Monitor's timings effects visual fluidity , need opinions

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
amorou

Monitor's timings effects visual fluidity , need opinions

Post by amorou » 21 Jan 2023, 13:15

Hi , ever since i got my monitor (Aoc 24g2u) , it felt like smth about it not right, even my 15 year old LG monitor that pushed to 74hz was better than this.

So when i use CVT-RB timings from CRU , games visuals appear more pleasing to the eye , not just when moving and stuff , even while stopping and looking at same frames.

Than started researching stuff , I ve read about increased blanking can reduce motion blur. (Yet also a fixed image looks better tho)

But here is my problem , when I use any other timing , mouse movement becomes really bad , but not just a added lag , its less consistent.

The diffrence is pretty obvious , I can pick it in blind test 10000 out of 10000 times.

So why this is happening? What can I do to have nice visuals and consistent mouse movement.
Maybe increased pixel clock emit more electromagnetic stuff and some circut on monitor cant keep up? idk

Not sure if this is the proper board to post it.
Attachments
blurrrrrr.png
blurrrrrr.png (54.63 KiB) Viewed 3549 times

merlinch

Re: Monitor's timings effects visual fluidity , need opinions

Post by merlinch » 10 Mar 2023, 07:26

Do you use Overdrive boost or MBR 20? From my settings here /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11677 it's better than 144hz. Do you use 1000hz mouse?

Probably try to use CVT-RB timing / Default, but only change the Vertical Total (120hz stopped at 1405, 144hz stopped at 1171)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2023, 12:13

ALERT: My Reply is Fact, Not Opinion
amorou wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 13:15
Hi , ever since i got my monitor (Aoc 24g2u) , it felt like smth about it not right, even my 15 year old LG monitor that pushed to 74hz was better than this.

So when i use CVT-RB timings from CRU , games visuals appear more pleasing to the eye , not just when moving and stuff , even while stopping and looking at same frames.

But here is my problem , when I use any other timing , mouse movement becomes really bad , but not just a added lag , its less consistent.

The diffrence is pretty obvious , I can pick it in blind test 10000 out of 10000 times.
Are you familiar with the Frameskipping Test?
https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Timings can affect frameskipping due to firmware bugs, etc.
See viewtopic.php?t=3598
That's a very old thread. Look at the data of that thread.

However, motion blur from increased jitter, is a separate problem from reduced motion blur from better strobing. They're not the same thing:
amorou wrote:
Than started researching stuff , I ve read about increased blanking can reduce motion blur. (Yet also a fixed image looks better tho)
Unrelated different cause of motion blur (aka strobe crosstalk).

Your problem is frameskipping, not motion blur.

(Although high-frequency frameskipping can jitter so fast, that it looks like extra motion blur -- ala stutter-to-blur continuum, see demo www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 where stutter is the same thing as persistence motion blur, where stutter is akin to a slow-vibrating music string and blur is akin to a fast-vibrating music string that vibrates so fast it's blurry.)

But don't confuse these two (frameskipping problem versus strobe crosstalk problem).
amorou wrote:
So why this is happening? What can I do to have nice visuals and consistent mouse movement.
Maybe increased pixel clock emit more electromagnetic stuff and some circut on monitor cant keep up? idk
That's as erroneous as 2+2=5 because your monitor has a known frameskipping bug. So that's just conspiracy or flat-earther stuff. Stay with science please, as we are a science-based discussion forum.

Frameskipping is caused by monitor firmware not being able to keep up with specific signal timings, or via other bugs. Some early monitors shipped with firmware bugs that created frameskipping for years, and your monitor is one of those models! Known Bug, Known Issue, Not Opinion, Not Electricity, Not EMI.

Motion blur can come from many causes (GtG or MPRT).

I have moved this thread to the correct forum (Display Overclocking).

I've even been paid by a monitor manufacturer to fix frameskipping problem.

For more display science, you may wish to study the textbook reading at www.blurbusters.com/area51
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

amorou

Post by amorou » 14 Apr 2023, 19:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 12:13
amorou wrote:

Are you familiar with the Frameskipping Test?
https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Timings can affect frameskipping due to firmware bugs, etc.
See viewtopic.php?t=3598
That's a very old thread. Look at the data of that thread.

However, motion blur from increased jitter, is a separate problem from reduced motion blur from better strobing. They're not the same thing:
amorou wrote:
Unrelated different cause of motion blur (aka strobe crosstalk).

Your problem is frameskipping, not motion blur.

(Although high-frequency frameskipping can jitter so fast, that it looks like extra motion blur -- ala stutter-to-blur continuum, see demo www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 where stutter is the same thing as persistence motion blur, where stutter is akin to a slow-vibrating music string and blur is akin to a fast-vibrating music string that vibrates so fast it's blurry.)

But don't confuse these two (frameskipping problem versus strobe crosstalk problem).
amorou wrote:
That's as erroneous as 2+2=5 because your monitor has a known frameskipping bug. So that's just conspiracy or flat-earther stuff. Stay with science please, as we are a science-based discussion forum.

Frameskipping is caused by monitor firmware not being able to keep up with specific signal timings, or via other bugs. Some early monitors shipped with firmware bugs that created frameskipping for years, and your monitor is one of those models! Known Bug, Known Issue, Not Opinion, Not Electricity, Not EMI.

Motion blur can come from many causes (GtG or MPRT).

I have moved this thread to the correct forum (Display Overclocking).

I've even been paid by a monitor manufacturer to fix frameskipping problem.

For more display science, you may wish to study the textbook reading at www.blurbusters.com/area51
Is that just frameskipping , or smth more ?
Attachments
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (120 KiB) Viewed 2191 times