ViewSonic Strobe Utility .NET Error Unhandled Exception [SOLUTION]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
xphailedx

ViewSonic Strobe Utility .NET Error Unhandled Exception [SOLUTION]

Post by xphailedx » 26 May 2022, 08:17

Hi guys I just recently purchased a ViewSonic XG2431 and have been trying to get the Strobe Utility to work on it but I keep receiving the same error. I've been trying to fix the error for hours now. What I have done so far:

- Run the application as administrator.
- Reinstall the application.
- Reinstall .NET Framework by uninstalling it in Windows updates and reinstalling it.
- Disabled and re-enabled .NET Framework in Windows Features.
- Ran sfc /scannow several times

Whenever I hit "Continue" through the error and try to adjust the PureXP settings or any of the sliders, there are no changes being reflected.

I don't know how to proceed, does anyone have any ideas as to what the error could be caused by? I have attached an image to the post. I would appreciate any and all help, thanks!
Attachments
blurbusters.png
blurbusters.png (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic Strobe Utility .NET Error Unhandled Exception [SOLUTION]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2022, 17:48

xphailedx wrote:
26 May 2022, 08:17
Hi guys I just recently purchased a ViewSonic XG2431 and have been trying to get the Strobe Utility to work on it but I keep receiving the same error. I've been trying to fix the error for hours now. What I have done so far:

- Run the application as administrator.
- Reinstall the application.
- Reinstall .NET Framework by uninstalling it in Windows updates and reinstalling it.
- Disabled and re-enabled .NET Framework in Windows Features.
- Ran sfc /scannow several times

Whenever I hit "Continue" through the error and try to adjust the PureXP settings or any of the sliders, there are no changes being reflected.

I don't know how to proceed, does anyone have any ideas as to what the error could be caused by? I have attached an image to the post. I would appreciate any and all help, thanks!
This was a bug when a DDC value reported a range that was outside of Strobe Utility's support.

Pick one of the 4 approaches to fix this:

Approach 1
Factory resetting the monitor usually works, where the monitor DDC values go back into range.

Approach 2
or Using Entech SoftMCCS to reset all the DDC values, before launching Strobe Utility.

Approach 3
or Another method is to edit the strobe utility INI file and temporarily set all maximum values to 255, launch utility, set all values to within the original ranges (or a ballpark value like "10") then restore the INI file to restore the maximum values.

Approach 4
or Wait for new version of ViewSonic Strobe Utility that fixes this bug;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!