ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9005
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Dec 2020, 03:14

nuninho1980 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 12:12
Can ASUS ROG SWIFT 360Hz PG259QN work 50Hz and 60Hz single strobe (but "hack" needed)?
Just tested to find out. The answer is yes.

ASUS PG259QN Supports Single Strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

I just tested now. PG259QN 360Hz still supports the Custom ULMB Hack.

50 Hz single strobe -- works, I tested these timings on my PG259QN via NVIDIA Control Panel:

The problem is it's extremely hard for newbies to calculate (multiple steps) and extremely hard to do in ToastyX (timings didn't save properly), but here are instructions.
1. I used the method found in the old FAQ ULMB 60 Hz Hack, then I screenshotted the ToastyX numbers.
2. Then I recreated it directly via NVIDIA Control Panel (Manual method)....and it worked!

You have to use the exact Pixel Clock of a working ULMB refresh rate and keep increasing Vertical Total (to increase the Pixel Clock and lower ULMB refresh rate) until you successfully get the low-Hz ULMB. Don't edit the refresh rate, you have to keep increasing Vertical Total until you reach your target refresh rate. You need to achieve as close as possible to exactly 346.4240 MHz pixel clock (via ULMB 144Hz timings) with any sub-144Hz ULMB refresh rates, and you need to achieve exactly 597.7800 MHz pixel clock (via ULMB 240Hz timings) with any sub-240Hz ULMB refresh rates.

50Hz Single Strobe Timings for ASUS PG259QN (derived from 144Hz ULMB)

NVIDIA Control Panel
Image

60Hz Single Strobe Timings for ASUS PG259QN (derived from 144Hz ULMB)

NVIDIA Control Panel
Image

I did not test the 50Hz & 60Hz single strobe timings derived from 240Hz ULMB at this time, but theoretically those should work too.

If you wish to purchase the PG259QN via Blur Busters amazon affiliate to thank me for doing this test for you:
ASUS PG259QN from one of USA Amazon Sellers
ASUS PG259QN from Amazon USA
ASUS PG259QN from Amazon UK
(Disclosure: Purchase via Blur Busters Amazon Affiliate links will send a few % commission to Blur Busters)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

elexor
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by elexor » 17 Dec 2020, 06:43

curious do crazy high VT's work on that monitor? 6000+ that would allow it to use it's full scanout speed and maximize pixel settling time.

elexor
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by elexor » 17 Dec 2020, 08:04

Also please post some pursuit photo's of that beast single strobing I wanna see how a fast ips matches up to my tn.

User avatar
AddictFPS
Posts: 309
Joined: 15 Jan 2020, 14:13

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Dec 2020, 08:14

elexor wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 06:43
to use it's full scanout speed
+1 Hope Chief can discover ways to take 360Hz scanout speed and tweak strobe phase. Would be a next gen strobing monitor.

Chief, you can talk a bit about motion quality in these 50/60Hz freqs with this "144Hz scanout" VT tweak ? similar crosstalk/brightness ratio of BenQ XL2411P ?

Thanks You !

Alpha
Posts: 120
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Alpha » 02 Mar 2021, 00:42

What’s the benefit? Sorry, first I’ve seen this. I’ve been wanting to see BFI for 360hz or heck even entry into the service menu.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9005
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2021, 16:12

Alpha wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 00:42
What’s the benefit? Sorry, first I’ve seen this. I’ve been wanting to see BFI for 360hz or heck even entry into the service menu.
Mainly for 60 years of legacy 60fps 60Hz material.
- Videos
- Emulators
- Retro games
- Console ports

If you don't need to support CRT-motion-clarity 50 Hz or 60 Hz, this thread isn't usually of interest to you.

Also 360 Hz strobing isn't going to be as good quality, since for LCDs specifically, you need refresh rate headroom for high quality strobing. With the triple match (frame rate = refresh rate = strobe rate) consideration for strobe quality, it's easier to get this at lower refresh rates at the moment.

So you either want to reduce motion blur strobelessly by going as high framerate as possible (360fps 360Hz without BFI/strobing)
OR milk the proper use of strobing-quality improvements (including counterintuitive moves such as slightly lowering refresh rates to get clearer strobed motion).

The most common sweet spot is ~120Hz for strobing, though 360 Hz panels at current GtG response can (in theory) do a good job of 180-240Hz strobing, assuming you can get the triple match for motion nirvana (strobe rate = refresh rate = frame rate).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Rogex47
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jan 2021, 11:24

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Rogex47 » 04 Apr 2021, 08:29

Would be nice if we could combine 2160p resolution with 60hz single strobe.
Did anyone try it and was successfull? I have tried nvidia control panel and toasty, but cant get an output if I set resolution to 2160p.
Atm I use Nvidia's DSR to get 2160p internal resolution but I can't hold 144hz for ULMB.

nuninho1980
Posts: 111
Joined: 26 Dec 2013, 09:49

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by nuninho1980 » 05 Apr 2021, 06:17

Rogex47 wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 08:29
Would be nice if we could combine 2160p resolution with 60hz single strobe.
Did anyone try it and was successfull? I have tried nvidia control panel and toasty, but cant get an output if I set resolution to 2160p.
Atm I use Nvidia's DSR to get 2160p internal resolution but I can't hold 144hz for ULMB.
If your monitor hasn't native 4k, you should enable antialiasing or DLSS (DLSS support requires GeForce RTX 20x0 or newer except GTX 16x0).
PC specs:
CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 2x8GB [email protected]
MB: ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDDs: SATA both 1TB+3TB
SSD: OCZ RD400 512GB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT monitor 19" Samtron 95p+

Rogex47
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Jan 2021, 11:24

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Rogex47 » 06 Apr 2021, 10:54

nuninho1980 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 06:17
Rogex47 wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 08:29
Would be nice if we could combine 2160p resolution with 60hz single strobe.
Did anyone try it and was successfull? I have tried nvidia control panel and toasty, but cant get an output if I set resolution to 2160p.
Atm I use Nvidia's DSR to get 2160p internal resolution but I can't hold 144hz for ULMB.
If your monitor hasn't native 4k, you should enable antialiasing or DLSS (DLSS support requires GeForce RTX 20x0 or newer except GTX 16x0).
DLSS upscales lower resolution to the "nativ" resolution of the monitor. If I can only display 1080p, DLSS in Quality Mode will upscale 720p to 1080p. So this doesn't help me. What I do is to run 4x DSR (4K) + DLSS, but then I can only use ULMB at 144hz or 240hz. Ideally would be to get 4K output + DLSS + 60hz ULMB.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9005
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: ASUS PG259QN hack for single-strobe ULMB 50 Hz and ULMB 60 Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2021, 20:29

Rogex47 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 10:54
nuninho1980 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 06:17
Rogex47 wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 08:29
Would be nice if we could combine 2160p resolution with 60hz single strobe.
Did anyone try it and was successfull? I have tried nvidia control panel and toasty, but cant get an output if I set resolution to 2160p.
Atm I use Nvidia's DSR to get 2160p internal resolution but I can't hold 144hz for ULMB.
If your monitor hasn't native 4k, you should enable antialiasing or DLSS (DLSS support requires GeForce RTX 20x0 or newer except GTX 16x0).
DLSS upscales lower resolution to the "nativ" resolution of the monitor. If I can only display 1080p, DLSS in Quality Mode will upscale 720p to 1080p. So this doesn't help me. What I do is to run 4x DSR (4K) + DLSS, but then I can only use ULMB at 144hz or 240hz. Ideally would be to get 4K output + DLSS + 60hz ULMB.
To do this needs both ToastyX and NVIDIA Control Panel.

Create the native 1920x1080 mode in ToastyX with the necessary hack to unlock 60 Hz single strobe.

Next, in NVIDIA Control Panel, create a GPU-scaled 4K resolution that uses the custom 1920x1080 60Hz mode.

If this does not work, try to delete all existing 59-61Hz mode for 1920x1080 so that NVIDIA Control Panel has to derive the GPU-scaled mode from the only custom ToastyX CRU 60Hz strobe hack.

This may not 100% work if the NVIDIA ULMB's DRM has a bug and ends up failing (the same thing that prevents ULMB on AMD cards), but you'll need to use both CRU's (create the native mode in ToastyX, THEN create the scaled mode in NVIDIA Control Panel)

Use ToastyX reset-all.exe to restore deleted modes and undo all installation of hacked modes.

Be careful... ToastyX CRU modifies your registry with its EDID override information; do so at your risk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Post Reply