Auto-activate BR when I plug my monitor [RESOLVED]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
7n7

Auto-activate BR when I plug my monitor [RESOLVED]

Post by 7n7 » 22 Jul 2014, 08:21

Hi,

I just bought an Asus VG278HE monitor and installed the Toasty-X software. Lightboost is working well.
I have two other (standard 60 Hz) monitors and all three of them are plugged in the same electrical extension so I can turn them on and off with a single button. It works well but when I turn the ASUS monitor on with this switch (so actually more like plugging it on), the LightBoost if off and CTRL+ALT+PLUS doesn't activate it and I have to reinitialize the display in Strobelight. So here are my two questions:

- Do you know a workaround so LightBoost starts on when I plug this monitor?
- Is there the same problem with the BenQ XL2720Z model?

Thanks.
Last edited by 7n7 on 01 Aug 2014, 10:30, edited 2 times in total.

7n7

Re: How to auto-activate LightBoost when I plug my monitor?

Post by 7n7 » 25 Jul 2014, 16:09

I tried the Advanced EDID Override Method but it doesn't work any better... I still have time to return the ASUS and get a BenQ XL2720Z instead though. Can someone tell me if it works better? I just want to have LightBoost always on.

EDIT: Just read this. So I guess even with a hardware modification, LightBoost still need a first nudge to start after the monitor is plugged... And the BenQ won't be better.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Jul 2014, 20:35

You need the hardware mod to initialize lightboost and it still requires the signal anyway. Yes the 2720Z would need a similar (currently unknown) hardware mod (except strobelight will NOT work to initialize it on any Z series), but you can use benq blur reduction, anyway, which is just a toggle on the monitor and doesn't even require it being hooked to a COMPUTER (you can use it on a console).

if you do get the Benq, you won't even need to use lightboost. On the same screen, benq BR And lightboost, when compared, benq's own blur reduction is better and simply far better to use than lightboost. Lightboost has less strobing crosstalk compared to benq's native BR (due to accelerated scanout) and thus the VT tweaks thus aren't needed (wouldn't work anyway as LB requires certain VT's), but you will still have overdrive artifacts due to benq's AMA; they just won't be quite as bad as BBR mode.

The Asus screens will have fewer overdrive artifacts than Benq, due to tracefree's RTC being noticeably superior. But yes, the benq WILL be better, because there's no reason to use lightboost on the Benq, compared to BBR, and BBR is always on if you want it to be on.

7n7

Post by 7n7 » 27 Jul 2014, 07:02

Thanks for your answer. Just one precision: Does the BenQ remember your settings when you unplug it? Can you have BBR already on when you plug it back?
Last edited by 7n7 on 28 Jul 2014, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Re: How to auto-activate blur reduction when I plug my monit

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Jul 2014, 09:19

It remembers all your settings HOWEVER BBR is turned OFF when you plug it back in. You can turn it on by a programmed 'quick key" on the touchpad or program it on the "S" Switch (2420/2720Z) in a profile.

It's GOOD that it is turned off by default; there are modes that should but do not enable BBR correctly at certain screen timings, but still give the backlight extra voltage--(only seems to happen at 50hz strobing when single strobe is turned on, might be a problem with certain 50hz settings and AMD cards; 60 hz is fine). 50hz on Geforce cards doesn't seem to be affected--this ONLY seems to affect SINGLE STROBE at 50hz and not double strobe, so avoid 50 hz single strobing (use 60hz or use a custom resolution for any game that tries to force 50hz anyway--(only Crysis and Crysis 2 seem to do this in DX10 mode).

You wouldn't want to use 50hz strobing anyway. 60 hz strobing flicker is already barely possible to handle.....50hz will give you seizures.

The monitor will reset and power cycle if there is too much voltage going to the backligt, and power back on with blur reduction turned off. If it were always on by default, that would be a BIG problem.

7n7

Post by 7n7 » 28 Jul 2014, 02:32

Ok, I was actually asking that because I didn't want color fidelity to depend on the blur reduction activation, and the color settings used are in fact quite different on the ASUS if LB is on or off. But I read that the BenQ doesn't shift colors and gamma so much, just brightness, so I guess it wouldn't be so bad having BR off sometimes.

And if it's just a button to push it's ok, as long as I don't have to wait for 20 seconds for StrobeLight to reinitialize the monitor... -_-

PS: I don't intend to use 50 Hz, it would be a shame since the monitor is 144. Even just in Windows and without blur reduction, 144 Hz is already really nice!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Jul 2014, 10:51

There's no noticeable color shift at all. Nothing even remotely ilke lightboost. Only luminosity/brightness.
There is VERY slight variance in color balance, but nothing that affects quality; you'd literally need equipment to see it.

7n7

Post by 7n7 » 30 Jul 2014, 14:56

Can you confirm that the BenQ XL2720Z monitor turns ON when plugged if it was ON when previously unplugged? I reckon every monitor should work that way but I just would like to be sure before buying... =]

EDIT: Nevermind, I've created a new topic. This one can be closed, thanks again.