Blurred game although FPS high enough?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Jocser

Blurred game although FPS high enough?

Post by Jocser » 28 Sep 2022, 01:25

Hi Guys,

after many years I built a new simrig to play racing games. I have got:

- i7 12700k
- Asus RTX 3080
- 3x Samsung Odyssey G7 (32" - 1440p)
- spanned with NVidia Surround to 7680x1440 @240hz

For what I've read G sync works between 80 and 235fps.
Even if my GPU is spitting out 185fps and I take a corner, the image gets blurred. I dont understand because back in the days Gran turismo on PS4 was 60fps and that stays sharp in corners?

Now I tried with and without G sync V sync, FXAA, MSAA, frames capped or not, hz of the monitors at 120-144-240 all the same result.

When I do the ufo test it is sharper at 240 than at 120. Isnt there a way to have 120 fps with a non blurred image?
Attachments
IMG_7576 (1).mp4
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 122 times

RonsonPL

Re: Blurred game although FPS high enough?

Post by RonsonPL » 30 Sep 2022, 04:14

Unfortunately, you'll need a properly working Low Persistence mode to get rid of blur, and this model has this feature messed up. If it's even possible to get really clear image in motion on the LCD matrix of this type (VA) at higher refreshrates. It might not be.

Look at this (timestamp):
phpBB [video]

And then read here:
https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction

Enable the motion reduction feature at 120Hz, and check Ufotest page in a browser which supports 120Hz properly. That would be the best you can get from this monitor. Switch to Moving photo test to see the whole area (full screen)

Sadly, most reviewers recommend monitors which cannot handle motion well, even call them "best in class" and such. I'm afraid you'll need to swap at least one of your G7s to get rid of the problem.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 01 Oct 2022, 04:54

Freesync only syncs refresh rate and frame rate which removes tearing and results in smoother motion. It won't help motion blur. You might want to consider blur reduction tech/strobing if your eyes can handle the flicker. Something like your G7 already offers, called MBR. Unfortunately Samsung implementation is not very good and u might want to consider new display. But very few monitors offer good blur reduction. To get most out of strobing make sure to utilize it properly (perfect fps/frametime=Hz): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3555
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 01 Oct 2022, 15:54

Thanks for answers!! Too bad I didnt get to this forum at first.
So what monitors would you Guys recommend to get best results?

In the meantime I figured out when I turn settings down and get to 220fps, the image is smooth. But with my resolution thats not possible to run in all games at all times…

I can change the center monitor to check it gets better! But… what monitor is good!?

Thanks

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 02 Oct 2022, 04:25

so this monitors, which are half the price of these samsung monitors I bought sadly enough, might give me better performance?

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/8850 ... su-b1.html

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 02 Oct 2022, 06:23

There's not a single flawless monitor. Whateveer you choose, it's a trade off.
Chief here works with some monitor vendors, to give them proper motion handling and Blurbuster certificate

https://blurbusters.com/press-release-v ... t-to-pass/

Look also here:
https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

and here:
https://blurbusters.com/blur-busters-approved

but in general, remember: the fact that a monitor has a strobing mode, doesn't mean the strobing mode is good or even usable.
I'd recommend checking the Hardware Unboxed review of the model you're looking at, pick the moment on the video where they show the response time tables. The UFOtest images should be near that on the video. Just ignore what they say, as they really don't know much about motion handling and often talk nonsense. Like "but we would not use it as it takes too much brightness away". They are not fans of strobing. Just look at how the UFO looks on the photo. If it's not blurry, and they are not saying the properly clear image is limited to just a small portion of the screen (up, mid, lower) then it should be OK.

Wait for the Chief to add some info as well. I also wonder what's around the corner from 2.0 certified ones.

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 02 Oct 2022, 07:21

So in this list the most monitors are 27”? Arent 32s in the same variant the same result? If not and of I understand it, I have to buy 27’s with ulmb Technology. So I dont have this crappy blur thing. Colors and light arent that important for racing. The image just has to stay Sharp. Now its like being drunk in the corners. I had almost bought a 3090ti because i thought I had insufficient gpu power

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 02 Oct 2022, 10:15

ULMB is just one of many names for low persistence mode.
https://blurbusters.com/category/blur-reduction/

You need to get something which will just work geometrically with your setup. I've never used 3-monitor setup so don't know if you can do something to fit mismatching sized monitors to work together or not.
Probably you'll need the same size as the other two.

As to the models. Watch out. Same model line may be different in different sizes. 27", 24 or 32" panels of the monitor family may even use completely different LCD panel types.
So to be on the safe side, search for the reviews of this exact model you're considering.

PS. And I completely agree. Racing games, arcade racing games, to be exact, are among my favorite game genres, and nothing ruins the fun more than turning on a blurry display.
There are games like Nail'd or Pure, in which you drive quads. As soon as you start turning, the whole sense of speed simply evaporates in an instant.
With a proper display, in my case an LCD with fast TN panel and exceptionally well working low persistence/strobing mode, the sense of speed is continous and the game is way more fun.

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 02 Oct 2022, 11:48

You mean the reviews in this site? Blur Buster review? Because I read a lot of reviews telling it was an awesome monitor, Although being va panel it was best of the best.
So now it appears to be total piece of shit

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 02 Oct 2022, 14:37

If you find information about the monitor you're interested in, here, then that would be best source of info.

When I say reviews, I mean the ones which focus on strobed/low persistence/BFI modes.
At least having the UFO test results cached with rolling camera method.
You can also just create a thred on this Eliminating Motion Blur subforum. Specify your needs to narrow it down, and people who are more in touch with current market, will probably help, although this subforum is not that active.
My knowledge is a bit outdated, so I'm not the best person to recommend you any monitor right now.
First of all, see if there is any BlurBusters 2.0 certified one in your desired screen size.

Things to look at:
- is the strobing good?
- if it's not very good, can it be at least adjusted, so if 3/4 of the screen can be clear, you could configure it for the game you're currenlty playing? This is rare thing to find, but some monitors do have this. For me, I would at least require the ability to customize strobe lenght. More light vs. clealer motion. Sometimes I prefer 2.5ms, other times I set my monitor to 1ms. And 2.5ms is annoying blurry in fast motion but 1ms is annoying dark. But if I need it, it's there for me to use in certain light conditions (night/day) and in certain games (slow paced ones, or ultra fast ones)
- depending on how vulnerably you are to flicker, it might be great to get 85Hz or even 75Hz strobed modes. Many monitors offer the strobing mode only between 100 and 120Hz and not outside this range. If you play emulated games, or 60fps capped games, strobed 60Hz may come in handy, although this one is really flickery and even I don't use it for more than 20 minutes without a pause to get my eyes some rest.

Your monitor is not complete crap. It's just crap in motion. The reviewers focus on static image quality, color vividness and accuracy. Personally I would call all monitors "bad" if they cannot handle the motion well, even if everything else is perfect. But that's just me. Majority of reviewers are on the opposite side of this extremum.
Basically, you should never ever believe in what you hear or read unless you are sure the author knows a lot about motion clarity importance and that he does not underestimate it. Hardware Unboxed is a good source of info, but in terms of motion handling, you should disregard 99% of what they say, unless they say the strobing mode is very good. Those rare cases (I think I saw one such review :D) are worth listening to. So just look at their UFOtests results part of their video and judge for yourself. The UFO ideally should be almost exactly as sharp as the stationary UFO image.

PS. Something might still be off, besides the monitor's flaw. IF the UFOTEST webpage with Moving Photo test set to faster scrolling speed, looks significantly better than what you see in game, you can have an additional problem adding up to the motioc clarity issue. Like, not stable framerate (if you use strobed mode, you need exactly fps=Hz. If you even go 1-2 frames off (98fps or 102fps at 100Hz) you won't be able to see details in fast motion. You do need to have the v-sync enabled to avoid tearing.

BTW. There will be alternatives to 3 monitor setup. Wide-FOV VR headsets.
Also, OLED monitors may (or may not, nobody knows) bring a big jump in terms of motion handling. They're expected to arrive in bigger numbers in 2023.

Also, don't worry if you bought wrong thing based of unprofessional reviews. It happens. I once went through 4 (four!) power supplies in a single year because of reviews I've read. First, recommendations made me buy the wrong type (3,3V+5V focused, instead of 12V), then I bought one which got praise in reviews but died after 2 months and same happened to my neighbour who bought the same model. Then I bought a super good brand one, expensive and superb in every aspect... except of the nasty coil whine. So I ended up having to switch yet again.
That's life. Cheer up :)