LG Oled Motion Pro settings

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Zebedee

LG Oled Motion Pro settings

Post by Zebedee » 18 Nov 2022, 08:33

Hi All, can anyone give me some guidance on the various bfi (oled motion pro) options please? I am using the LG C1 so bfi is available up to 120hz. From memory the options are Low, Medium, High, Auto. At 120hz/fps for example, what would each option do? Is there an ideal option in terms of motion clarity for 30hz/60hz/120hz? Does bfi work at other non-standard refresh rates say 100hz? Thank you

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: LG Oled Motion Pro settings

Post by RealNC » 18 Nov 2022, 09:16

This is usually a trade-off between motion blur and brightness. The higher the setting, the less motion blur there is, but the darker the image becomes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 20 Nov 2022, 10:26

Zebedee wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 08:33
From memory the options are Low, Medium, High, Auto. At 120hz/fps for example, what would each option do? Is there an ideal option in terms of motion clarity for 30hz/60hz/120hz? Does bfi work at other non-standard refresh rates say 100hz? Thank you
Hi

Find your sweet spot for the game you're playing. As written above - brighter=blurrier, darker=clearer.
You should have a lot of flicer in 60Hz mode if you want the BFI to be usable. If your screen doesn't flicker at all at 60Hz, there's no way of getting clear motion in this mode, regardless of what your TV menu says.
Check Blurbusters main page and read the FAQ article about motion issues, to understand the flaws of double strobing etc.

For 30Hz, the BFI is basically pointless. You cannot get the motion to be clear when you track an object with your eyes. It will never work so you either get persistence blur or double-strobe blur. Basically you can't see anything in fast motion eitehr way and you should never play any games at 30fps if you value the motion clarity.

As far as my limited knowledge about OLED TV goes, I think you are stuck with the 60Hz + 120Hz modes if even that. Newer OLED TV panels from LG don't even have those two modes anymore.
Google. Maybe there is a way to get BFI at 85Hz, for example, which is often a really good solution for games requiring CPUs from 2040 to reach 120Hz and 60Hz flickers too much.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 21 Nov 2022, 08:18

Thanks both. I stumbled across this video specific for the C1 Oled which also helped for anyone interested.

phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Nov 2022, 16:43

Zebedee wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 08:18
Thanks both. I stumbled across this video specific for the C1 Oled which also helped for anyone interested.

phpBB [video]
Great video, with one very major error about Blur Busters Law!

Also cites Blur Busters / TestUFO properly.

Bet they've been inspired by my scanout diagrams!

Looks like C1 does better than C9, if I'm reading this correctly.

Minor correction, it says:
"At 4K 1ms = 2 pixels of motion blur when moving at ~ 1000 pixels/sec"
He must mean
"At 4K 2ms = 2 pixels of motion blur when moving at ~ 1000 pixels/sec" if that is a flattened "2".

Do you know the contact information for this YouTuber?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 24 Nov 2022, 03:37

Hi Chief. I've left a comment on the youtube video asking for contact details on your behalf.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2022, 05:24

Zebedee wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 03:37
Hi Chief. I've left a comment on the youtube video asking for contact details on your behalf.
I'm now in touch. He's making a correction video, which I've previewed. Once some errors are fixed, he'll publish.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!