Xperia OLED smartphones strobing? How does it work?

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
kyube

Xperia OLED smartphones strobing? How does it work?

Post by kyube » 05 Jul 2022, 13:11

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

How exactly are they achieving this? Is this BFI or is it fake? Is the PWM frequency being affected by this?
One way to achieve strobing is the equaling the refresh rate and multi-strobe pwm frequency, along with tweaking the duty cycle.
I cannot seem to tell a difference judging by these videos if there is any improvement in motion clarity though? I kinda expected as soon as it's a strobed display = crazy clarity.
Does anyone perhaps own a Xperia 5 II, 5 III or 1 III for some testUFO shots or to verify whether there's a perceiveable difference?

RonsonPL

Re: Xperia OLED smartphones strobing? How does it work?

Post by RonsonPL » 05 Jul 2022, 16:45

Sadly, I cannot provide any info you're looking for. Just this:

It may be due to
- in-game motion blur
- that's a smartphone. Maintaining solid Hz=fps may be very, very difficult

That's Sony. They're doing strobed OLEDs in their PSVR1 and upcoming PSVR2, so they should know how to do it. I guess that's the same scanning method we've seen in all of the VR OLED displays, which rely on technologies very close to those found in smartphones.