I need MORE motion blur on my monitor... (24FPS content)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SixelAlexiS

I need MORE motion blur on my monitor... (24FPS content)

Post by SixelAlexiS » 08 Feb 2022, 09:22

Hi,

I have a Benq EX2510S and while with gaming is great (sRGB mode, no BFI), I have issues with video content at low framerate.
Basically the AMA is too aggressive even at 0 and sadly you get visible stuttering on video content at 24 and 25FPS.

I know that this is something that need to be handled by the panel so there is probably nothing I can do about, but I was thinking if maybe there is something that can be done on a software level, like the Nvidia Video settings in Nvidia Control Panel that handle the video content but instead of messing with gamma and colors you could do something with motion.

Thank you for any answer :D

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: I need MORE motion blur on my monitor... (24FPS content)

Post by RealNC » 11 Feb 2022, 05:36

SixelAlexiS wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 09:22
maybe there is something that can be done on a software level
You can use 60Hz and use a video player that doesn't just do normal pulldown FPS conversion, but instead adds an interpolated blur frame (it adds two frames together, and blurs the transition.) I used MPV for that in the past. It's difficult to configure if you've never used it before, but it works extremely well. The added blur makes animation feel smooth.

See: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-interpolation

This is a case where you do want FPS/Hz mismatch, so that mpv will add blur frames to match display Hz.

The way it works is quite similar to this VRR simulation:

https://www.testufo.com/vrr

That is, the blurred-together frames make it look smooth.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SixelAlexiS

Post by SixelAlexiS » 11 Feb 2022, 09:10

RealNC wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 05:36
SixelAlexiS wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 09:22
maybe there is something that can be done on a software level
You can use 60Hz and use a video player that doesn't just do normal pulldown FPS conversion, but instead adds an interpolated blur frame (it adds two frames together, and blurs the transition.) I used MPV for that in the past. It's difficult to configure if you've never used it before, but it works extremely well. The added blur makes animation feel smooth.

See: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-interpolation

This is a case where you do want FPS/Hz mismatch, so that mpv will add blur frames to match display Hz.

The way it works is quite similar to this VRR simulation:

https://www.testufo.com/vrr

That is, the blurred-together frames make it look smooth.
Hi RealNC!

I was going to contact you just about MPV since I've found this old topic where you talked about this.

I tried MPV yesterday but I had no idea on what to do, I looked at the manual and it's very complex indeed :/

The thing I've understand is that I have to create a txt file in "AppData\Roaming\mpv" called 'mpv.conf', and then add the line of code there to make it do things, I have no idea what to actually write there tho.

My 60Hz signal is 60.000Hz, considering that can you tell me what to put in the .conf to make the interpolation work?

Btw does this interpolation method works on 25FPS content too? Thank you very much :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Feb 2022, 10:40

SixelAlexiS wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:10
I tried MPV yesterday but I had no idea on what to do, I looked at the manual and it's very complex indeed :/

The thing I've understand is that I have to create a txt file in "AppData\Roaming\mpv" called 'mpv.conf', and then add the line of code there to make it do things, I have no idea what to actually write there tho.

My 60Hz signal is 60.000Hz, considering that can you tell me what to put in the .conf to make the interpolation work?
Try this:

Code: Select all

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
interpolation
video-sync=display-resample
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
blend-subtitles=video
no-window-dragging
keep-open=yes
keep-open-pause=no
cursor-autohide-fs-only
If you have a very slow GPU and you get stutters, you can remove the lines:

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
They are high quality scaling filters. Unless your GPU is really, really slow (like integrated graphics from 10 years ago) they should work just fine though.
Btw does this interpolation method works on 25FPS content too? Thank you very much :)
It works for any FPS that can't be mapped perfectly to the current refresh rate. At 60Hz, that means 24 and 25FPS. 30FPS will not work, because that maps perfectly to 60Hz.

You can also try using different refresh rates (if your display supports them) to see which produces the best result. Like 75Hz.

One thing though: if you use g-sync, this might not work. If you want to ensure it works, you can disable g-sync by creating a profile for mpv in the nvidia panel and disable g-sync in that profile.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SixelAlexiS

Post by SixelAlexiS » 14 Feb 2022, 11:17

RealNC wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 10:40
SixelAlexiS wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:10

Try this:

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
interpolation
video-sync=display-resample
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
blend-subtitles=video
no-window-dragging
keep-open=yes
keep-open-pause=no
cursor-autohide-fs-only
If you have a very slow GPU and you get stutters, you can remove the lines:

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
They are high quality scaling filters. Unless your GPU is really, really slow (like integrated graphics from 10 years ago) they should work just fine though.
It works for any FPS that can't be mapped perfectly to the current refresh rate. At 60Hz, that means 24 and 25FPS. 30FPS will not work, because that maps perfectly to 60Hz.

You can also try using different refresh rates (if your display supports them) to see which produces the best result. Like 75Hz.

One thing though: if you use g-sync, this might not work. If you want to ensure it works, you can disable g-sync by creating a profile for mpv in the nvidia panel and disable g-sync in that profile.
Thanks! As you said I had to disable g-sync to let it work.
I don't have issues with performances (RTX 2060) but the smearing/ghosting effect is too eccessive, is there a way to tone it down?
A middle ground solution or various intensity options I can test?
Thanks again for the help :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Feb 2022, 17:34

SixelAlexiS wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:17
I don't have issues with performances (RTX 2060) but the smearing/ghosting effect is too eccessive, is there a way to tone it down?
A middle ground solution or various intensity options I can test?
Thanks again for the help :)
As mentioned in the documentation (https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-interpolation), the --tscale option is used to change the filter which is documented here:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-tscale

The sharpest filter is "oversample", so you can add this to the conf file:

tscale=oversample
To get the full list of available filters, you can run "mpv --tscale=help" in a command prompt. Here, I get these available filters to choose from:

Available scalers:
    oversample
    linear
    spline16
    spline36
    spline64
    sinc
    lanczos
    ginseng
    bicubic
    bcspline
    catmull_rom
    mitchell
    robidoux
    robidouxsharp
    box
    nearest
    triangle
    gaussian
    bartlett
    cosine
    hanning
    tukey
    hamming
    quadric
    welch
    kaiser
    blackman
    sphinx