Vsync vs FPS Cap or Both?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Litzner

Vsync vs FPS Cap or Both?

Post by Litzner » 25 Apr 2018, 14:52

I am running a 144hz monitor at 120hz with LightBoost, there is no Gsync or FreeSync capability in this monitor. I am looking to get optimal FPS response time\input lag a long with my blur reduction. Right now I am not using vSync or a FPS cap, should I be using one or both? If I should be limiting fps should I be doing that at 120? 118?

I also have a 60hz gaming setup, what is the optimal vsync fps cap for that old setup?

KindOldRaven

Re: Vsync vs FPS Cap or Both?

Post by KindOldRaven » 25 Apr 2018, 15:04

Vsync would result in the best motion blur reduction effect with lightboost probably... but induces input lag. Second best option is probably going for a stable fps cap at your refresh rate. The other option is trying to use 280/300fps cap in games like CSGO if you can hit them... But usually fps=hz=strobing is your most 'clean' option from what I've read here and tested myself.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Apr 2018, 16:16

Don't frame cap if you don't use vsync. The higher your FPS, the better motion quality you'll get. If tearing and micro-stutter are an issue for you however, then you need vsync, but for the least amount of input lag when using vsync, frame capping is a must. See:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

and:

https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2018, 22:55

Yes, the cleanest smoothest strobed motion occurs at framerate = refreshrate = stroberate.

The Low-Lag VSYNC ON howto is very useful in reducing strobe lag since the VSYNC ON methods really help smooth strobing, but we know there's input lag for VSYNC ON.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 26 Apr 2018, 00:29

I was reading the low lag vsync article and that turned me on to fast sync. But I found it interesting that fast sync typically recommends a frame rate 2-5x the refresh rate, but the low lag way says to almost sync the refresh and fps, which from what I have read would get you higher input lag.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 26 Apr 2018, 07:42

I just wanted to mention, I have been doing a lot of research on this site and I wanted to thank you guys for all the time and effort put in it. There is such a wealth of tweaking information here.

I did end up setting up Lightboost+Fast Sync+RTTS fps limit, and I am getting a very smooth experience now, I don't notice any additional input lag, but I don't have the tools to measure it of course. I was curious, right now the game I am playing is very CPU intensive on my machine, specifically at a few locations at a few maps. If my FPS sometimes drops down to the 100-110 range, but is usually locked at 120, would that be a problem with the "Lightboost+Fast Sync+RTTS fps limit" setup?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Apr 2018, 08:08

If it works for you, then it's fine. You get more microstutter with fastsync, but if it doesn't bother you, then who cares.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 26 Apr 2018, 09:29

RealNC wrote:If it works for you, then it's fine. You get more microstutter with fastsync, but if it doesn't bother you, then who cares.
Do you know the rough input lag difference between Lightboost+FastSync+RTTS FPS Cap vs Lightboost+VSync+RTTS FPS Cap?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 26 Apr 2018, 11:03

It should be roughly the same overall input lag between the two, but each may feel a little different due to the slight differences in frame delivery.

Try both, and pick which feels best.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2018, 11:52

Similar behavior. Stutter differences will be the main difference.

Ideally we need a future RTSS that dynamically changes the cap automatically to prevent framebuffer backpressure. Achieve perfect 60fps @ 60Hz VSYNC ON with one less frame latency. But we can't do that with RTSS, so we need a fractional difference to keep the backpressure off.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!