XG2431 -PureXP- 240hz settings for fast FPS games like OW2

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
herdinstinct

XG2431 -PureXP- 240hz settings for fast FPS games like OW2

Post by herdinstinct » 04 Nov 2022, 19:54

Hello!

I've recently upgraded to the Viewsonic XG2431 primarily for its backlight strobing as I've read it's great for motion clarity. After parsed through some forum posts and tuning guides on this site I've noticed there being a focus on PureXP 60hz gaming for the best clarity.

I cant imagine running at 60hz for OW2, the game is stupid fast and adding 12ms+ latency just isn't an option (60hz vs 240hz).

- 1) Has any members in the community with the XG2431 figured out settings that work for them @240hz gaming?
- 2) Should I even use PureXP with 240hz? From my understanding I cant use PureXP with any windows G-Sync settings.
- 2a) Ive noticed some screen tearing with PureXP + Gsync off + VSync Off + frame limiter at 240hz. From my understanding Vsync can add 50ms+ so that isn't a viable option either. Any recommendations for this issue?
- 3) Is there any difference between Displayport (included w/ monitor) and HDMI 2.0?
- 4) Any Nvidia Control Panel settings I should set for clarity without impacting performance?

Thank you very much for reading my post :)

herdinstinct

Re: XG2431 -PureXP- 240hz settings for fast FPS games like OW2

Post by herdinstinct » 04 Nov 2022, 23:00

Many of my questions have been answered on other posts.
For anyone finds this post first, I'd like to redirect you to some helpful threads I found.

HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3555
-- I assume these ULMB options also apply to PureXP (please let me know if they do not :) )
-

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2022, 02:59

herdinstinct wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 23:00
I assume these ULMB options also apply to PureXP (please let me know if they do not :) )
Yes!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2022, 03:08

herdinstinct wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 19:54
I've recently upgraded to the Viewsonic XG2431 primarily for its backlight strobing as I've read it's great for motion clarity. After parsed through some forum posts and tuning guides on this site I've noticed there being a focus on PureXP 60hz gaming for the best clarity.
The focus is only because of things like emulators. XG2431 is the only desktop IPS monitor capable of CRT motion clarity with 60fps videos, 60fps sports, and 60fps emulators. Since it's the only IPS monitor on the market capable of good 60Hz single-strobe, there's been a large focus on this. So you might have misinterpreted this as advice to use 60fps 60Hz for your >60fps games.

You're not supposed to use 60Hz for OW.

In reality, there's a complete continuum between 60Hz through 240Hz. Some people use 180Hz as a good compromise that works with esports, others use 120Hz for a good experience, and others continue to use 240Hz. It's your choice/preference, as it is a continuum of quality tradeoffs.

Also, you can use Quick Frame Transport custom timings to transmit a 60Hz or 120Hz refresh cycle in 1/240sec, to reduce the input lag of low frame rates -- useful if you are wanting to do solo gameplay while avoiding too much strobe crosstalk.
herdinstinct wrote:
1) Has any members in the community with the XG2431 figured out settings that work for them @240hz gaming?
PureXP 240Hz is already optimized with the best settings straight out of the factory.
The bigger tweaking comes if you want to use a refresh rate less than 240Hz, and you want to use Quick Frame Transport (custom modes) to reduce input lag of lower refresh rates, while also reducing strobe crosstalk.
herdinstinct wrote:
2) Should I even use PureXP with 240hz?
It depends on your priorities. Blur reduction versus stutter reduction, etc. And what framerate ranges your game is capable of outputting.
herdinstinct wrote:
- 2a) Ive noticed some screen tearing with PureXP + Gsync off + VSync Off + frame limiter at 240hz. From my understanding Vsync can add 50ms+ so that isn't a viable option either. Any recommendations for this issue?
The 50ms only refers to 3/60sec for 60Hz for the worst laggy most framebuffer-backpressured VSYNC ON. That becomes 3/MaxHz for your 240Hz monitor, worst-case.

But you don't even have to settle for that either!

You must have never heard of the brand new low-lag VSYNC ON clones:

- VSYNC ON + NULL
- Low-Lag VSYNC HOWTO
- RTSS Scanline Sync (Tearingless VSYNC OFF)
- Special K Latent Sync (Tearingless VSYNC OFF)

Remember sometimes reducing stutter/blur can speed up reaction time bigger than the latency penalty. Optimizing for the human reaction time is part of the lag chain.

Turning on strobing on any LCD monitor on the market, adds a guaranteed minimum average ~0.5/240sec penalty (may be less for some parts of screen, may be more for other parts of screen, due to time differential between www.blurbusters.com/scanout -- not all pixels refresh at the same time -- versus global backlight flash). So you've got latency differentials for different pixels on the screen, which becomes more consistent again if you use framerate=Hz (a global sync technology in sync with a global strobe-backlight flash), which feels much better with strobing operations. If you're getting a tiny latency penalty anyway, milk it to your advantage (zero-out the jitters) with one of the framerate=Hz sync technologies.

But the lack of motion blur can speed up human reaction time. If the strobe crosstalk of 240Hz is distracting you again, a slight reduction in refresh rate (e.g. 180Hz) can also re-improve human reaction time at a magnitude bigger than the lag penalty of the refresh rate decrease. REMEMBER, optimizing for human reaction time is PART of the lag chain!

If you want the delicious TestUFO-smoothness with zero-jitter blur reduction in your games, for visual enjoyment, you'd want at least 2000Hz+ pollrate on your mouse, high mouse DPI, low sensitivity, and a game framerate=Hz. (The famous old 400-800dpi is because of CS:GO limitations, one third of FaZe team now use 1000dpi+ in more modern games like Fortnite)

Or just uncap your framerate and use VSYNC OFF. Brute framerate will help a lot. This approach works well with CS:GO which can easily exceed 300fps. But may not work as well in Overwatch.
herdinstinct wrote:
3) Is there any difference between Displayport (included w/ monitor) and HDMI 2.0?
Negligible for XG2431 specifically, focus on other optimizing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Boop

Post by Boop » 08 Nov 2022, 15:19

Overwatch 2 now has a framerate cap of 600FPS. The Devs originally said they wouldn't increase the cap due to technical limitations of large team fights, but that decision was reversed at some point. I'm guessing the BlurBusters Frame Rate Amplification Tech (FRAT) article helped changed their minds and the push for 500Hz displays.

I've been playing with PureXP Normal @240Hz with 600FPS cap and the game feels amazing. Any screen tearing is minimal at 600FPS.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2022, 18:22

Boop wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 15:19
Overwatch 2 now has a framerate cap of 600FPS. The Devs originally said they wouldn't increase the cap due to technical limitations of large team fights, but that decision was reversed at some point. I'm guessing the BlurBusters Frame Rate Amplification Tech (FRAT) article helped changed their minds and the push for 500Hz displays.

I've been playing with PureXP Normal @240Hz with 600FPS cap and the game feels amazing. Any screen tearing is minimal at 600FPS.
Yes, VSYNC OFF tearing is pretty minimized if you're using brute framerate & brute refresh rate concurrently, and you need to be competitive in esports.

PureXP behaves just like any other strobe backlight in your competitive advantages (like DyAc or Aim Stabilizer or other brand), and it is fair game to use VSYNC OFF if you can spray brute frame rate at it.

That's the right way to do latency-priority strobing. It's not as quality-priority as framerate=Hz, but your use case is good enough.

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 07 Dec 2022, 13:52

Specific to the XG2431;

Out of the box, 240hz won't need much in the way of special tuning. We're so close to the max pixel clock that the monitor can handle that you're not going to squeeze much more out of it by using a custom resolution. Turn on purexp to your preferred setting for brightness / clarity tradeoffs and enjoy. At most, use the strobe utility to create your own custom purexp tuning to suit your tolerances for different strobe or overshoot related artifacts.

It's only at lower refresh rates that you can really benefit from custom resolutions.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2022, 16:31

GammaLyrae wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 13:52
Specific to the XG2431;

Out of the box, 240hz won't need much in the way of special tuning. We're so close to the max pixel clock that the monitor can handle that you're not going to squeeze much more out of it by using a custom resolution. Turn on purexp to your preferred setting for brightness / clarity tradeoffs and enjoy. At most, use the strobe utility to create your own custom purexp tuning to suit your tolerances for different strobe or overshoot related artifacts.

It's only at lower refresh rates that you can really benefit from custom resolutions.
This is true. It's already in-house tuned to the best settings for 240Hz, so plug and play for that resolution.