### FORUM UPGRADED ### -- Comments?

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
TwentyFoe

Re: ### FORUM UPGRADED ### -- Comments?

Post by TwentyFoe » 09 Dec 2019, 17:06

I wish there were some good notifications when you get quoted/mentioned or receive a new reply in your own thread. I feel like it would considerably improve the UX!

Also, you should make the forums more apparent and available through the main BlurBusters.com page, Chief!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of now, the only way the user can even tell there are forums at all, is through here, and even then, they're being directed to a specific sub-forum and not the main board. Unless they scroll all the way down to find this tiny button at the bottom left corner.

I feel like changing that would do wonders.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Dec 2019, 17:29

Falkentyne wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 16:55
I'm happy with it. Thank you, Chief !
You're welcome!
TwentyFoe wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 17:06
I feel like changing that would do wonders.
Appreciate your feedback, and yes you're right there is a Forums visibility issue.

Better Forums visibility is something we're looking into, now that we're going to work on the unified login system (one registration for forums & comments sections).

If you scroll to the bottom on the Desktop (wide window), there's a Forum advertisement, but not everyone scrolls to the bottom of webpages.

I'm considering renaming the button to "Forums", and putting a sidebar image on the right hand sidebar. There are other ideas Blur Busters is still brainstorming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 09 Dec 2019, 23:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 17:29
I'm considering renaming the button to "Forums", and putting a sidebar image on the right hand sidebar.
Yup, that's what I had in mind - renaming the dropdown menu button from Discuss to Forums and have it redirect to the board index. People are capable of picking their own sub-forum, be it G-SYNC discussion, Lightboost or what not. The sub-forums that are currently available from the dropdown have good visibility at the main page so there's really no reason to force a tunnel vision.

What about the notifications, though? You haven't touched up on that O:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Dec 2019, 23:20

TwentyFoe wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 23:05
What about the notifications, though? You haven't touched up on that O:
Try seeing if your missing notification is at User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Notification Options
Enable the Email checkboxes!

notifications.png
notifications.png (44.19 KiB) Viewed 22975 times

If that's not what you want and need something better -- For Phase 2, I need to research what notification systems I am able to get along with the registration unification (forums / comments). I'm bound by the software limitations (and time / money available) to customize Wordpress and phpBB -- with in-house custom-made theme.

If you are familiar with phpbb and well-trusted notification extensions, I'm all ears for additional trusted, widely used phpBB extensions to research as part of Phase 2 upgrades.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Dec 2019, 09:51

Uhm, when someone quotes me, I get notified in the upper-right of the forum (the bell icon labeled "Notifications".)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2019, 13:56

RealNC wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 09:51
Uhm, when someone quotes me, I get notified in the upper-right of the forum (the bell icon labeled "Notifications".)
Yes, it's a nice feature. I think the desire was an email notification. Some email notification settings may be turned off by default, so you have to manually turn on the email checkboxes in the right-hand column on in the above screenshot.

@TwentyFoe, are there any missing notification behaviours you need? I'd like to understand better the missing-piece-of-puzzles since the current notifications seems to be working much better for myself.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Jan 2020, 20:31

Any way to change text font ? only text of posts, like the one i'm writing here.

Very good forum config ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2020, 15:08

AddictFPS wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 20:31
Any way to change text font ? only text of posts, like the one i'm writing here.

Very good forum config ;)
I am curious -- is it the forum font, or the font size?

Since our upgrade, our forum is now responsive / adaptive so it is very Zoom friendly -- you can use browser zoom and the font sizes will be bigger while automatically reformatting layout to your screen size or window size.

However, I'm collecting suggestions for Upgrade Phase 2 (2020) as well as Phase 3 (2021). Priority is the other Phase 2 upgrades first.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 19 Jan 2020, 15:32

I'm interested in changing font type, when i read to much time, if use a font that like me, i have less eye strain. Would be amazing at control panel, a list with the "open source/free to use" fonts availables.

https://opensource.com/life/16/2/top-so ... urce-fonts

Regards.

hleV

Post by hleV » 19 Jan 2020, 17:27

You should be able to achieve it with an addon for whatever browser you're using.
BenQ XL2546K @ 240Hz (DyAC+) • ROCCAT Kone Pro Air @ 1000Hz • HyperX Alloy Origins • CORSAIR MM350 PRO Premium • HyperX Cloud Revolver • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 @ 2130MHz/8000MHz • Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz • G.SKILL RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15