Blurred game although FPS high enough?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RonsonPL

Re: Blurred game although FPS high enough?

Post by RonsonPL » 03 Oct 2022, 05:00

Some possibly related news for you:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1664784443

It might take a while and it might be expensice. There's also no guarantee whatsoever that those OLEDs will even have low persistence/strobing/BFI mode available.
But it's worth considering anyway.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 03 Oct 2022, 05:27

As RansonPL says strobe modes on 99% of monitors are either poorly tuned or incapable of achieving clear motion.

In the meantime u can go through this test UFO collection and see what suits your needs. So far I can only recommend XG2431, XG270 @119Hz, maybe even LG C1 if u're ok with low brightness. But better wait for new monitors to come out. Although the waiting might take some time.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 04 Oct 2022, 00:04

So I retried a lot of settings. Switching the monitor to 120 of 144 hz does not make a difference.
The MBR fastest mode can only be activistes with gsync off. And its not better in any way. The UFO looks even better when its off.
So, mbr mode, zero points for Samsung

The best results are when monitor is at 240hz, gsync on and the fps also being 230fps+. It s quite smooth actually at high fps.
For some games its not a problem, but when at the start of an online race in iracing its impossible. Assetto Corsa wont get there either with 7680x1440, at no time so that game is not playable. Richard Burns rally is good to play.

I have re-read reviews and they indeed talk about colours and deep blacks and things like that, for saying its a good monitor.
Not much about blur. The say smearing comes more with blacks, would setting the monitor brighter be any help?

But for my racing purpose I only need a smooth following image without blur. The entire screen moves the whole time…

3x LG c1 would be a possibility but they are 4K so it Will bring my fps down. For what I have heard they dont have a DP only HDMI.
So, of I have 3 of these and the fps would get to Lets say 70fps, the image could be smoother? What is enough fps for being smooth?

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 04 Oct 2022, 08:07

Watch out for LG OLED TVs, at they go the wrong way. 2022 model has worse BFI support than 2021 and 2021, if I'm not mistaken, is worse in some aspects than 2020 model.

As to the "what is enough FPS for smoothness?" question - depends. For perfect motion clarity you need strobing/BFI. This means anything below 85Hz/85fps can be annoyingly flickery.
Many displays just don't support strobing/BFI outside some small window like 100-120Hz, so the minimum for strobed/BFI mode would be your fps target.

For me, even 75Hz/75fps is smooth. If I use slower cars, even 60fps is enough on a 60Hz CRT TV, but the faster you go, the more you benefit from higher framerates like 120fps. There's a big difference to the input lag as well, so a racing game can feel different at 120fps, not only smoother at higher speed.

I don't think there's any benefit from 240fps in racing games, unless you play a future racer (800km/h) or use a bumper cam which gives the speed impression of 1000km/h at 200km/h ;)

Jocser

Post by Jocser » 04 Oct 2022, 12:28

Well, it wont be necessary if my monitor did not blur everything. 80fps without blurry motion would be perfect for me!

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 16 Nov 2022, 14:35

> spanned with NVidia Surround to 7680x1440 @240hz

sorry to ruin your fun, but you probably need to lower your resolution, framerate, or refresh rate. I would try 60fps/hz first and see if it runs smoothly, then 120, then 180.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2022, 19:55

RonsonPL wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 08:07
I don't think there's any benefit from 240fps in racing games, unless you play a future racer (800km/h) or use a bumper cam which gives the speed impression of 1000km/h at 200km/h ;)
Actually, that's false for 3-monitor surround.

Things zoom by VERY fast on the side monitors. Super motion blurry in racing sims!

Seeing roadside signs, reading competitor nametags, avoiding motionblur nausea, witnessing TestUFO-smooth clarity needs extremely high frame rates. Motionblur creates headaches and motion sickness in many surround situations such as VR or 3-monitors, where your vision is completely surrounded. Bigger-FOV where the extremities are more motion-blurry than the center, creates a strange sensation in some individuals that creates a form of motion sickness, since it is extra motion blur above-and-beyond real life. It feels almost identical to VR motion sickness for some people sensitive to display motion blur. Not everyone cares, but remember some other people get motionsick from motion blur!!! That's why we are Blur Busters, people come to us for salvation from motion blur, so we hear all kinds of blur-hate stories over the last decade...

You have two main options to kill display motion blur in sims:
(A) Brute framerate-based motion blur reduction; or
(B) Strobe-based motion blur reduction.

Both will lower persistence, but flickerless strobeless low-persistence sample and hold is quite unaffordable to most (500fps 500Hz = 2ms MPRT without strobing). And that's STILL not CRT motion clarity.

Not everyone sees the same.

That being said, to get CRT motion clarity on flickerless sample-and-hold requires 1000fps at 1000Hz (or thereabouts), so the other option is to intentionally use a strobe flicker mode for motion blur reduction (e.g. ViewSonic XG2431 + PureXP Custom or such).

Lower framerate to make sure strobe framerate=Hz, e.g. 120fps 120Hz, and enjoy the CRT-league/VR-league motion clarity nirvana in sim games.
Jocser wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 12:28
Well, it wont be necessary if my monitor did not blur everything. 80fps without blurry motion would be perfect for me!
The ONLY way to get blur-free 80fps is to intentionally flicker your screen (strobe backlight mode such as ULMB, ELMB, VRB, PureXP, DyAc, etc). If you want great CRT-motion-clarity blur reduction that works at custom refresh rates, you might want to consider a trio of ViewSonic XG2431s at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 and then use 100Hz QFT modes for virtually zero double images. Configure 80 Hz QFT, calibrate it with PureXP Custom, and enjoy what feels like a trio of 80Hz CRT tubes, except they're flat panel LCDs.

Also, remember most non-strobed 120Hz OLED won't have less than 1/120sec motion blur, a good strobed LCD will always have less motion blur than a non-strobed OLED. Always remember that. OLED is amazing, but if you're looking for the lowest persistences, currently, LCD strobe backlights are the way to go as no commercially-available desktop OLED currently is capable of less than approximately 4ms persistence (yet...), though the new 240Hz OLEDs will do that if you can maintain 240fps.

Make sure you use VSYNC ON at framerate=Hz, when you use a good strobe technology, for the best CRT motion feel.

For reference, diagrams of display motion blur:

OPTION A: Brute framerate-based motion blur reduction

OPTION B: Strobe-based motion blur reduction
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 25 Nov 2022, 12:06

- spanned with NVidia Surround to 7680x1440 @240hz
This is where nvidia turns all 3 screens into 1, right? I think the blur is happening when you move so far that the pixels try to transfer from one of the side screens to the center or even the other side screen, and the framerate isn't high enough to do this smoothly. Have you tried with a game that supports 3 monitors directly?