XG2431 vs XL2546k Without Strobing

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
molsenalan

XG2431 vs XL2546k Without Strobing

Post by molsenalan » 12 Mar 2023, 10:07

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find anything that speaks directly to this.
I'm sensitive to strobing, and it gives me headaches and nausea, so I'm trying to find out which monitor has the best motion clarity without this feature.
Optimum tech claims that the xg2431 is better, but that's one channel, and I'd like to hear if anyone else has done tests on this.

Anonymous316387

Re: XG2431 vs XL2546k Without Strobing

Post by Anonymous316387 » 05 Apr 2023, 19:06

molsenalan wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 10:07
Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find anything that speaks directly to this.
I'm sensitive to strobing, and it gives me headaches and nausea, so I'm trying to find out which monitor has the best motion clarity without this feature.
Optimum tech claims that the xg2431 is better, but that's one channel, and I'd like to hear if anyone else has done tests on this.
I just returned a BenQ XL2546K because I had coil whine emanating from the screen (even when turned off, yes!)
and the same for an old XL2566K (the recent 360hz model!)

And to say that the strobing of the XL2546K is "supposed" to be the best on the market, it is true that it is one of the brightest in strobing and it is "rather" not bad, however I do not find the strobing of the advantageous XL2546K (like all the strobings on the market for that matter!) I am precisely part of the anti-strobing team! (because I find that it is precisely against-productive) at least on the games I play.

And so, I don't know if you know this but the TN have a black trail behind fast object ( like UFO test of Blur Busters ) i think it's called black smearing, it also happens when you scroll over text ( Like VA Panel )

And before this XL2546K I had a ViewSonic XG2431 that I sent back because it was just to "try" and therefore I can give you a conclusion.

Without strobing, the BenQ at level 2 and 3 of the overdrive (AMA) has overshoot (which, oddly enough, it shows on the UFO tests) but not that much in games! ( This is why UFO tests are not 100% absolute truth because the perception with our eyes is not 100% identical on this test and in games. )
However it is true that the image is not "sharp" like an OLED, not in terms of blur but in terms of "images", there is like this famous black trail with a little overshoot when turning quickly in games.

And strangely, it's sharp but i can't be really very reactive, is it because of the matte anti-reflective treatment which reduces the sharpness which makes my eyes have trouble focusing or is it because is 1080p doing this to me? I don't know, maybe.

However, it has better mouse/keyboard responsiveness than on my Acer 1440p XV272UX! (better overdrive tuning)

Regarding the ViewSonic XG2431, it has an interesting performance without strobing! And you know what ? I took it back! (because my trial period was too short and I was doing work when I had it...)

It's simple, it's the first IPS panel to have an overdrive mode out of 3 (the last, the fastest) to have very little overshoot!
For example my Acer XV272UX has a very high overshoot on mode 3, on mode 2 a little bit but this ViewSonic has very little overshoot on mode 3 and has no overshoot on the second mode!
The problem is that I find this ViewSonic a bit slow in mouse/keyboard feeling and therefore may have a slightly higher input lag than the XL2546K? (after that remains IPS! but good)

I used it mostly in strobing! (and most of the time I removed it!) It's simple, it has a better performance in strobing (much less crosstalk, unlike the Zowie or I find crosstalk infamous) but the ViewSonic is too dim with strobing even in custom mode with the ViewSonic Blur Utility software.

And like I said, I'm not a big fan of Strobing.

Performance without strobing is good for image quality! no artifact/black smearing/little overshoot on the last overdrive mode, however in terms of response time/ghosting and keyboard/mouse feeling maybe the XL2546K is "better", you will have "more time" to react on the BenQ than on the ViewSonic (but it remains to be verified) because my conclusion of why i sent the BenQ back is that in the end I don't like it at all, horrible colors, too much color clipping (especially on the red, for Apex Legends it's a deal breaker) and towards the end of my test I couldn't achieve anything (is it because of my brain which made me play less well because i knew that in the end I didn't like the screen anymore? ) I felt like a dumb guy in front of the screen as if i couldn't see anything/i didn't react when an enemy was in front of me and the image wasn't "smooth" as if I absolutely had to put the G-Sync.

The feeling is basically the same on the ViewSonic but on the BenQ I felt like I had to tryhard constantly.

The ViewSonic does not have excellent colors because it is a simple standard IPS and not even wide-gammut however it does not do color clipping.

In conclusion, I still recommend the XG2431 because it is cheaper! Anyway I will re-test it, why?

Because I already said, I didn't have enough time during my previous try and because in the end my Acer XV272UX that I kept for almost 1 year I decided to part with it, in the end I find it slow , I feel slow on it and the performance in ghosting is clearly not the best, moreover below 170fps if I drop at this rate, the overshoot becomes even more important, it cost more than the ViewSonic, certainly it will easily replace my Acer.