected to my MacBookPro. I was curious if there is a way to reduce the intensity/brightness of the white color without reducing the overall brightness setting of the monitor (which would make everything darker). There are settings for

Blue Light Level
Color Brightness
Color Contrast
Color Temp
Splendid (with options, Scenery Mode, Standard Mode, Theater Mode, Game Mode, Night View Mode, iRGB Mode, Darkroom Mode)
Image Sharpness
Image Trace Tree
Image Aspect Control
Image ASCR
Image Adaptive-Sync

But I can't seem to find a setting/combination of setting that only reduces the white brightness setting.

Thanks, - Dave

r0ach

Re: Any way to make the white color less bright without dimming the overall monitor brightness?

Post by r0ach » 01 Feb 2024, 18:32

laredotornado wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 13:21
But I can't seem to find a setting/combination of setting that only reduces the white brightness setting.
This is typically the purpose of the contrast setting. But on lots of new panel types such as LG Nano IPS, the whites are blinding, overly bright no matter what you do because they started making panel films too thin (which is probably one of the reasons they have enormous eye strain).

rx7

Re: Any way to make the white color less bright without dimming the overall monitor brightness?

Post by rx7 » 02 Feb 2024, 00:33

Is there a year when they started the use of thin films?

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 02 Feb 2024, 10:28

rx7 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:33
Is there a year when they started the use of thin films?
Like I said in another post, it's probably the transition from standard a-SI panels to LTPS. They pushed LTPS for power savings in cell phone displays and now all these plants are pushing these thin film cell phone type panels onto larger 27" monitors. So you have increased eye strain from both thinner films + more abrasive, overly wide gamut backlighting at the same time.

If there's a large market for mindless cellphone zombies, then that causes all the plants to focus on building LTPS screens for these markets. Then they also say "well, these thinner films can produce faster response times so we'll put them on 'gaming' monitors and every other type of monitor we sell too since we retooled our plant to only build panels for cell phone screens." And now nobody can look at any of these screens without getting a headache.