XG2431 Large Vertical Total 144 hz question

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
PYRUSWON

XG2431 Large Vertical Total 144 hz question

Post by PYRUSWON » 03 Dec 2021, 17:39

Hi Blur Busters forum, it's nice to visit again.

I just bought and received my Viewsonic Xg2431 and am currently looking to make it have as little crosstalk/motionblur as possible at 144HZ.

I've been reading about large vertical totals aswell as read the entire xg2431 article posted here but the main issue I'm running into is where to start with the vertical totals, as in, I don't know what numbers to even input and what would/wouldn't make sense, even if I have a rough grasp on how it works and what it does.

Has anybody messed around with large vertical totals for the xg2431 at 144hz? And does anyone have any advice for a noob? I've followed this forum for a while and read a lot on here but still have a hard time understanding some of it haha.

PYRUSWON

Re: XG2431 Large Vertical Total 144 hz question

Post by PYRUSWON » 04 Dec 2021, 04:10

Giving an update -

After messing around with things and reading the entire Quick Frame Transport page up and down 2-3 times, I feel like I'm missing something.

When I go to create a custom resolution with CRU, I don't have a resolution that is automatically at 240hz. They're all 60hz resolutions, so I have no idea how I would go about making a QFT resolution if that's even possible with this monitor.

Any advice or feedback is welcome. I'm still messing with it to see what I can do.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 11:57

PYRUSWON wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 04:10
Giving an update -

After messing around with things and reading the entire Quick Frame Transport page up and down 2-3 times, I feel like I'm missing something.

When I go to create a custom resolution with CRU, I don't have a resolution that is automatically at 240hz. They're all 60hz resolutions, so I have no idea how I would go about making a QFT resolution if that's even possible with this monitor.

Any advice or feedback is welcome. I'm still messing with it to see what I can do.
You should COPY an existing 240Hz mode. Do not create the mode from scratch.\

1. Open ToastyX CRU
2. Open the existing 240 Hz mode
3. Copy the existing 240 Hz mode
4. Edit the copy of the existing 240 Hz mode according to instructions in the QFT / Large VT HOWTO.

If 240Hz is currently 1090, then you'll want to edit it to approximately 240/144ths of 1090 -- so you'll reach approximately Vertical Total 1816 or thereabouts to get 144Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

reighnman

Post by reighnman » 04 Dec 2021, 19:41

I actually was just going through this yesterday now that mine arrived:

Copied from the 240 profile:

I ended up with 1933:
LG27850GN
VG248QE Strobed

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 20:36

Good one!

After selecting a copy of the 240Hz mode, it is better to move the radio button to "Pixel Clock" to make it easier to edit either Back Porch or Total.

Editing Vertical Total will adjust the Front Porch, while editing Back Porch will adjust the Back Porch. I actually like the idea of editing the back porch more, but it's also harder to get ultralarge vertical totals because of the limitations of earlier versions of EDID not letting me use ultralarge Back Porches.

Variable refresh rate varies the Back Porch, so using a large Back Porch is actually a much more compatible method of large vertical totals. However, it's harder due to legacy limitations of the older version of EDID Plug-n-Play which are not QFT-compatible via the Back porch method (instead of Front porch).

During 2022, I think I am going to write a system tray utility called a "QFT Wizard" of some kind -- the "Blur Busters Refresh Rate Tool". This will be the Next Best Thing to monitor-manufacturer Plug-n-Play QFT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!