How to break dithering/frc

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Winston56

How to break dithering/frc

Post by Winston56 » 08 May 2024, 04:25

I would like to come back again with my insoluble eye strain problem. I know that traditionally the Chief will (possibly) respond to me with a list of potential causes to identify. Based on my personal experience, I only see one: something software related to dithering/frc (the flicker that it generates).

I admit my lack of technical knowledge but try to give me just one other reason for this problem :
Despite my general intolerance of modern screens, I had zero eye strain with my Windows 7 PC on a CCFL LCD screen.
Unfortunately I recently had to upgrade to Windows 10/11 like everyone else. Since then this screen has become torture for my eyes, without any hardware changes.

My idea is some sort of treatment on the image, probably dithering as put forward by many people suffering from the same illness as me.

So I have a question: is there a technical solution to break this effect created by software or graphics driver?

I have ideas (use a CRT ? activate a Black Frame Insertion on a modern screen ?) but I would prefer to ask your opinion before spending money...

rx7

Re: How to break dithering/frc

Post by rx7 » 10 May 2024, 22:22

So you can try to run ditherig or color control which has temporal Dithering disable options but it doesn't always work. Win7 is the most safe option otherwise win10 build 1507-1511 is also safe. Everything after that Microsoft has added tweaks to DWM and color management that totally wrecks people's eyes/brain. After 1511 it's been a hit or miss for people after that. Windows 10 build 1809 is one past 1511 that seems to be ok with many. Someone on ledstrain.org has captured win10 1809 vs win10 2004 and you can clearly see the pixels dancing around flickering.. DEFINITELY OS induced.

Oddly some GPUs seem to have some form of dithering algorithm baked into them as some have also tested them with a lossless capture card and found dither even while having color settings set to native monitor color depth and with those disable tools. Me personally I'd say try 1507 but if you need something newer than definitely stick to 1809 or Linux BUT with a specific kernal and settings (can be found on ledstrain)

I haven't had time to test all my hardware I plan to test with combination of older win10 build yet but it's on my to do list just hate flare ups they last so long

Also chief is very knowledgeable about screens and possible screen ergonomic issues which addressing COULD help some people BUT the bigger issue is the driver/OS being the issue with dithering. There's actually a ieee article about flicker and how it can cause neurological symptoms.. I mean in my opinion dithering seems FAR worse than pwm and I wouldn't be surprised if people who think they are "pwm sensitive", are really sensitive to Dithering and not the pwm. Unfortunately some displays like in modern laptops are using FRC to dim the display and I think it's being labeled as DC dimming so definitely be cautious of anything DC dimming. I believe it's a PCON chip that controls it? Which I would imagine can be reprogrammed and modified by whoever knows how to turn it off ?

FRC you cannot turn off on your monitor unless you force it's native color depth which even then not sure if it fully turns off..

kyube

Re: How to break dithering/frc

Post by kyube » 11 May 2024, 13:50

Winston56 wrote:
08 May 2024, 04:25
I would like to come back again with my insoluble eye strain problem. I know that traditionally the Chief will (possibly) respond to me with a list of potential causes to identify. Based on my personal experience, I only see one: something software related to dithering/frc (the flicker that it generates).

I admit my lack of technical knowledge but try to give me just one other reason for this problem :
Despite my general intolerance of modern screens, I had zero eye strain with my Windows 7 PC on a CCFL LCD screen.
Unfortunately I recently had to upgrade to Windows 10/11 like everyone else. Since then this screen has become torture for my eyes, without any hardware changes.

My idea is some sort of treatment on the image, probably dithering as put forward by many people suffering from the same illness as me.

So I have a question: is there a technical solution to break this effect created by software or graphics driver?

I have ideas (use a CRT ? activate a Black Frame Insertion on a modern screen ?) but I would prefer to ask your opinion before spending money...
List your PC specifications and monitors which work for you. What GPU drivers are you running on W7 and on later Windows builds?