>>> LIVE: Installed Forum Ads <<<

Forum registration problems? Need help with creating a post? Want to send suggestions of improvements to Blur Busters Forums? Tell us here!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 05:41

Hello all,

New Forum Advertisement Banners Becoming Activated

As seen in VOTE: Ideas to Help Blur Busters, forum advertisements was one of the popular votes, along with Patreon and other ideas. Blur Busters is now putting some of these ideas into action.

To help cover the expenses of operating Blur Busters, Blur Busters is gradually activating banner advertisements on the Forums this week. You will see layout changes.

In this era of COVID-19 and other costs -- which hurts Blur Busters -- Fortunately everyone is safe and everybody is teleworking.

Blur Busters need additional advertising to help as a source of revenues to cover additional costs, since Blur Busters is far more than just a website, and need to cover research & development costs too. Including things like my inventions (many free) as well as services. We've got many more projects becoming incubated.

For those who dislike ads, you can use an ad blocker (I reluctantly permit this, I understand) or watch for our upcoming 100% Optional Patreon (donate money to disable our advertisements). I'd prefer it if you support Blur Busters, though! The Patreon is not yet ready as it requires custom website changes to be integrated -- however, it will provided as an option for users who desire to disable advertisements.

Just bear in mind there are mouths to feed, rents/mortgages to pay for, and other costs -- Blur Busters is a full time job that has multiple contractors working for me now. After all, Blur Busters is a labour of love and passion, but needs to also survive too!

So -- if you see bugs with advertisements (e.g. they overlap things and can't be dismissed), then please let me know in this forums. Also, if you see a problematic advertisement that should not be there, send me a PM immediately. Problematic ads will be zapped unceremoniously with photon missiles from the Blur Busters UFO turrets.

Please Send Me PMs On Ad Bugs
or email squad [at] blurbusters.com
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2020, 02:57

Ads are going live later in the day April 3rd, 2020

-- Tall ads on left and right (seen mainly in big wide browser windows on desktop)
-- Ad at top of page
-- Ad at bottom of page
-- Ad on mobile devices only: Dismissable sticky ad (hit "X")

I specifically asked for no sticky ads on desktop browsers. Hate sticky ads. (I made one exception for mobile devices, because it's hard to find space for ads on mobile devices).

Smaller desktop windows will avoid loading the big skyscraper ads on the left/right
Also, the ads on the left/right will automatically hide (and not load) if your browser window is narrower. So those big side ads won't be uselessly displayed with smaller browser windows on Windows desktop. You have the flexibility to resize the window to stop these sidebar ads from loading -- and maximize window to let the ads load. So it'll be merrily just as if these particular ads never existed.

Patreon System To Disable Ads Is Coming Later This Year
For forum members who prefer to support Blur Busters instead of using an ad blocker, there will be an optional Patreon option coming later this year. Before that can happen, I need to create a unified account system across Blur Busters main website + forum website (so you don't have to register twice for Blur Busters main website / for Forums). Once that's done, it can then thus be better linked to a Patreon system to disable ads Blur Busters-wide for paid Patreon subscribers.

Ad blockers are okay ...if you want
And well, if you hate ads but don't want to use Patreon, just use an ad blocker or enable that FireFox shield icon (I rather you not, but hey, I'm not stopping y'all.) And of course, if you want to support the ads, you can choose to elect to disable the FireFox Enhanced Tracking Protection specifically for blurbusters.com and forums.blurbusters.com -- FireFox has a built-in partial adblocker via its Enhanced Tracking Protection feature which you can turn on/off for specific websites. Most websites such as ArsTechnica, TomsHardware, CNet, and all, will have reduced ads (and/or less-relevant ads) with that feature, and we're not immune to ad blockers either.

As always, please send me a PM or email me about any bugs/issues related to the ads.

Appreciated!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: >>> LIVE: Installed Forum Ads <<<

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2020, 22:47

Advertisements are undergoing live adjustments

Tweaking on the known ad bugs and improving performance. Give them a few days to stabilize.

Any advertisement bugs or issues, please send me a PM. Appreciated!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 16 Apr 2020, 08:23

Disabled uBlock!
An ad on both sides and the bottom of the page is not a huge price to pay to support my favourite forum!
Just don't put then in between posts or something, that would be annoying. :D
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2020, 22:21

Appreciated,

Thanks to for specifically electing to disable ad blocker on blurbusters.com and forums.blurbusters.com!

If you see any major ad glitches, let me know by PM. Fixed a few issues recently.

xbusterbr

Post by xbusterbr » 06 May 2020, 22:26

Absolutely not a problem, Chief. You guys are unique and unveal what manufacturers should have unvealed for us. A chance to say congrats by the way. Keep it up!