XL2411T vs 2411Z (BenqBlur vs ULMB vs LB) for Twitch Gaming

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Reythe

XL2411T vs 2411Z (BenqBlur vs ULMB vs LB) for Twitch Gaming

Post by Reythe » 18 Jun 2014, 18:53

Hi there,

I have been browsing the website for a couple of months now which has been like an information goldmine so good work chief! Throughout my years of gaming I originally used a Hyundai Imagequest (17" Flatscren CRT) which was silky smooth and I wish I could use a 21" CRT now but due to their rarity now I had to go to 60hz 2ms LCD about 5 years ago. Even though my FPS was always 60+ it was never as smooth and it wasn't until I learned about refresh rates that I decided to buy the 120hz Viewsonic 22" VX2265WM.

This has been great and I can never go back to 60hz but over time my expectations and pickiness made me notice the blurring/ghosting the monitor has because of it's higher response time and I wish to purchase either the XL2411T or the XL2411Z. I mainly play CS:GO and other competitive games and am willing to sacrifice visual quality for raw performance. So far all I can tell is that the XL2411Z has the BENQ Blur-Reudction and the XL2411T doesn't.

I'm interested in seeing which blur-reduction technology would be worth it as I see there is Lightboost, ULMB and BenQ Blur-Reduction. I work at an Australian electronic retailer and to my surprise I found we just started to stock the XL2411T which I can get for 25% off due to staff discount.

Sorry for the rant, I guess my question is what technology will be best for me and what are the pros/cons of ULMB/BenQBR/Lightboost for competitive gaming. If I can get the XL2411T it would be nice but I just want to find out more about the blur-reduction technologies. My PC (i5-2500, GTX 770, 8GB ram) is capable of handling CS:GO 300fps+ and other games as I normally alter graphics settings to for better performance.

flood

Re: XL2411T vs 2411Z (BenqBlur vs ULMB vs LB) for Twitch Gam

Post by flood » 19 Jun 2014, 22:27

strobed backlighting only helps when your eyes are tracking a moving object.

in csgo and 3D FPS games in general, that doesn't happen much since your eyes stay at crosshair and you track objects by moving your mouse.

so don't worry too much about it

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 20 Jun 2014, 00:55

flood wrote:strobed backlighting only helps when your eyes are tracking a moving object.

in csgo and 3D FPS games in general, that doesn't happen much since your eyes stay at crosshair and you track objects by moving your mouse.

It depends on player and game. For example game with a lot of details and hard spoted enemies strobed backlight helps for many.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jun 2014, 07:52

flood wrote:strobed backlighting only helps when your eyes are tracking a moving object.

flood, that's not always true. Different people has different play styles.

There are people who get improved scores when playing FPS during strobing -- see - http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/testimonials

Also, the phenomenon of blur-dependant playstyles
Some people grew up with CRT monitors, and thusly, developed playstyles that has them track eyes all over the place, such as circle-strafing and getting headshots more accurately (easier to track eyes on crispy clear head as you circle-strafe). In addition, there's high-speed zoombys past arenas of multiple enemies, forcing to shoot them all quickly, and often you are tracking eyes all over the place while turning with mouse. There's also high-speed helicoptor low flybys, so you're forced to track eyes as things zoom past underneath, as you aim. There's also unpredictably zoomy situations such as 'Scout' in Team Fortress 2, which often leads to increased eye tracking. And situations running all over the place in a busy arena, while moving the mouse around, being able to zap, zap, zap off the enemies in rapid succession, shooting without stopping turning. If a lot of your playstyles use a lot of zero-blur-dependant situations.

CRT-dependant playstyles are less common today.
Some kids today don't even know what a CRT is, so they all developed playstyles that don't depend on zero motion blur. Some of us gave up FPS gaming when the LCDs arrived because a lot of us developed playstyles heavily dependant on zero motion blur. A lot of the competitions don't do as much circle-strafing in the LCD era as they used to in the CRT era, for example, in the Quake-type games. Heck, even some of the game programmers now at the studios have never played on CRT before - and there are now already teenagers today who grew up in a CRT-free household.

Tests have shown that different people have very different playstyles. We need to respect that, and never tell people that blur reduction don't work for them. That would be silly; since you can't read their minds what playstyles they have and whether or not they are blur dependant. Also, there's a huge following in reddit PC Master Race about using LightBoost in CS:GO, and a few other places on the Internet.

But simultaneously, I acknowledge there are people who keep their eyes on the crosshairs 100% of the time, not even glancing away. You'd be surprised how many people don't do that, while others do.

What Blur Busters does, is respect all groups -- people who do benefit from LightBoost, and people who don't benefit from LightBoost. What is great, is to have the option, and the ability to turn it ON/OFF. Thousands of people have improved their gaming scores thanks to strobing. While thousands of others have not nor see a visual difference. Blur Busters aims to explain why it sometimes benefit people, and why it sometimes doesn't. There are lots of people saying LightBoost/strobing is bigger than the difference of 60Hz vs 120Hz. While lots of others don't see any difference. We look at both sides, and respect that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jun 2014, 08:02

Q83Ia7ta wrote:It depends on player and game. For example game with a lot of details and hard spoted enemies strobed backlight helps for many.
+1
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

flood

Post by flood » 20 Jun 2014, 18:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote: There are people who get improved scores when playing FPS during strobing -- see - http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/testimonials
have they played on the same monitor with lightboost off for a similarly long period of time?

Reythe

Post by Reythe » 21 Jun 2014, 10:20

Also, the phenomenon of blur-dependant playstyles
Some people grew up with CRT monitors, and thusly, developed playstyles that has them track eyes all over the place, such as circle-strafing and getting headshots more accurately (easier to track eyes on crispy clear head as you circle-strafe). In addition, there's high-speed zoombys past arenas of multiple enemies, forcing to shoot them all quickly, and often you are tracking eyes all over the place while turning with mouse. There's also high-speed helicoptor low flybys, so you're forced to track eyes as things zoom past underneath, as you aim. There's also unpredictably zoomy situations such as 'Scout' in Team Fortress 2, which often leads to increased eye tracking. And situations running all over the place in a busy arena, while moving the mouse around, being able to zap, zap, zap off the enemies in rapid succession, shooting without stopping turning. If a lot of your playstyles use a lot of zero-blur-dependant situations.
CRT-dependant playstyles are less common today.
Some kids today don't even know what a CRT is, so they all developed playstyles that don't depend on zero motion blur. Some of us gave up FPS gaming when the LCDs arrived because a lot of us developed playstyles heavily dependant on zero motion blur. A lot of the competitions don't do as much circle-strafing in the LCD era as they used to in the CRT era, for example, in the Quake-type games. Heck, even some of the game programmers now at the studios have never played on CRT before - and there are now already teenagers today who grew up in a CRT-free household.
Tests have shown that different people have very different playstyles. We need to respect that, and never tell people that blur reduction don't work for them. That would be silly; since you can't read their minds what playstyles they have and whether or not they are blur dependant. Also, there's a huge following in reddit PC Master Race about using LightBoost in CS:GO, and a few other places on the Internet. [/b]
100% agree Chief!, whilst CS:GO is my main game I play different mods/gaming like bunnyhop/surf which require fast sweeping and rapid camera movements which I think would benefit greatly from strobing.

Would you say that the XL2411Z is worth the extra 100$ over the XL2411T, could you explain a little bit more on the pros/cons?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2014, 12:26

flood wrote:have they played on the same monitor with lightboost off for a similarly long period of time?
It would be certainly nice to have a scientific study with large enough sample size (100+ people), but many hundreds of posts all over the Internet exist say that LightBoost has improved their gaming. Mixed in with all the posts that they do not. The testimonials page is only a very small sampling.
Reythe wrote:Would you say that the XL2411Z is worth the extra 100$ over the XL2411T, could you explain a little bit more on the pros/cons?
XL2411T and XL2411Z is only a mere $50 apart in this country, but things might be different in your country.
Both are nearly identical monitors with only minor differences.

XL2411T has only LightBoost (which has poor colors)
XL2411Z has BENQ Blur Reduction (much better colors and adjustability)

Other features of XL2411Z includes eye-friendly adjustments (e.g. Low Blue Light) and the picture is fully adjustable.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 21 Jun 2014, 20:22

LightBoost or BenQ Blur Reduction makes my performance worse. I play fast paced FPS where moving enemy can be easily spotted and strobing tech only adds significant amount of input lag that makes react slower. Even 144Hz vs 120Hz makes difference in reaction time. I know many people who also don't like LightBoost and prefers 144Hz instead strobe techs.