Need help: 60hz strobing IPS monitor, does it exist?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
DeFierro

Need help: 60hz strobing IPS monitor, does it exist?

Post by DeFierro » 01 Aug 2021, 14:01

I'm currently using a Benq XL2720Z with 60hz strobing for my arcade machine. Retrogaming works flawlessly (as the combination between 60hz strobing and Retroarch CRT shaders is perfect), the crosstalk is pretty bearable, the flickering is unnoticeable with proper setup, but it has the downside that having a TN panel, the portrait mode has a bad viewing angle when someone sits on the left side (player 1).

I'm seeing that many new monitors don't have a 60hz strobing option and they start doing it at higher refresh rates. So, what I'm needing is a similar monitor, hopefully IPS so I don't have viewing angle problem in vertical mode anymore. The new EVE Spectrum monitors seem to cover everything, but I guess we'll see them next year (and I live in South America so I expect to pay 2x the price just for shipping).

Does a monitor like this even exist? what would you recommend? the use is 100% 60hz retrogaming and portrait mode is needed for vertical arcade games.

Thank you :!:

DeFierro

Re: Need help: 60hz strobing IPS monitor, does it exist?

Post by DeFierro » 01 Aug 2021, 18:20

Falkentyne wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:17
Yes,
That's amazing! thank you for the quick answer, I bought the XL2720z precisely for a review you wrote years ago. Only the 24 inch model has it? what about the other 27 and 32 inch models like XG2705, XG2705-2K, XG270Q?

Also, I've read that crosstalk may be worse with IPS in comparison with TN, do you know if that's true?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Aug 2021, 20:34

DeFierro wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:20
That's amazing! thank you for the quick answer, I bought the XL2720z precisely for a review you wrote years ago. Only the 24 inch model has it? what about the other 27 and 32 inch models like XG2705, XG2705-2K, XG270Q?

Also, I've read that crosstalk may be worse with IPS in comparison with TN, do you know if that's true?
Not anymore,
Modern Fast IPS no longer has more strobe crosstalk (on average) than TN

As long as it's a well tuned 2020-and-newer 240 Hz IPS panel. 2020-era Fast IPS panels are extremely similar in speed to TN nowadays.

Don't forget the refresh rate headroom trick. No matter what panel tech, 120Hz strobing on a 240Hz panel has less crosstalk than 120Hz strobing on a 144Hz panel. This is what pulls ViewSonic XG2431 far ahead of 144Hz-only panels, despite TN-vs-FastIPS being similar.

Also check out ViewSonic Strobe Utility for XG2431.

The strobe tuning HOWTO instructions are now easier too, check out the page! The fact you have the Utility, ensures you are able to DIY tune your XG2431 to better-than-factory. After full tuning with all the tips in that page, ViewSonic XG2431 has much less strobe crosstalk than any 144Hz TN I have ever seen. Even LightBoost panels, which were famed for their low strobe crosstalk (when using a 120 Hz Large Vertical Total mode + doing Strobe Utility tuning).

TL;DR: ViewSonic XG2431 (240Hz IPS) has less strobe crosstalk than 144Hz TN panels, when comparing same refresh rate versus same refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Aug 2021, 20:35

DeFierro wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:20
Falkentyne wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:17
Yes,

Currently, the only viewsonic model that supports the 60hz mode you want is the XG2431, supports 60hz single strobe like the Benq XL2720z did. And you should get way better colors out of it too. Keep in mind I do NOT have the XG2431 because I can't afford any purchases right now. The only other monitor that does is the Eve Spectrum 4k 144hz, but I know nothing about this monitor nor its 60hz strobe quality (Optimum tech on youtube said he saw double images at 144hz) and I heard some bad things about Eve from their failed kickstarter projects.

DeFierro

Post by DeFierro » 01 Aug 2021, 21:04

These are such great news for retrogaming enthusiasts. I hope they release a 27" inch version of the XG2431. Anyway, it's good to have it as an option, the IPS screen should make more of a difference versus losing 3 inches.

Is this Retro Friendly single Strobe (60 Hz) a must for new monitors to get the "Blur Busters Approved 2.0"? if so, I'm looking forward to check the upcoming models. It's so weird no one else did the single strobe at low refresh rates after Benq old models, never had a single flickering problem.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2021, 01:55

DeFierro wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:04
Is this Retro Friendly single Strobe (60 Hz) a must for new monitors to get the "Blur Busters Approved 2.0"?
Yes.

Retro-friendly strobing is a mandatory requirement of Blur Busters Approved 2.0
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2021, 02:00

DeFierro wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:04
These are such great news for retrogaming enthusiasts. I hope they release a 27" inch version of the XG2431.
If 27" is what you are looking for, there's the Eve Spectrum 4K144 which I also strobe tuned.

Be noted that there are additional Strobe Utility supported 60 Hz single strobers that are not Blur Busters Approved due other criteria not passing (e.g. ghosting from red KSF phosphor -- see www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor -- but it is less visible ghosting than a plasma display, and it is wide color gamut. And does support retro-friendly strobing too!

eve.community/t/download-blur-busters-strobe-utility-for-eve-spectrum-monitors/29649

All newer Strobe Utilities (Eve Strobe Utility, ViewSonic Strobe Utility) have access to additional settings such as Overdrive Gain, and system tray operation.

Also check this out:
EVE 4K144 Spectrum is a fantastic Arcade Cabinet Panel with Near-CRT Motion

So two retro-friendly panels are already available for purchase today.
- ViewSonic XG2431
- Eve Spectrum 4K144

If you do buy the Spectrum, be noted that you're purchasing monitor with a crowdsourced development cycle and you should choose fast air shipping (despite its high cost), as per Blur Busters recommendation. If you want a NanoIPS with the least KSF ghosting, that's the one to get. The XG2431 will have even less ghosting (no KSF phosphor), but if 27 inch, 4K for MAME HLSL, 144Hz capability, 60Hz single-strobe, and >130% wide-gamut color strobing is what you want, there's currently nothing else on the market that meets the retro-friendly strobing criteria unless you want to go television-sized (e.g. LG OLEDs). Choose your pros/cons.

DeFierro

Post by DeFierro » 02 Aug 2021, 05:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 02:00
So two retro-friendly panels are already available for purchase today.
- ViewSonic XG2431
- Eve Spectrum 4K144

If you do buy the Spectrum, be noted that you're purchasing monitor with a crowdsourced development cycle and you should choose fast air shipping (despite its high cost), as per Blur Busters recommendation.

If you want a NanoIPS with the least KSF ghosting, that's the one to get. The XG2431 will have even less ghosting (no KSF phosphor), but if 27 inch, 4K for MAME HLSL, 144Hz capability, 60Hz single-strobe, and >130% wide-gamut color strobing is what you want, there's currently nothing else on the market that meets the retro-friendly strobing criteria unless you want to go television-sized (e.g. LG OLEDs). Choose your pros/cons.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response, I'm actually considering purchasing the Spectrum 4K144 despite its price, as I'm needing a new monitor for my home office anyway, and I could use the old Benq for that purpose. My main concern is that I'm reading some issues with people not getting refunds after cancelling preorders, and that the company is new to monitors, so paying 1300 USD for a product with an after sales service I don't know isn't an easy decision.

With "unless" you mean that it's possible to have 60hz single strobe with OLED TVs by using Motion Pro, right? if a TV has OLED Motion Pro it automatically means it does 60hz single strobe? does it add input lag as most visual enhancements do? sounds interesting.

It's complicated to use a TV for an arcade, though, my new problem then would be to rotate it, haha. I'm also not sure how a 42+ inch screen could affect eye-strain with a 60hz single strobe, specially at close distances. Although, it seems like a great idea for couch gaming. Ty again.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2021, 15:53

DeFierro wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:10
With "unless" you mean that it's possible to have 60hz single strobe with OLED TVs by using Motion Pro, right? if a TV has OLED Motion Pro it automatically means it does 60hz single strobe? does it add input lag as most visual enhancements do? sounds interesting.
Correct. All the newer LG-branded OLED TVs have 60 Hz single-strobe when setting its Motion Pro to highest setting. It will reduce brightness a lot more than an LCD though.

OLED is already more laggy than LCD, and the LG BFI algorithm does add a bit more input lag than strobe backlight algorithms. So if competitive strobing is your preference, you'll prefer the ViewSonic XG2431 or Spectrum 4K144.

As you know I help all companies that hire my services for strobe improvements. Again, if you do decide to go Eve, always try to choose air shipping despite the $100-$200 extra cost since the tracking number and shipping insurance is superior, it jumps the slow boat queue used for regular shipping. You will have to choose a purchase route that you are most comfortable with risk-wise; that is a personal decision of yours.

I can say the quality of both 60Hz single strobers are both fantastic for retro arcade use. Both are best I've ever seen for "retro use" cases. Both will do great to generate arcadefeel. If you do put either in an enclosed MAME cabinet, make sure to put a cooling fan at the rear of the cabinet as high performance monitors generate a lot of heat.