VG259QM Large Vertical Totals help

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
brzegorz

VG259QM Large Vertical Totals help

Post by brzegorz » 19 Oct 2022, 11:24

Hello,

I've decided to try and improve strobing on my VG258QM. While it has satisfactory strobing above 200Hz with ELMB-sync, I wanted to try and achieve a good ~100-150Hz strobing with QFT. I've managed to get somewhere by using CRU, copying the 240Hz resolution from Edid, and modifying the vertical total to "2000" - yay! Unfortunately I have hard time refining that result because most of the resolutions I achieve disable strobing on the monitor and make the strobing option greyed out in OSD. Does anyone know what' the reason for that? If I knew what parameters must be met for strobing to remain available, I'd have a much easier time experimenting.

I've tried to capture the results with my phone, but all I can get is a blurry mess where it's impossible to see the difference between native 144Hz picture and picture in my custom resolution(145Hz).

TL;DR: Why is strobing available at some custom resolutions, but it's not available at other?

tech

Re: VG259QM Large Vertical Totals help

Post by tech » 20 Oct 2022, 11:41

I copied and modified the 280Hz from the detailed list, then selected Vertical Total Calculator from the drop down menu of the newest version of CRU (version 1.5.2) and entered the refresh rate. ELMB-sync seems to be ON on my vg279qm at 200Hz currently.
I tried lower refresh rates but didn't find motion clarity to be that much better.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2022, 04:13

brzegorz wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 11:24
I've decided to try and improve strobing on my VG258QM. While it has satisfactory strobing above 200Hz with ELMB-sync, I wanted to try and achieve a good ~100-150Hz strobing with QFT. I've managed to get somewhere by using CRU, copying the 240Hz resolution from Edid, and modifying the vertical total to "2000" - yay! Unfortunately I have hard time refining that result because most of the resolutions I achieve disable strobing on the monitor and make the strobing option greyed out in OSD. Does anyone know what' the reason for that? If I knew what parameters must be met for strobing to remain available, I'd have a much easier time experimenting.
It is no longer necessary to modify the Vertical Total directly. Use the Vertical Total Calculator instead, and edit the refresh rate instead.

This brand new version of ToastyX does a much better job.

The problem is that ELMB-Sync doesn't have an easy way of adjusting strobe phase during ELMB-SYNC, so there are limits to how much crosstalk improves. Often, crosstalk will improve at one screen edge, but not the other.
brzegorz wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 11:24
Never modify the Vertical Total directly. Use the Vertical Total Calculator instead, and edit the refresh rate instead.

This brand new version of ToastyX does a much better job.

The problem is that ELMB-Sync doesn't have an easy way of adjusting strobe phase during ELMB-SYNC, so there are limits to how much crosstalk improves. Often, crosstalk will improve at one screen edge, but not the other.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

brzegorz

Post by brzegorz » 22 Oct 2022, 14:02

Thank you for input. For the lower refresh rate Im using ELMB without VRR. Unfortunately the issue persists with Vertical Total calculator. For example I can enable strobing on 120Hz, but not on 121 Hz. The best results so far are for 145.76 Hz. Is there any way I can predict what will be working with ELMB, and what will not? And what should I freeze in calculator: pixel clock or Hz?

P.S. For the modes that work, I need to readjust "Clarity position" to the upper section of the screen instead of the middle. Then, I'm able to get a very uniform crosstalk for the whole monitor, but it's also quite visible. I don't get the black lines visible in worse modes, but I can see a second UFO behind the first one quite clearly. With higher animation speed I can see much more of this second UFO, i.e. in 960 px/s I can see around 5% of it's total length, but in 3840 I can see over 50%. Any tips on how to get rid of this second image? Is it even possible?