Moving from CRT to Eizo FG2421 [EIZO's strobed monitor]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Dash

Re: Moving from CRT to Eizo FG2421 [EIZO's strobed monitor]

Post by Dash » 13 Jan 2014, 21:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Are you planning to keep the monitor?
I am actually going to return it due to palpable input lag feeling. I absolutely love it otherwise. For those who aren't sensitive to the input lag, they will adore this purchase - also, and I just made a thread about this, but I find that 24" may be too big for me while playing Fast past games such as QuakeLive. I think 22" would be perfect for me, but I'm in a no luck situation thus far based on the supposed monitors at the current moment :cry:

Vega

Post by Vega » 13 Jan 2014, 23:22

Great thread. Some of you guys really need to hunt down a FW900 if these low of input lag numbers are affecting you with strobing backlight LCD's. Great picture, virtually zero lag, and great motion clarity all in one package.

Dash

Post by Dash » 14 Jan 2014, 00:31

I think a lightboost monitor would suffice for input lag since many quakers seem to be loving it from the few posts I've seen. Issue is after playing with the Eizo for several days, I'm starting to realize that 24" is personally too big for me for frantic quake action (ofcourse, love the size for anything else).

Julios, I noticed a thread on some site where you said you got one of your fw900's for 30 dollars??? did you pay that much for your second one, and did you find them on CraigsList when you lucked out?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 14 Jan 2014, 00:58

The first one was $60, but as I was about to leave to pick it up, he called me and said he had just dropped it, and reduced it to $30.

The second I paid $300 + $40 for the guy to drive it over from oshawa.

I believe I found both of these on kijiji.

the third I picked up for $40 - non functional, but might be useful for spare parts.

Once you calibrate these units they are stunning. Sometimes I'll just stare at my desktop wallpaper in awe.

That said, a good 21 inch CRT will be fine for quake, and those are not too hard to find.

I also recommend some basic strength training to handle these units, and I'm not being completely facetious. Dash, you look like you train pretty hard, so I think you'll enjoy handling them up stairs and what not :)

Arbaal

Post by Arbaal » 14 Jan 2014, 05:12

spacediver wrote: For example, it has been shown that musicians can detect a difference between a 50ms continuous tone, and a 57.6 ms continuous tone (see table 1: http://www.iapsych.com/iqclock2/LinkedD ... er2006.pdf ). That shows that they are sensitive to differences as small as around 7 ms in that particular task.
Interesting, but you are comparing two different senses now. Our audible sense has a short reaction time / input lag then our visual one (as stated in the paper I linked in my earlier post). It would be nice to have such values for visual stimuli and reaction times. Probably there where some interesting numbers in VR related papers (even thought numbers from VR based tests might be not directly translatable to monitor based gaming, since it's been shown that "acceptable" lag values on monitors result in serious nausea / disorientation problem in VR).
spacediver wrote: It should be clear that even a tiny amount of lag, at any point in the chain, will cause a deterioration of performance (although the degree of deterioration depends on the degree of lag).
I'm not sure how this is clear yet. I'm sure that there is a threshold that a ordinary human can compensate for / won't affect him in any way. And this threshold might not even be remotely in the sub-MS area.

Lower is always better, but what is the target we need to optimize for? Right now, talking about lag in gaming always boils down to pure anecdotal evidence and religious like fellowship for either side. I would really like to bring light to this discussion and I might write some test/benchmark programs in the near future, if I find some more time.

rapt0r

Post by rapt0r » 14 Jan 2014, 09:43

Well, those last few pages on (H) about input-lag have really now put me off and I'm back at the undecided stage again pulling my hair out. Like several of the QuakeLive players on there I am also aged 34 and having played CS:S at a semi competitive level up until 4-5 years ago I feel the input-lag would really be noticeable to me. As 1 guys mentions about it costing him frags on QL and Battlefield, which is pretty much the only online game I play now now. I need all the help I can get with response time and using a CRT is no doubt already giving me an advantage in BF because I'd bet most players are using flat panels and yet I still suck at it :lol:

However, on the other hand, I don't spend nearly as long playing now as I did back then, maybe 5-8 hours a week max now and as we all know you need to spend a lot of time on any twitch type game to get really good at it and maintain your skill level. There's a good chance that I wouldn't notice the extra 11-18ms on BF seeing as how bad the netcode is to begin with. So maybe I'm trying to talk myself back into trying this monitor after all, would make a nice b'day present to myself next month...

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 14 Jan 2014, 19:35

Arbaal wrote: Interesting, but you are comparing two different senses now. Our audible sense has a short reaction time / input lag then our visual one (as stated in the paper I linked in my earlier post). It would be nice to have such values for visual stimuli and reaction times.
I think you're missing my point. Why are reaction times in any way relevant to being able to perceive temporal differences?

Suppose that it takes a whole second to become visually aware of a stimulus (ignoring motor responses). Why would that preclude someone from being sensitive to lag on the order of milliseconds?

I'm not saying that we are sensitive to such small changes; I just don't see how citing reaction time studies is relevant.

You could speculate that noise (related to the perception of time) is somehow a function of reaction time, but you would need to flesh this argument out some more.

Arbaal wrote: I'm not sure how this is clear yet. I'm sure that there is a threshold that a ordinary human can compensate for / won't affect him in any way. And this threshold might not even be remotely in the sub-MS area.
Think about it this way:

You will no doubt grant that a person with a ping of 250 ms will have a disadvantage vs someone with a 50 ms ping.

Think about why this is. It is because, all else being equal, the person with a 250 ms ping will react to situations 200 ms slower than the other player. In that 200 ms, things can change, and the high ping player will have already reacted to the old information.

The degree of this disadvantage is precisely a function of the length of this delay.

One can conceive of a situation where a 1 ms difference can result in a quantifiable change in performance:

Suppose a one pixel wide target is moving in a straight line towards the crosshair at a rate of 1000 pixels per second (1 pixel every ms). The task is to press fire as soon as the target intersects the crosshair. Assume zero input lag in the hardware, and zero ping. Also assume 50 ms of motor lag. An expert player will have a well calibrated response system, and will examine the trajectory of the target and make assumptions about its extrapolated position between the time he commits to firing and the time the mouse button is pressed. So, when the target is in such a position that if it continues along its trajectory it will intersect the crosshair in 50 ms (i.e. 50 pixels away), the player will initiate the motor response, and by the time the button is pressed, the target is in the crosshair.

Suppose the player develops such proficiency at this task that he is able to hit the target 10% of the time.

Now let's add 1 ms of network lag.

After training, the player will have to recalibrate his response, so that he now initiates the motor command when the target is 51 pixels away.

There is no reason to suppose that he can't reach the same level of proficiency as with zero lag.

But now let's change the rules of the game slightly.

Say 50% of the time, the target suddenly switches direction, rather than continuing towards the crosshair. In such situations, the player should not fire, but rather wait until the next "trial".

Now if this change in direction occurs during the window of lag, then the player will have fired already and it will be too late to do anything about it. The key thing to notice here is that the window of lag is 1 ms wider when you add the 1ms network delay.

This means that the player has to make up his mind 1 ms earlier (one pixel earlier). If the target changes direction 50 pixels away, then the player will have already fired if he had a 1ms ping, but with 0 ping, he'd've noticed it just in time.

Now one might argue that there is noise in the system, both in terms of visually assessing the correct distance, and in the amount of "motor" lag. But this noise has a distribution, which is usually Gaussian, and a distribution has a well defined mean. (the noise actually explains why the player doesn't hit the target 100% of the time).

This means, that no matter how noisy the system is, over a large number of trials, the player with the 0 ms ping will fare better.
Arbaal wrote: Lower is always better, but what is the target we need to optimize for?
I completely agree that optimization is the key here. The difference between 5ms and 6ms of input lag might equate to an average of 1 extra frag per million hours of gaming, but if it requires a huge sacrifice in image quality to achieve that 1 ms advantage, it is clearly not worth it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 00:08

Meanwhile, on the topic of the EIZO FG2421, I found out it refresh-rate multisyncs the strobe backlight in a range of 105Hz through 122Hz. Below 105Hz, it begins to frameskips/stutter. Above 122Hz, it displays a DVI signal error.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dash

Post by Dash » 10 Feb 2014, 16:54

Vega, I did in fact, secure an FW900. I just hooked it up and haven't really got a chance to play with it yet. Still have to get the proper drivers installed, etc. But it seems to be incredible thus far, (Minus the huge loss of space on my desk top) LOL!