Viewsonic vx3218 "ghosting" in DOOM

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
corbn

Viewsonic vx3218 "ghosting" in DOOM

Post by corbn » 27 Aug 2022, 23:22

Hello all!

I've been at this for hours, so my sincere apologies if this is posted in the wrong location (or if I'm chasing a lost cause).

My issue:
I am seeing serious "ghosting" when playing older games (like DOOM). Any movement and the textures leave awful trails which makes playing almost unbearable. I've adjusted everything I can find in the monitors control panel as well as all sorts of in-game settings.

I've managed to reduce the ghosting somewhat, but I'm hoping I can find a silver bullet somewhere. :D

And unfortunately, it seems the strobe calibration utility isn't compatible with my monitor.

My system specs:
Windows 11
Viewsonic OMNI VX3218
RTX 3060Ti

Any thoughts on what I might try? I'm happy to post a link to a sample recording showing the ghosting effect if that helps.

Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic vx3218 "ghosting" in DOOM

Post by RealNC » 28 Aug 2022, 11:00

Make sure motion blur is turned off in the game's settings. Doom 2016 has that enabled by default. Also note that in some games it can't be disabled, or if it can, it requires tweaking of config files. Usually you can consult https://www.pcgamingwiki.com to see how to disable motion blur.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

corbn

Post by corbn » 28 Aug 2022, 12:54

thanks for the feedback RealNC... i'll take a look at that link, but my suspicion is that its my monitor as opposed to the game :(

here's a sample of what i'm seeing (hopefully this actually shows the ghosting effect on your end):
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=gz ... .49.02.mp4

corbn

Post by corbn » 28 Aug 2022, 16:27

interestingly enough, I switched from my DisplayPort connection to HDMI... no ghosting! I am sure that makes sense to someone here, but for now, I will simply opt for switching between inputs depending on the type of game I am playing... *shrugs*