Not sure where to post this

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
Bluranghi

Not sure where to post this

Post by Bluranghi » 06 Sep 2021, 14:26

Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, I've registered purely because I'm having this weird stuttering/"camera update rate" issue in a Unity Engine game and I feel like I'm going mental trying to explain the problem to the dev and other users. I would like to get to the bottom of whether the issue is on my end or not.

The game is Exo One ("Prologue" demo) and even though I have perfectly locked framerate and frametimes (using in-game v-sync, nvidia v-sync or RTSS's scanline sync + capping the fps to the current refresh rate in RTSS, without cap frametimes are a bit unstable for thats par for the course these days it seems) I get this weird "stutter" when I pan the camera as if the camera is being updated at half-rate compared to the refresh rate, the rest of the viewport appears to be running at 60fps (screen effects particularly looks perfectly smooth and clearly 60fps).

If I output 30hz then everything looks more congruent and if I output 120hz then it also appears to fix the issue but I think thats more just me not noticing the stutter as easily because the difference between 60 and 120 is not nearly as stark as 60 and 30.

Ideally I want someone else to install and boot the game and confirm whether its on my end or its just the game/engine. You can find it here on Steam under this appid:

Please let me know where its best to post a question like this if not here, thanks for reading.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Not sure where to post this

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Sep 2021, 14:58

Bluranghi wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 14:26
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, I've registered purely because I'm having this weird stuttering/"camera update rate" issue in a Unity Engine game and I feel like I'm going mental trying to explain the problem to the dev and other users. I would like to get to the bottom of whether the issue is on my end or not.

The game is Exo One ("Prologue" demo) and even though I have perfectly locked framerate and frametimes (using in-game v-sync, nvidia v-sync or RTSS's scanline sync + capping the fps to the current refresh rate in RTSS, without cap frametimes are a bit unstable for thats par for the course these days it seems) I get this weird "stutter" when I pan the camera as if the camera is being updated at half-rate compared to the refresh rate, the rest of the viewport appears to be running at 60fps (screen effects particularly looks perfectly smooth and clearly 60fps).

If I output 30hz then everything looks more congruent and if I output 120hz then it also appears to fix the issue but I think thats more just me not noticing the stutter as easily because the difference between 60 and 120 is not nearly as stark as 60 and 30.

Ideally I want someone else to install and boot the game and confirm whether its on my end or its just the game/engine. You can find it here on Steam under this appid:

Please let me know where its best to post a question like this if not here, thanks for reading.
There's a well-known Unity programming issue that requires some (reasonably minor) modifications to the code.
A unity engine game called CloudPunk had the same problem until I helped the developer fix the issues.

Please tell the developer of your Prologue demo about this thread:
Unity Developers: Easy G-SYNC & FreeSync Support in only 3 lines of programming code!
forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7158
Once they do these fixes, the stutters will be fixed at refresh rates not divisible by 60. There's way to test this even if the developer only owns a 60Hz non-VRR monitor!

Testing at 100Hz and 144Hz made stutters come back, but stutters disappeared at 60Hz, 120Hz and 240Hz. Most 60Hz monitors also support 50Hz, 70Hz or 75Hz, so switching to one of those refresh rates makes erratic stutters reappear.

The developers of CloudPunk credited me for fixing the Unity stutter issues:
steamcommunity.com/games/746850/announcements/detail/2541668199224753633
Cloudpunk Update wrote:Performance & Smoothness

We're calling this update the Butter Update. Butter?!
Yes, because it was our intention to make everything smooth like butter and remove all remaining micro-stutters happening in either low or high frames per second.

What has changed:
  • Futureproofed the game to all display technologies (high-Hz, G-SYNC, FreeSync, odd-Hz)
  • Better experience for VRR (variable refresh rate), FreeSync, G-SYNC, and high-Hz
  • Better experience for monitors with refresh rates not divisible by 60 (e.g. 75Hz, 144Hz)
  • Far less stuttering/jittering while walking
  • The game behaves better with fluctuating framerates, and framerates not divisible by 60, even on 60Hz monitors.
  • More consistent mousefeel experience, no more "lagfeel yo-yo" effect from the sync issues
In the announcement, the developer has credited my assistance:
Cloudpunk Update wrote:We would also like to thank community member Mark Rejhon of Blur Busters for his assistance and comprehensive testing of the stuttering issues.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bluranghi

Post by Bluranghi » 07 Sep 2021, 20:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 14:58
Bluranghi wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 14:26
Hello,

There's a well-known Unity programming issue that requires some (reasonably minor) modifications to the code.
A unity engine game called CloudPunk had the same problem until I helped the developer fix the issues.

Please tell the developer of your Prologue demo about this thread:
Unity Developers: Easy G-SYNC & FreeSync Support in only 3 lines of programming code!
forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7158
Once they do these fixes, the stutters will be fixed at refresh rates not divisible by 60. There's way to test this even if the developer only owns a 60Hz non-VRR monitor!

Testing at 100Hz and 144Hz made stutters come back, but stutters disappeared at 60Hz, 120Hz and 240Hz. Most 60Hz monitors also support 50Hz, 70Hz or 75Hz, so switching to one of those refresh rates makes erratic stutters reappear.

The developers of CloudPunk credited me for fixing the Unity stutter issues:
steamcommunity.com/games/746850/announcements/detail/2541668199224753633
Cloudpunk Update wrote:Performance & Smoothness

We're calling this update the Butter Update. Butter?!
Yes, because it was our intention to make everything smooth like butter and remove all remaining micro-stutters happening in either low or high frames per second.

What has changed:
  • Futureproofed the game to all display technologies (high-Hz, G-SYNC, FreeSync, odd-Hz)
  • Better experience for VRR (variable refresh rate), FreeSync, G-SYNC, and high-Hz
  • Better experience for monitors with refresh rates not divisible by 60 (e.g. 75Hz, 144Hz)
  • Far less stuttering/jittering while walking
  • The game behaves better with fluctuating framerates, and framerates not divisible by 60, even on 60Hz monitors.
  • More consistent mousefeel experience, no more "lagfeel yo-yo" effect from the sync issues
In the announcement, the developer has credited my assistance:
Cloudpunk Update wrote:We would also like to thank community member Mark Rejhon of Blur Busters for his assistance and comprehensive testing of the stuttering issues.
Awesome, thanks so much for replying. I sent the dev an offscreen video of it happening but it was too hard for him to see unfortunately. Maybe this will help clear it up, but might be difficult if he doesnt see the issue on his end already.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Sep 2021, 15:26

Bluranghi wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 20:21
Awesome, thanks so much for replying. I sent the dev an offscreen video of it happening but it was too hard for him to see unfortunately. Maybe this will help clear it up, but might be difficult if he doesnt see the issue on his end already.
Let me reiterate an easier way for developers to test.

It's easy to test. Just switch a DELL 60Hz monitor to 50Hz. Most 60Hz monitors also support 50Hz, and it's a great way to reproduce stutter issues.

MORAL: Fixing 50Hz stutter also usually fixes 144Hz stutter
Good for developers who only own 60Hz monitors

So it's a low-budget way of testing for stutters...
...if the developer does not own a high-Hz monitor!

Do not miss the forest for the trees, don't use harder-to-troubleshoot methods such as video.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!