Motion blur tech x HDR 400?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Tiberiusmoon

Motion blur tech x HDR 400?

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 05 Mar 2023, 04:43

I understand the strobing effect and how dimming improves blur reduction, but I wonder why HDR is locked out when enabling motion blur tech on my monitor. (XG2431)

Most monitors will have static metadata (HDR10) which is manually setting brightness and darkness level once and let the game/system handle the rest. (Dynamic metadata does not require user input)
A vesa certified display HDR 400 https://displayhdr.org/#tab-400 uses global dimming while anything above uses local dimming.
Global dimming being the brightness setting in the monitor and local dimming being certain areas on the monitor.

So with this information I wonder: Is it/should it be possible to use HDR 400 and Motion blur tech together?
I know that crosstalk can be an issue if the brightness is increased, but since the metadata is static it can be manually capped to acceptable ranges.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know HDR hardware is trash, most game developers don't wanna touch it until hardware improves and only a select few monitors use dynamic metadata.